ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 123
1 23451151101 > Last »
The Lounge>****The Official 2019 STL Cardinals Thread****
BigRedChief 03:23 AM 01-10-2019
Cardinals announce 25-man Opening Day roster for the 2019 season.
Spoiler!

2019 Opening Day Line up
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Prison Bitch 07:22 AM 01-10-2019
First. As it should be
[Reply]
Dartgod 07:35 AM 01-10-2019
Did they drop the "s" from their name like Stanford did?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:23 AM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Did they drop the "s" from their name like Stanford did?
No, you can see in the OP the title is "Cardinals", not "Cardinal". Can you please add the "s" good sir?
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 11:55 AM 01-10-2019
Where are you getting that projected rotation from? No way Wainwright isn’t in the rotation until he gets hurt again.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:31 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Where are you getting that projected rotation from? No way Wainwright isn’t in the rotation until he gets hurt again.
I think it was a Goold STL Today column. Just googled it. Didn't vet or give my opinion etc. Just a placeholder.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 03:06 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I think it was a Goold STL Today column. Just googled it. Didn't vet or give my opinion etc. Just a placeholder.
Gotcha. We all know Wacha will get hurt at some point this year too. Wonder if they’re planning on Reyes as a bullpen arm? Hudson? Gant? Lots of starting options this year.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:42 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Gotcha. We all know Wacha will get hurt at some point this year too. Wonder if they’re planning on Reyes as a bullpen arm? Hudson? Gant? Lots of starting options this year.
Hudson seems like a better fit as a starter.

So does Reyes even though he's going to have limited innings, Listen to one podcast that went over this........the theory is that if you put Reyes in the bullpen, you limit his innings and give some help to the team where its badly needed. Their downside was injury. Does he get warmed up properly? Will he be honest with some tweaks before they become time missing injuries? He will come out throwing hard, does that make him more susceptible to injury.

The best way Reyes could help this team this year is get up to speed as a starter by the playoffs. Have the innings left to pitch 3-4 times. If that happens and he is performing like he has in the past........ Martinez/Flaherty/Mikolas/Reyes will be as good a starting staff as any team in the playoffs.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:38 AM 01-30-2019
Man do we need this guy to live up to his potential

Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak recently called this upcoming season “huge” for Reyes. It’s easy to see why. The range of outcomes is virtually limitless for him in 2019. He could never pitch again. He could be one of the most dominant pitchers in the game. Neither is an overstatement.

“There’s reason for hope. When you boil it down, he just hasn’t been healthy for two years,” Mozeliak said. “The reason we’re still so excited is, when he’s healthy, he has an electric arm.”

The lean muscle Reyes has added to his square 6-foot-4 frame is there, but the fat he shed is more obvious. It shows most easily in his face, which can be puffy with baby fat when he’s not in workout mode.

When Reyes first showed up at Next Level Fitness in November, he was a doughy 248 pounds. With spring training approaching, he’s down to 233 even after adding several pounds of muscle.

This winter’s workouts centered on strengthening and training the specific arm and torso muscles that could bear the most strain when he starts pitching again. He has thrown a handful of bullpen sessions already. His exercise physiologist, Hugo Botero, manipulates his arm and shoulder in various postures, probing for weakness. The idea is to strengthen both the muscles and the connective tissues, which are often the breaking points for pitchers. The goal is to maintain strength and control at each awkward stage of the throwing motion.

“If we can train and sustain in most of the positions players get hurt in, if he ever gets to those positions and he’s under fatigue, his shoulder knows exactly what to do,” Botero said. “We used to think we wanted to avoid those positions.”

Reyes said he feels as strong as he has at any time in his life, but he admits he said similar things a year ago. Maybe this will be the season he stays healthy and shows the world what his powerful right arm can do.


For those wondering about the strength and health of #STLCards pitcher Alex Reyes’s right shoulder, just listen for the thwack in this video: pic.twitter.com/z70w144XZq

— Mark Saxon (@markasaxon) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
O.city 08:58 AM 01-30-2019
Should have traded him for a bat when they had the chance IMO
[Reply]
O.city 10:08 AM 01-30-2019
What the hell is gonna happen with Harper and Machado?

I mean, I get the Cards don't want to sign either to a huge long term deal, but as this lingers on at some point the value make it worth it right?
[Reply]
Matrix 10:30 AM 01-30-2019
88-74
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:07 PM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
What the hell is gonna happen with Harper and Machado?

I mean, I get the Cards don't want to sign either to a huge long term deal, but as this lingers on at some point the value make it worth it right?
Owners are now at the point of open collusion on free agents, which is going to lead to a work stoppage in a few years.

The irony is Harper is now someone you're likely to get surplus value on in FA precisely because everyone else is purposefully colluding to remove themselves from the market.
[Reply]
O.city 12:19 PM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Owners are now at the point of open collusion on free agents, which is going to lead to a work stoppage in a few years.

The irony is Harper is now someone you're likely to get surplus value on in FA precisely because everyone else is purposefully colluding to remove themselves from the market.
How are they colluding?

I mean, we've seen evidence that these huge long term deals don't really ever work out that well.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:23 PM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Man do we need this guy to live up to his potential
It doesn't matter how healthy he gets. What matters is how healthy he stays. I've said in every damn one of these threads for 3 years that if the kid keeps !@#$ing scalpula loading, he's going to keep breaking down. He simply cannot stay healthy doing that.

So just watch his delivery and if he's late off still with his arm trailing, you'll know that we're looking at another injury.

But again - good thinking not activating and optioning the kid for rehab so we could save a year of service time there, Moe. Fantastic work.

It blows my mind how bad he is about basic service time and options shit.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 123
1 23451151101 > Last »
Up