ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Media Center>Harry Solomon is the greatest comedic character ever. Change my mind.
Rain Man 10:48 PM 09-01-2020
Third Rock from the Sun is available in my On Demand stuff now, and I forgot how good that show was. All of the actors really nail their parts, and a young Joseph Gordon-Levitt is top notch, but French Stewart as Harry Solomon constantly steals the show. Everything he says and does in that series is hilarious.

If you don't remember Third Rock, it was on in the late 90s and you owe it to yourself to watch.

There aren't a ton of clips of Harry on youtube because a lot of his stuff happens quick, but here's an example starting at about 40 seconds. What the heck is that?

Here's a bit longer scene. It takes a couple of minutes to set it up, but it's worth it.

These are far from the best Harry Solomon scenes, but they'll give you a taste. I'm not sure that any character has ever given me as many guffaws per minute.

Watch it. Just watch it. Get the entire series and tackle it from start to end.
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:54 PM 09-06-2020
Okay, here's an initial working list. Let me know who's missing. Reminder: it has to be a sitcom character. It also has to be a series regular, so no one-offs like Slow Donnie.

In some cases where there are multiple good characters on a show, I'll list more than one. I won't list one that, in my estimation, have no shot of being the favorite character on their own show. If you disagree, nominate a missing and character and I'm glad to add them.

The structure will include pre-heats so that we only have one character per show. So shows' characters will compete against each other in pre-heats to see which individual character goes into the tournament.

There are two instances where I combine characters into one entry because they were a unit that never appeared individually. These are Larry, Darryl, and Darryl of Newhart and Chuck and Bob of Soap. What do you think? Do I need to split them up, or should I keep them as a unit?

Spoiler!

[Reply]
patteeu 08:10 PM 09-06-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Okay, here's an initial working list. Let me know who's missing. Reminder: it has to be a sitcom character. It also has to be a series regular, so no one-offs like Slow Donnie.

In some cases where there are multiple good characters on a show, I'll list more than one. I won't list one that, in my estimation, have no shot of being the favorite character on their own show. If you disagree, nominate a missing and character and I'm glad to add them.

The structure will include pre-heats so that we only have one character per show. So shows' characters will compete against each other in pre-heats to see which individual character goes into the tournament.

There are two instances where I combine characters into one entry because they were a unit that never appeared individually. These are Larry, Darryl, and Darryl of Newhart and Chuck and Bob of Soap. What do you think? Do I need to split them up, or should I keep them as a unit?

Spoiler!
Your "keep them together" rationale sounds solid to me.
[Reply]
Dartgod 08:29 PM 09-06-2020
The Big Bang Theory - Arthur Jeffries, was not a regular.

M*A*S*H, should include Colonel Blake and Major Burns

I'd also like to nominate the cast of Golden Girls; Dorothy Zbornak, Rose Nylund, Blanche Devereaux and Sophia Petrillo. Rose and Sophia if you need to narrow it down.
[Reply]
Dartgod 08:45 PM 09-06-2020
Wait, where are Archie Bunker, Fred Sanford and Ralph Kramden (actually Ed Norton was funnier, IMO)?
[Reply]
cosmo20002 09:24 PM 09-06-2020
Curb obviously needs to include Larry David, and Richard Lewis is the best recurring character on there.

Seinfeld needs Frank Costanza.

Eddie Haskell
[Reply]
Gadzooks 10:13 PM 09-06-2020
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Curb obviously needs to include Larry David, and Richard Lewis is the best recurring character on there.

Seinfeld needs Frank Costanza.

Eddie Haskell
I don't recall Richard Lewis ever saying anything funny. Eddie Haskell's a good/iconic one though. My Mom's in her 70's and still refers to one of my friends as "Eddie Haskell".
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:31 PM 09-06-2020
Cool. Keep 'em coming and I'll add them to the list.

I went through a list of 100 best sitcoms to get a lot of these. I figure there are certainly some great shows that are more niched that are missing.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 11:26 PM 09-06-2020
Rain Man - Are we looking for an individual character in a sitcom or an overall actor/ lady actor?

French Stewart's been great, as a B character, in 2 popular sitcoms. 3rd Rock and now on Mom.

Then there's Phil Hartman on News Radio & The Simpsons, (cough* SNL).

Don Knotts - The Andy Griffith Show & Threes Company, (cough* The Ghost and Mr. Chicken).

It seems there could be some overlap if you go with character and I'd have a hard time choosing between Malcolm-Jamal Warner's performance on the The Cosby Show as Theo vs. Malcolm and Eddie. Both were so hilarious.
[Reply]
EPodolak 12:20 AM 09-07-2020
Louie DePalma (Taxi)
Butters (South Park)
Burt Campbell (Soap)
Hank Kimball (Green Acres)
[Reply]
eDave 07:33 AM 09-07-2020
Do animated characters count?
[Reply]
Delano 12:48 PM 09-07-2020
Home Improvement - Tim Taylor
[Reply]
cosmo20002 11:27 PM 09-07-2020
Green Acres - Arnold Ziffel
[Reply]
Sorry 11:27 PM 09-07-2020
The Fresh Prince

Will Smith
Carlton Banks
Geoffry Butler
Philip Banks
[Reply]
cooper barrett 11:45 PM 09-07-2020
Archie ****in Bunker

Still correct 45 years later

[Reply]
cooper barrett 11:51 PM 09-07-2020
no brainer

Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Oh oh!

Fish (Abe Vigoda) on Barney Miller
Reverend Jim (Christopher Lloyd) on Taxi
Take your pick from the cast of WKRP in Cincinnati (Herb Tarlek, Dr. Johnny Fever, Les Nessman, Mr. Carlson)

[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up