ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Media Center>Oscars Adding Inclusion and Representation Requirements for Best Picture Eligibility
Tribal Warfare 08:56 PM 09-08-2020

Change starts now. We've announced new representation and inclusion standards for Best Picture eligibility, beginning with the 96th #Oscars. Read more here: https://t.co/qdxtlZIVKb pic.twitter.com/hR6c2jb5LM

— The Academy (@TheAcademy) September 9, 2020

[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:31 PM 09-08-2020
Entertainment awards are over anyway.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:22 PM 09-08-2020
So their art is no longer their emphasis?
[Reply]
Bump 01:10 AM 09-09-2020
lol
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:02 AM 09-09-2020
These winners in the last twenty years wouldn't be eligible today: Spotlight, Argo, Birdman, The Artist, The King's Speech, The Hurt Locker, Return of the King, Departed, No County For Old Men, A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator
[Reply]
KurtCobain 07:10 AM 09-09-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
These winners in the last twenty years wouldn't be eligible today: Spotlight, Argo, Birdman, The Artist, The King's Speech, The Hurt Locker, Return of the King, Departed, No County For Old Men, A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator
No, they wouldn't be eligible in 2024. and I'm not really sure any of us are going to be alive then, so who cares?
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:22 AM 09-09-2020
LOL

Yeah, like throwing a bunch of minorities in The Departed would have added to the experience. :-)
[Reply]
sully1983 08:36 AM 09-09-2020
Equality!!!!!!!!!111
[Reply]
eDave 08:51 AM 09-09-2020
Stifling. Coming for your music soon.
[Reply]
JD10367 09:50 AM 09-09-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
LOL

Yeah, like throwing a bunch of minorities in The Departed would have added to the experience. :-)
I grew up in Boston. We count the Irish. 🧐
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:48 AM 09-09-2020
Originally Posted by JD10367:
I grew up in Boston. We count the Irish. 🧐
:-)

Fair enough.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:09 PM 09-09-2020
Originally Posted by JD10367:
I grew up in Boston. We count the Irish. ��
It's "Baa-stin"
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:21 PM 09-09-2020
Um, did you even read the new criteria?

Films will need to meet TWO of the following FOUR criteria in order to be eligible for an Oscar. C and D will be easily achievable without affecting the cast, crew, director and story.

STANDARD C: INDUSTRY ACCESS AND OPPORTUNITIES
C1. Paid apprenticeship and internship opportunities
C2. Training opportunities and skills development (crew)

STANDARD D: AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT
Representation in marketing, publicity, and distribution

These new requirements match up with BAFTA's requirements so it's not that big of a deal in terms of story, casting, production, etc.

The Academy always goes apeshit over "Art House" films and films directed by and/or starring non-Whites (Roma, 12 Years A Slave, Green Book, etc. and so on) so I don't think this will change much, if anything for the audience and probably not much in terms of nominations, if at all.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:27 PM 09-09-2020
Originally Posted by sully1983:
Equality!!!!!!!!!111
It's not about "equality", it's about giving qualified people a better chance at being hired for feature films.

Anthony Mackie recently stated that everyone on the Black Panther crew was Black while all of his other MCU films had a White crew, which is absolutely ridiculous.

This probably won't change much, if anything, for Science Fiction, Fantasy or Marvel Films but the intention is to give non-Whites a slightly better chance at being hired for big budget films that have Oscar "Fever".
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:37 PM 09-09-2020
The wailing and gnashing of teeth on Twitter has been delicious this afternoon.

I look forward to more of it in this thread.

Here's a serious question, though, as person that knows nothing about anything.

What's in it for the studio to win an Oscar?

So long as your movie is super good, you can make amazing amounts of money for a long time.

Are Oscar wins really only for small arthouse movies trying to get an audience? What's in it for the studio?

Or do they just care about the reputation it gives them?

Edit: Same goes for actors and actresses. I remember a few years back somebody spread the lie that Natalie Portman didn't do her own dancing in "Black Swan," and Kevin Smith once talked about people trying to tank Affleck & Damon by suggesting he ghostwrote "Good Will Hunting" for them.

Why would they do this? Why does anybody but the actual writers give a shit about writing Oscars and acting Oscars? Is there a proven monetary uptick for movies that win the "lower level" Oscars?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up