Page 177 of 934
« First < 77127167173174175176177 178179180181187227277677 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 05:25 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:
All right, fuck IQ. Time to go with a real company.

Pfizer it is.
This is a swing or short term trade? Why, Pfizer? Is it a play on PBM regulation?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:12 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I didn't know that fish observed President's Day.
They do when its 28 degrees and the winds blowing.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 06:16 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I hate Presidents day!

Post office=closed
Banks=Closed
Stock Market=Closed
Fishing =Closed
How is fishing closed?
[Reply]
Nightfyre 06:17 PM 02-18-2019
They do when its 28 degrees and the winds blowing.
I think you need to sack it up sir. I was out yesterday in 10 below, 25 mph winds, and hauling my fishing gear over a mile each way in a sled.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:26 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
What happened? Most dudes are coming out favorably. Preparers are fussy because government made something simple insanely hard, but most dudes are better than they were before.
I just hate that I work hard, supposed to get more money, and it goes back into taxes for the city, school (see below) and everyone wants more. Every bill went up Jan 1. DTV, water, paper etc.

The city decided to build a new city hall and pool. I am close to paying as much in taxes as my house payment. Which I get no credit for. F Hennepin County.

We prepaid a lot. We do not have anything taken out for farm cash rent, so we have to prepay it. I get no credit for tuition for kid because I MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY.

Let me tell you what it is like to be a teacher in the district I teach in.

I voted for the referendum. It usually helps with a pay raise. I will pay more in property taxes and income tax so that I can get a pay raise so I pay more taxes. The ultimate vicious circle.

Our school district is still 5 Mill in the hole because the Fed government does not fully fund Special Ed. Meaning I may lose my co-worker who I really like. And may have to train someone new. I hate that.

ok. /rant for now.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:51 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
I think you need to sack it up sir. I was out yesterday in 10 below, 25 mph winds, and hauling my fishing gear over a mile each way in a sled.
Now thats dedication. I'm impressed!
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:10 PM 02-18-2019
And you didn't know that the fish had the day off. That's rough.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:18 PM 02-18-2019
Canyon Ferry?
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:25 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The problem is that taxes are stupidly confusing, so most people don't really understand them well enough to pay close attention to what their employers are doing with their withholdings. Most "normal" people did, indeed, pay fewer taxes this past year, but most also didn't withhold enough, so overall people are getting less back in refunds than they're used to. That's causing a lot of angst, as a lot of people use them as a sort of forced savings account that then allows them to catch up on some things once a year.

In other words, yes, people paid fewer taxes this year. But most just absorbed the extra $50 per paycheck without really noticing it but are now short the extra $500 they were typically used to at the end. To 90% of people, that feels like the tax bill screwed them over even when it really didn't.

Here's a good article that talks through some of the numbers:
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/15/tax-...ont-panic.html
Do they really use it as a sort of savings account? Most people I see around here are using tax refunds like a 2nd Black Friday. In fact, Walmart will have a massive electronics sale any time now.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:06 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Do they really use it as a sort of savings account? Most people I see around here are using tax refunds like a 2nd Black Friday. In fact, Walmart will have a massive electronics sale any time now.
Well, what I mean is that they use it as a savings account throughout the year so that they can spend it all on something in the spring (as opposed to reducing withholdings to aim for $0 owed). I'd bet it's a minority that actually puts the refund itself into a savings account.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:18 PM 02-18-2019
Well, what I mean is that they use it as a savings account throughout the year so that they can spend it all on something in the spring (as opposed to reducing withholdings to aim for $0 owed). I'd bet it's a minority that actually puts the refund itself into a savings account.
Aiming for $0 has always been the goal. Unfortunately, as you said, most people don't understand that.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:25 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Aiming for $0 has always been the goal. Unfortunately, as you said, most people don't understand that.
I buy that to an extent, but I actually do like getting a little back each year (typically around $1,500). Though I'm fine with my savings as well, I like the little boost. My wife and I usually use it for a little vacation or upgrading something around the house.

Is it technically the best financial decision? No. But the best you're going to do with that $1,500 in a savings account is getting about $30 in interest (which is taxable income, so really more like $20-$25) for it over the course of a year. That's less than I'll pay for a decent dinner, so I'm OK with missing out on that to be able to blow some money that was otherwise not in the budget. It's fun.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:27 PM 02-18-2019
I buy that to an extent, but I actually do like getting a little back each year (typically around $1,500). Though I'm fine with my savings as well, I like the little boost. My wife and I usually use it for a little vacation or upgrading something around the house.

Is it technically the best financial decision? No. But the best you're going to do with that $1,500 in a savings account is getting about $30 in interest (which is taxable income, so really more like $20-$25) for it over the course of a year. That's less than I'll pay for a decent dinner, so I'm OK with missing out on that for the fun of blowing some money that was otherwise not in the budget. It's fun.
I get that. You're also thinking about it rationally. Many of the people complaining around here are angry because now they can't get a 65" big screen that they couldn't afford in the first place.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 10:32 PM 02-18-2019
I've got asshole renters that need that lump sum to catch up their rent.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:36 PM 02-18-2019
I've got asshole renters that need that lump sum to catch up their rent.
We're speaking the same language. :-)
[Reply]
Page 177 of 934
« First < 77127167173174175176177 178179180181187227277677 > Last »
Up