ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 53 of 319
« First < 3434950515253 5455565763103153 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 10:48 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Fisher extension? He's 29 years old who's suffered an Achilles rupture. An extension isn't happening unless it's to be a backup utility player
You gonna freak out when he gets some 3 year deal for $40-some-million with $15 to $20 million signing bonus that will include about $9 million of this year's base converted.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:50 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
You aren't going to be able to determine that until well after the bulk of free agency and the draft. If we're deep into the Summer and Fisher has complications with the Achilles it could spell disaster for the 2021 season if all we've done is sign a bunch of veteran brokedick stopgaps.
Then he plays out his contract and is a FA after 2021. They don't really have any other choice.
[Reply]
mkp785 10:50 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I will say this-

of the late picks and UDFA crowd, Prince Wanogho is intriguing. He has all the physical traits, he just didn't play football until pretty late. IF a late round guy was going to pan out, that's him. Looking at his scouting reports is encouraging. The criticisms are all technique, which can be taught.
I've read those too. He sounds like a winner if we can get him to play to his ability. His comp ironically was Jason Peters coming out of college
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:51 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Then he plays out his contract and is a FA after 2021. They don't really have any other choice.
Complications with his achilles would mean he's missing the 2021 season. It's really not that uncommon for it to rupture a second time during treatment.
[Reply]
O.city 10:53 PM 02-11-2021
Why is everyone so quick to get rid of fisher? I get the Achilles but it’s pretty likely he comes back and has another couple years from it where he’s back to his normal self.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:55 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Why is everyone so quick to get rid of fisher? I get the Achilles but it’s pretty likely he comes back and has another couple years from it where he’s back to his normal self.
It's ChiefsPlanet favorite tradition. Once the offseason rolls around, people bitch about Fisher for no legitimate reason. You can also include Dirty Dan in there as well.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:55 PM 02-11-2021
Again, what you're describing is an ideal but ultimately unrealistic scenario, IMO.

Fisher doesn't have a history of injuries. He has no reason to accept a contract extension that essentially ushers him right out the door.

If they really want to be able to move on, their only real move is to let him play out the last year of his contract.

At the end of the day, I think they're going to have to decide whether they want to be more aggressive in the draft or in free agency. If they want to draft an OT, they're going to have to eat Fisher's cap hit and be less active in free agency.

If they want to save his money to be more active in free agency, it likely means they won't be drafting an OT high.
I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.

We've been paying Fisher $15m ($12 base salary) for the last two years, and in '21 as well. cap number is higher I think from some restructuring but actual salary is $12m. If you extend him out, say, 3 years, dropping the hit this year some, raising his yearly guaranteed money a bit and he's barely in the top 3rd in salary for starting LT's. That's not a bad deal for a team that feels like their window for contention is 2022-2024.

And THAT is if the kid we take early shows he's ready to start and be a plus player out of the gate. Which you know, is what, like 30%? Chances are, the kid's going to need some coaching up to be at a Fisher level.

So in 2022, you can keep Fisher; and the kid continues as your swing tackle. OR you can move Fisher to another team that needs a solid LT at a reasonable contract and start the kid at LT.

I mean we don't know who's window is about to open and who's is about to close; until Brady went to Tampa, they weren't in the conversation.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think that somebody would want Eric Fisher. Hell, we'd like to have him but I think it's wise to hedge all bets.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:56 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
It's ChiefsPlanet favorite tradition. Once the offseason rolls around, people bitch about Fisher for no legitimate reason. You can also include Dirty Dan in there as well.
There's a HUGE difference between Eric Fisher and Dan Sorensen.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:58 PM 02-11-2021
There's a HUGE difference between Eric Fisher and Dan Sorensen.
It’s Penbrook. It’s pointless to try and explain that to him.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:59 PM 02-11-2021
Complications with his achilles would mean he's missing the 2021 season. It's really not that uncommon for it to rupture a second time during treatment.
I don't think you get what I'm saying.

If they want his $15M to use in free agency, they have to extend him in March.

If they are worried that he might not play or get re-injured like you're saying, then the only real choice they have is to let him play out his contract.

They could easily draft his replacement but that cap hit is going to limit what they can do in free agency.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:01 PM 02-11-2021
I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.

We've been paying Fisher $15m ($12 base salary) for the last two years, and in '21 as well. cap number is higher I think from some restructuring but actual salary is $12m. If you extend him out, say, 3 years, dropping the hit this year some, raising his yearly guaranteed money a bit and he's barely in the top 3rd in salary for starting LT's. That's not a bad deal for a team that feels like their window for contention is 2022-2024.

And THAT is if the kid we take early shows he's ready to start and be a plus player out of the gate. Which you know, is what, like 30%? Chances are, the kid's going to need some coaching up to be at a Fisher level.

So in 2022, you can keep Fisher; and the kid continues as your swing tackle. OR you can move Fisher to another team that needs a solid LT at a reasonable contract and start the kid at LT.

I mean we don't know who's window is about to open and who's is about to close; until Brady went to Tampa, they weren't in the conversation.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think that somebody would want Eric Fisher. Hell, we'd like to have him but I think it's wise to hedge all bets.
No, I totally understand what you're saying. I just don't think it's very realistic.

But if they can make it work, I'm all for it.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:05 PM 02-11-2021

If they are worried that he might not play or get re-injured like you're saying, then the only real choice they have is to let him play out his contract.

They could easily draft his replacement but that cap hit is going to limit what they can do in free agency.
No they don't. There are plenty of other avenues to making cap space while leaving Fisher alone until we have more of a grasp on his situation going into 2021.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:07 PM 02-11-2021
No they don't. There are plenty of other avenues to making cap space while leaving Fisher alone until we have more of a grasp on his situation going into 2021.
Dude, it's $15M.

That's one top flight player or 2 to 3 lesser players.

Sure, they can restructure guys and make room.

But if they do nothing with Fisher, they won't be able to do nearly as much as they could if they restructure him.

You're kidding yourself man, you're building up to something that isn't going to happen.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:12 PM 02-11-2021

I understand fully.

I'm just saying that extending him doesn't mean you can't move him and his contract in 2022 if you find he's extraneous. The realistic outcome is that he won't be extraneous even IF you spend a #2 on an OT in this draft. He MIGHT be. It would be the BEST CASE SCENARIO. A good problem to have. Jeez, we've got 3 really good OT's. Dang. As we saw this year though, it's likely that your 3rd tackle is going to play, and maybe play a lot.

And it's not like extending him means you can use his $15m to sign FA's. You're not going to have $15m. You're going to have a lot less than that regardless. No matter what. So yeah, we should totally extend him. All I'm saying it doesn't mean we're STUCK WITH HIM for like 3 years unless we WANT TO BE. Someone else in the NFL would be thrilled to have a healthy Eric Fisher at a second tier salary to make their SB run.

And the #2 pick that I'd like to spend is further insurance in case Niang doesn't work out; and really, that's probably like what, maybe 30/70? Realistically? Maybe he can't play RT in the NFL. Maybe he's a Guard. What does it hurt to hedge the bet?

It's a draft pick. We went to the SB with our 2nd round pick this year barely playing. Won it last year without our 2nd round pick in the play-offs and he wasn't right until the play-offs this year. This isn't a franchise breaking thing if it doesn't work out. But if it DOES, it could be a reason why we go to a 3rd straight SB.

And I still sign old man Peters just in case.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:12 PM 02-11-2021
Would you pay Linsley $11 million a year?
[Reply]
Page 53 of 319
« First < 3434950515253 5455565763103153 > Last »
Up