ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 189 of 361
« First < 89139179185186187188189 190191192193199239289 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Eleazar 02:36 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by ping2000:
Doug had to poop?
Didn't you see that movie where they had Paul Reiser poop in the suit?
[Reply]
jd1020 02:36 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
This is probably a dumb guy question, but why can't they just pause the count for 15 minutes or so and then go?

Asking CP because of course we have a bunch of rocket surgeons here :-)
Because the launch is timed so that the rocket can catch up to the Space Station.
[Reply]
Eleazar 02:38 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
They're aiming for the ISS, which is moving. If you don't launch at the right time, you miss the station. All ISS launches will have an instantaneous launch windows (which basically means they have to launch at the exact second or not at all).
Thank you. I'll work up a hot take about why they can't just give it some more gas now
[Reply]
mlyonsd 02:39 PM 05-27-2020
This is old news but everyone knows if they are in the path of the ISS during a night flyover they can see it with the naked eye.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:42 PM 05-27-2020
Thank you. I'll work up a hot take about why they can't just give it some more gas now
That gets a bit more complicated, but the simplified version is that braking takes as much fuel accelerating, and you're trying to match the speed of the ISS exactly. They do have the ability to adjust a tiny bit, but it takes a TON of extra fuel to make up any more time than a second or two.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:42 PM 05-27-2020
This is probably a dumb guy question, but why can't they just pause the count for 15 minutes or so and then go?

Asking CP because of course we have a bunch of rocket surgeons here :-)
You serious, Clark?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:09 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
It sucks, but I understand the super anal level of caution. If they have a Challenger incident on their first attempted manned launch, we'll be sending our guys up through Russia for the next ten years.
So, let's be honest. Watching a rocket blast off is about as entertaining as watching water drip from a faucet. We ALL watch hoping deep down inside that suckers gonna explode and of course nobody gets hurt.
[Reply]
eDave 03:13 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
So, let's be honest. Watching a rocket blast off is about as entertaining as watching water drip from a faucet. We ALL watch hoping deep down inside that suckers gonna explode and of course nobody gets hurt.
I don't hope for this at all.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 03:15 PM 05-27-2020
CLEARLY you have not been watching SpaceX

[Reply]
Donger 03:15 PM 05-27-2020
:-)
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:15 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I don't hope for this at all.
I've seen your picture. I can tell you lie .
[Reply]
Eleazar 03:22 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
You serious, Clark?
No.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:23 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
As I watched Cmdr. Hurley casually yawn just now, I was reminded that some human beings are just superior.
Originally Posted by DaFace:
They're both test pilots who have done two shuttle missions. These guys have taken (calculated) risks their entire lives, so this is practically just another day at the office.
The Right Stuff :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:29 PM 05-27-2020
Here's the link where you can figure out if its possible to see the space station pass over your area with the naked eye.

We visited some campers couple of months ago away from the city lights, Used this site to find it. Was really cool. Think I posted pics on here somewhere?

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/
[Reply]
Pants 03:43 PM 05-27-2020
Hey, guys, I recently saw the different amounts of money NASA was giving the three private players (may have been here actually) and SpaceX was receiving by far the lowest amount. I think Blue Origin may have been #1?

Do you know why that is the case?
[Reply]
Page 189 of 361
« First < 89139179185186187188189 190191192193199239289 > Last »
Up