ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 18
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Berry, Houtston & Peters Not at Voluntary OTAs
Meatloaf 12:37 PM 05-23-2017
As per Terez Paylor via Arrowhead Addict.

Just thought I'd post this as a quick FYI. Carry on.
[Reply]
cmdrzman 04:45 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by Danguardace:
Reid/Dorsey still need to justify their position by building a solid team and winning games. If they Rush Mahomes in with this tough schedule could destroy his confidence and undermine GM/HC positions.

Plus Chiefs dont have Round 1 Pick, how stupid will they look if they hand the Bills a top 10 pick.

This team can compete for a Superbowl, with a (hopefully) healthy Defense and Hill/Kelce on offense. A division with with 2 rookie HCs and the Raiders who we own despite their media hype.

I dont see why you rush the Kid in with so much to play for.
Do you honestly believe Alex Smith is gonna give his best? He knows that team doesn't trust him or believe in him because they just gave up two 1st rd picks for a QB- He knows this is his last year in KC. No sense in putting off the inevitable- As soon as Alex throws a couple bad passes or the Chiefs get upset at home by some bad team the fans are gonna be calling for the kid-
[Reply]
cmdrzman 04:50 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
What don't you understand about this? The situations for Winston, Mariota, and Bridgewater were completely different than the situation Mahomes is in. They all were drafted by shitty teams without established, successful veteran quarterbacks. Mahomes was drafted by an excellent football team with an established and successful veteran QB. The best thing for both the team and Mahomes is for him to sit behind Smith this season and learn how to play QB in Reid's offense.
Steelers went 9-7, 13-3, 11-5 the prior 3 years before Big Ben was drafted and he started his rookie year....They were gonna do the same thing with him, sit him for a year until Maddox got hurt and he went in week 3 and the rest is history

They were established and a better team than the current Chiefs
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:56 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by cmdrzman:
As soon as Alex throws a couple bad passes or the Chiefs get upset at home by some bad team the fans are gonna be calling for the kid-
That's on retarded fans like you.

Alex doesn't give a shit what fans are clamoring for, or how long they think he has on his career. He'll be playing for his teammates, and vice versa. Not one of them is guaranteed so much as tomorrow in a league that can separate your cranium from your spine in a moment, or explode your knee like a roll of biscuits in the sun.

He's the starting quarterback this fall for a quality football team. He'll comport himself as such. Maybe take notes.
[Reply]
Danguardace 05:04 AM 06-15-2017
Do you honestly believe Alex Smith is gonna give his best? He knows that team doesn't trust him or believe in him because they just gave up two 1st rd picks for a QB- He knows this is his last year in KC. No sense in putting off the inevitable- As soon as Alex throws a couple bad passes or the Chiefs get upset at home by some bad team the fans are gonna be calling for the kid-
I have no doubt he will, he will want to win a ring this season maybe his best remaining chance.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:02 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Shocking... Phillip Gaines not practicing today because of a sore knee.
Is he related to Kyle Zimmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Sandy Vagina 06:15 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
That's on retarded fans like you.

Alex doesn't give a shit what fans are clamoring for, or how long they think he has on his career. He'll be playing for his teammates, family, and Foundation $. Not one of them is guaranteed so much as tomorrow in a league that can separate your cranium from your spine in a moment, or explode your knee like a roll of biscuits in the sun.

He's the starting quarterback this fall for a quality football team. He'll comport himself as such. Maybe take notes.
All of THIS.. with a minor fix.

I don't even GAF which one of them is taking starting snaps anymore. Smith has four more good years, is getting his money, and Chiefs' football at this point transcends which name is on the back of the jersey. It will be a fun season regardless. :-)
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:30 AM 06-15-2017
GMFB on the Chiefs:
https://youtu.be/e80LUIV8PHE
https://youtu.be/Vby5uDfuzpw
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
kcchiefsus 07:40 AM 06-15-2017
Steelers went 9-7, 13-3, 11-5 the prior 3 years before Big Ben was drafted and he started his rookie year....They were gonna do the same thing with him, sit him for a year until Maddox got hurt and he went in week 3 and the rest is history

They were established and a better team than the current Chiefs
So, Big Ben only went in because Maddox got injured. Likewise, Mahomes won't see the field unless Smith is injured.
[Reply]
cmdrzman 08:40 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by kcchiefsus:
So, Big Ben only went in because Maddox got injured. Likewise, Mahomes won't see the field unless Smith is injured.
My point was, they planned on sitting him a year and threw him in week 3 because Maddox was hurt and he played very well-

Chiefs offense is a dink and dunk manage the ball type offense- I'm not saying the kid has to go all Air Coryell and stuff- but whats wrong with him handing the ball to West and hitting safe short passes? It's what Smith does anyways-

He's got arguably one of the best TE and a big target in Kelce- who by they way was targeted 30% of the passes thrown by Smith. Hell, I could hit Kelce on dig route holding a beer in one hand a a cigarette in the other...The Chiefs are not at the level of the Pats or Steelers- yet anyways- There's some good up and coming teams in the AFC that can beat the Chiefs.. Titans, Raiders, Colts etc.. I could see your point if the Chiefs made the AFCCG with ease last year or even went deep into the playoffs the last two years but they didn't- And right now there's nothing to suggest they'll do any better in the playoffs this year that they did the last 2 years. There's some hot young AFC QB's on the rise and as soon as Brady and Big Ben retire- which could be in a year or two- the whole AFC is gonna be wide open... Wouldn't it make sense to start jockeying for position now? why not get the kid up to speed with guys like Mariota, Carr and Luck?
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:47 AM 06-15-2017
Chiefs offense is a dink and dunk manage the ball type offense- I'm not saying the kid has to go all Air Coryell and stuff- but whats wrong with him handing the ball to West and hitting safe short passes? It's what Smith does anyways-
Because, it sucks.

They've finally decided the experiment with Alex Smith is over. There's only so much he can or is willing to do.

They didn't bring Mahomes in to train him to be Alex Smith. They brought him in to see if he can be the elete QB every team wants.
[Reply]
Danguardace 08:50 AM 06-15-2017
Wouldn't it make sense to start jockeying for position now? why not get the kid up to speed with guys like Mariota, Carr and Luck?
I think others have made this point to you (tried anyway), until proven otherwise Alex Smith is a viable NFL QB who on this team can win 10-12 games. Those other teams had piss poor situations so really had no choice but to start their Rookies. they couldn't get any worse.

Smith may be a plateau QB but I think he has earned at least the right to prove he can taken this team on again. This is practically a Contract year as Chiefs can cut him in 18 with little Cap hit.
[Reply]
cmdrzman 08:52 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Because, it sucks.

They've finally decided the experiment with Alex Smith is over. There's only so much he can or is willing to do.

They didn't bring Mahomes in to train him to be Alex Smith. They brought him in to see if he can be the elete QB every team wants.
I understand that-

I agree, it's over with Smith- everybody knows it- but if he's gonna dink and dunk his way through the season and rely on the defense and ST's to win games why not let the kid do the same thing for a year then? I'm not suggesting they dont turn the kid loose in 2018, but there's simply no better way to develop a QB than to give him game time experience- Bring him along slowly in 2017 with this current playbook.., then open it up in 2018- It's what the Raiders did with Carr and it resulted it big time dividends
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 08:57 AM 06-15-2017
Mahomes will get to take reps against the first team defense all year as a backup... those reps are as valuable as anything. He can make mistakes and learn on the fly without any major effect on games.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:01 AM 06-15-2017
I understand that-

I agree, it's over with Smith- everybody knows it- but if he's gonna dink and dunk his way through the season and rely on the defense and ST's to win games why not let the kid do the same thing for a year then? I'm not suggesting they dont turn the kid loose in 2018, but there's simply no better way to develop a QB than to give him game time experience- Bring him along slowly in 2017 with this current playbook.., then open it up in 2018- It's what the Raiders did with Carr and it resulted it big time dividends
Because if they come up one millimeter short of where they were last year, with at least one playoff victory, they will have a squad of solid veterans they're trying to sell on the new guy right when they've squandered a year of their collective viability to let that new kid toy with their career like an entitled toddler.

And that's the bright side. That's not counting the risk of a prominent anchor or two of the team losing his career to injury in the mean time, or Mahomes getting lost in the fog of play and pulling a Dee Ford misreading a play and instead of just running the wrong direction on a tackle, running into a kneesplosion or an 'I'm Batman' situation.

I get it, you see Alex as a ceiling short of the SB and the story ends there. Try for a moment to imagine that his teammates see it differently.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 09:04 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Mahomes will get to take reps against the first team defense all year as a backup... those reps are as valuable as anything. He can make mistakes and learn on the fly without any major effect on games.
I respectfully disagree. MMQB article sums it up nicely:

Every team would love to keep its highly drafted quarterback under wraps for a season or two so he can slowly transform into a franchise player, but it’s a pipedream in today’s NFL

Every year we see NFL teams draft an unready quarterback in the first or second round, with the intention of having him learn from the bench as a rookie. The Bears (Mitchell Trubisky), the Texans (Deshaun Watson) and especially the Chiefs (Pat Mahomes) will toy with this idea in 2017. It’s a logical and admirable approach. Every team wants its guy to be like Aaron Rodgers emerging from Brett Favre’s shadow, turning an apprenticeship into stardom. The only problem: that never happens anymore.

Literally. It … does … not … happen.

Since 2006, no team that drafted a quarterback in the first two rounds sat him for the entirety of his rookie season and then saw him become a long-term franchise quarterback. In fact, only two QBs in that time who sat out their entire rookie seasons have even gone on to start at least 48 games: Colin Kaepernick, with the 49ers, and Chad Henne, with the Dolphins.
The previous generation of quarterbacks saw a handful of highly drafted players sit and learn. The best examples were Carson Palmer in Cincinnati, Drew Brees in San Diego, Philip Rivers in San Diego, and, of course, Rodgers in Green Bay. There were also the unique cases of Tony Romo and Tom Brady, guys who were brought in to fill the back of the roster and wound up developing well enough to become quality starters once they took the field. (Incidentally, both permanently replaced Drew Bledsoe.)
But those quarterbacks were all drafted at least 12 years ago. No one has followed that path since.

What’s changed in those dozen years? You can start at everyone’s favorite place and blame the culture. The NFL is an impatient, win-now league more than ever! There’s some truth to that, plus the simple fact that teams who draft a quarterback in the early rounds usually do so because they didn’t have a good one to begin with. The Favre-led Packers selecting Rodgers is an extreme outlier. Many teams with highly drafted QBs don’t have a solid starter for him to sit behind.

But the bigger issue is time. In 2011, the current collective bargaining agreement significantly reduced practice hours, both during the season and and during the offseason. Naturally, it’s the backup players’ reps that disappear. There’s barely enough time for the first-teamers to practice. Which means the only way to evaluate a QB and let him learn kinetically is to put him with your first team. And voila! There’s your new starting quarterback.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 18
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up