ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 89 of 221
« First < 39798586878889 9091929399139189 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
loochy 06:45 AM 06-20-2015
Does anyone here fish out of a kayak? I'm interested now that we finally bought a vehicle large enough to carry one.

I think I'd like a "sit on top" style that will also allow me to stand up and cast. The local adventure store has some pretty awesome Hobie kayaks that jave this really slick pedal drive system so you can move while you fish. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
Saccopoo 06:51 AM 06-20-2015
Originally Posted by loochy:
Does anyone here fish out of a kayak? I'm interested now that we finally bought a vehicle large enough to carry one.

I think I'd like a "sit on top" style that will also allow me to stand up and cast. The local adventure store has some pretty awesome Hobie kayaks that jave this really slick pedal drive system so you can move while you fish. Any suggestions?
Buy the Hobie.

It's a shit ton more expensive, it's substantially heavier and you'll end up having to purchase a trailer versus putting it on a rack on top of the car.

However, when you are on the lake, with pole in hand, you will realize that you would have paid double for what is does versus a standard kayak.

In fact, I will absolutely guarantee that if are using it to primarily fish, and you purchase a standard kayak, you will sell it within two years and buy the Hobie eventually.

It makes that much of a difference when fishing.
[Reply]
NewChief 07:11 AM 06-20-2015
I'm not going to go so far as to guarantee that you'll sell a kayak that isn't a Hobie, but if you can afford it, the pedal drive system on the Hobie is awesome for fishing.
[Reply]
O.city 07:23 AM 06-20-2015
I'm about to purchase a hobie. I had a standard kayak, it's ok, but just want to uprgade.

Theyve been slaying the goggle eye on spring river in northern arkansas this year, I've only got to go 1 time (nee baby, etc) but I hope to get down there again soon.
[Reply]
Saccopoo 07:36 AM 06-20-2015
Originally Posted by NewChief:
I'm not going to go so far as to guarantee that you'll sell a kayak that isn't a Hobie, but if you can afford it, the pedal drive system on the Hobie is awesome for fishing.
Go out on a windy day in your regular kayak and fish next to a person in a drive system kayak. That usually guarantees it right then and there.

Native also makes a drive system kayak, which, unlike the Hobie, allows you to backup.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=49

http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-14/
[Reply]
Saccopoo 07:41 AM 06-20-2015
My brother just sold his Jackson big rig and bought the Hobie PA 14.5. The Jackson is an awesome unit. It really depends on how much you can spend and how much you are capable of getting your ass kicked out on the water by the elements.

[Reply]
beach tribe 08:31 AM 06-20-2015
If I had that my woman would never see me again.
[Reply]
Dunit35 08:43 AM 06-20-2015
Anybody ever fish Lake Texoma? That place has been demolished by flooding. The marina we use, broke off, and floated away.

Link of the red river, which flows into Texoma.
http://www.wfaa.com/story/weather/20...ding/28984199/
[Reply]
Rasputin 11:42 AM 06-21-2015
Starting my mini vacation I am I am

Going to the lake for four days I am I am

Going catch the big bad bass I am I am

Going catch the even bigger catfish I am I am

Me so happy!
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:55 PM 06-21-2015
Originally Posted by Saccopoo:
My brother just sold his Jackson big rig and bought the Hobie PA 14.5. The Jackson is an awesome unit. It really depends on how much you can spend and how much you are capable of getting your ass kicked out on the water by the elements.

That is an extremely cool and serious looking piece of equipment, gonna put something like that on my wish list.

Originally Posted by Dunit35:
Anybody ever fish Lake Texoma? That place has been demolished by flooding. The marina we use, broke off, and floated away.

Link of the red river, which flows into Texoma.
http://www.wfaa.com/story/weather/20...ding/28984199/
Seems I've been reading that Texas has been having a drought just about as bad as California... as bad as the flooding has been down there do you think this will ultimately be a good thing for the states aquifers?

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:
Starting my mini vacation I am I am

Going to the lake for four days I am I am

Going catch the big bad bass I am I am

Going catch the even bigger catfish I am I am

Me so happy!
Awesome bro, glad to hear it!... gonna be camping out there the whole time?

I had a great day of fishing this past friday at a very small local lake that I rarely go to because there are usually just too many people and I go out to get AWAY from people.

Better yet it put to bed the old yarn about fish wont bite on a cold snap, it had dropped maybe 15 degrees overnight and was overcast and drizzly... truth is, no one really knows when the fishies might bite.

Oh, and it was midday too, like noon to maybe 2:30, not a traditionally good time to fish.

But I chose a handful of spots that no one uses because they require a good bit of walking through brush etc and caught 6 in two hours... one large (4-5 poun) bass, one baby bass about a foot long, 3 awesome little fighting bluegill, they really put up an athletic, leaping struggle and they aren't really known for much leaping.

And my favorite was a small catfish about a foot long caught on black 2 inch grub with a little spinner I attached... probably only the 4th or 5th time I've caught a catfish on a fast moving sportfish lure.
[Reply]
Rasputin 04:57 PM 06-21-2015
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
That is an extremely cool and serious looking piece of equipment, gonna put something like that on my wish list.

Seems I've been reading that Texas has been having a drought just about as bad as California... as bad as the flooding has been down there do you think this will ultimately be a good thing for the states aquifers?

Awesome bro, glad to hear it!... gonna be camping out there the whole time?

I had a great day of fishing this past friday at a very small local lake that I rarely go to because there are usually just too many people and I go out to get AWAY from people.

Better yet it put to bed the old yarn about fish wont bite on a cold snap, it had dropped maybe 15 degrees overnight and was overcast and drizzly... truth is, no one really knows when the fishies might bite.

Oh, and it was midday too, like noon to maybe 2:30, not a traditionally good time to fish.

But I chose a handful of spots that no one uses because they require a good bit of walking through brush etc and caught 6 in two hours... one large (4-5 poun) bass, one baby bass about a foot long, 3 awesome little fighting bluegill, they really put up an athletic, leaping struggle and they aren't really known for much leaping.

And my favorite was a small catfish about a foot long caught on black 2 inch grub with a little spinner I attached... probably only the 4th or 5th time I've caught a catfish on a fast moving sportfish lure.
:-)

Hey what's up Scott Free? Man I've been so exhausted from work I just got to get away. I'm taking a couple extra days off during my two day rotation break during the week just so I can get Lake Wilson all too myself. I'm a real selfish bastard lol.

This has been hell week at work and I put in 47 hours of overtime some of that was from forced mandates that suck.

So I'm ready to get to the lake but they I find em not bite when it's 95+ out. Late evening and early mornings for bass but night time for catfish. They start biting at dusk.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 05:59 PM 06-21-2015
I will also add that kayak fishing is awesome. I have an Ascend sit in fishing kayak from Bass Pro. I went sit in because I wasn't certain I would ever feel comfortable enough or the need to stand and I like being closer to the water.

What you get with regards to size and pedals will really depend on the type of waters you primarily fish.

Mine only weighs 50 pounds so I can carry it into any creek, pond, or difficult to access area and water hop with ease. The only thing I still need is a fish finder.

For anyone that wants one but doesn't have a roof rack, the inflatable system works well. It holds up to 180 pounds and will come in handy should I ever need to but another ladder or other long item.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:16 PM 06-21-2015
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:
:-)

Hey what's up Scott Free? Man I've been so exhausted from work I just got to get away. I'm taking a couple extra days off during my two day rotation break during the week just so I can get Lake Wilson all too myself. I'm a real selfish bastard lol.

This has been hell week at work and I put in 47 hours of overtime some of that was from forced mandates that suck.

So I'm ready to get to the lake but they I find em not bite when it's 95+ out. Late evening and early mornings for bass but night time for catfish. They start biting at dusk.
Dude I've been doing a lot of reading about fish supposedly not biting when its hot out... the conventional wisdom is all wrong, look it up.

The hotter it is, the higher a fish' metabolism runs, which mean... that's right, they're hungry... the only drawback is finding them.

If you're like me without a boat, it will NOT stop you from killer catches... mst guys with fancy boats wanna go off and explore little shelfs and pockets in a given lake and that's all fine.

But in sooo many lakes, ponds etc... shore cover in the form of riprap, moss, cattails, overhanging trees, docks, will yield MORE fish than the guys with their bs boats and sonar out there in the deep water.

Let them HAVE the deep water, because bass are a mostly shallow water speices... that's where they feed and if they can find a covered spot to chill out that's where many are. I've caught bass where people said I shouldn't be able to using the advice I just gave... a boat isn't able to fish these spots effectively.

Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I will also add that kayak fishing is awesome. I have an Ascend sit in fishing kayak from Bass Pro. I went sit in because I wasn't certain I would ever feel comfortable enough or the need to stand and I like being closer to the water.

What you get with regards to size and pedals will really depend on the type of waters you primarily fish.

Mine only weighs 50 pounds so I can carry it into any creek, pond, or difficult to access area and water hop with ease. The only thing I still need is a fish finder.

For anyone that wants one but doesn't have a roof rack, the inflatable system works well. It holds up to 180 pounds and will come in handy should I ever need to but another ladder or other long item.
My only problem with that outfit, or any big boat outfit?

I honestly don't want to be told "here they are"... damn man, that's some bullshit if you ask me, I don't want that cheat even when I get (and I will have a boat soon) a boat. A fish finder? whaaaaaa, isn't that part of the game?

I don't want some ****ing computer telling me where they all are, Sacc's outfit without the bs electronics.... that's more my style.
[Reply]
NewChief 06:29 PM 06-21-2015
My little buddy got his first bass on the fly rod last night.

Funniest was that I bought a ton of big articulated "meat" flies and my 8 weight to really target some large bass over the weekend. Biggest fish we hooked, he hooked on a freaking tiny bream killer suspended below a popping bug. That bass probably went close to 5 lbs, but it got off just as I was reaching down to lip him. Unbelievable. :-)
Attached: bass.jpg (127.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Rasputin 06:44 PM 06-21-2015
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Dude I've been doing a lot of reading about fish supposedly not biting when its hot out... the conventional wisdom is all wrong, look it up.

The hotter it is, the higher a fish' metabolism runs, which mean... that's right, they're hungry... the only drawback is finding them.

If you're like me without a boat, it will NOT stop you from killer catches... mst guys with fancy boats wanna go off and explore little shelfs and pockets in a given lake and that's all fine.

But in sooo many lakes, ponds etc... shore cover in the form of riprap, moss, cattails, overhanging trees, docks, will yield MORE fish than the guys with their bs boats and sonar out there in the deep water.

Let them HAVE the deep water, because bass are a mostly shallow water speices... that's where they feed and if they can find a covered spot to chill out that's where many are. I've caught bass where people said I shouldn't be able to using the advice I just gave... a boat isn't able to fish these spots effectively.

My only problem with that outfit, or any big boat outfit?

I honestly don't want to be told "here they are"... damn man, that's some bullshit if you ask me, I don't want that cheat even when I get (and I will have a boat soon) a boat. A fish finder? whaaaaaa, isn't that part of the game?

I don't want some ****ing computer telling me where they all are, Sacc's outfit without the bs electronics.... that's more my style.

Right on I hear ya too. I'm actually going get an air raft F the big boats I know some moshy places I can try out but I like casting by rock ledges & close to the shore that's where I've been catching them any ways. But this is my first real get away & I've spent too much time trying get ready and lost a lot of time lol. I was just too tired after work to do anything.
[Reply]
Page 89 of 221
« First < 39798586878889 9091929399139189 > Last »
Up