ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 319
« First < 91516171819 202122232969119 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:23 PM 02-10-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think there is very little chance of that happening.

If it somehow does, it would indicate that they're going to seek help in FA. I don't see how they can afford to do that, but in Veach I trust.

I don't think there's any way in hell they don't address the offensive line problems in a meaningful way. I think it's suicidal to not protect the leagues best and most valuable player.
I think they would be wise to address it. I agree with you there.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:24 PM 02-10-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
They’re going to make moves either way.

Remmers and Wylie, even if they’re starting, won’t be our bookends. I can tell you that much. That’s the only time they were even that big of an issue.

Again, that’s why you can’t overreact to one game. It was a patchwork OL, and our starting OL in 2021 will look very different and even that one won’t be final once Fisher returns.

They’ll sign a couple guys and likely draft a couple too.

But they don’t HAVE to take 1 in the first 2 picks.
Of course its an overreaction. A performance of that disastrous magnitude by those two bumbling fuckwits deserves nothing but exile from the NFL. It's a fucking kindness to let them stick around and be at the absolute bottom of our 53. Starting?!? Fuck. That. Noise.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:24 PM 02-10-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
They’re going to make moves either way.

Remmers and Wylie, even if they’re starting, won’t be our bookends. I can tell you that much. That’s the only time they were even that big of an issue.

Again, that’s why you can’t overreact to one game. It was a patchwork OL, and our starting OL in 2021 will look very different and even that one won’t be final once Fisher returns.

They’ll sign a couple guys and likely draft a couple too.

But they don’t HAVE to take 1 in the first 2 picks.
I don't think I've overreacting to one game.

I think the fact that we have struggled to run the ball consistently since Morse left is apparent. I think it really shows up in the red zone and in short yardage situations. Yes, Reid often schemes around it; the point is, we shouldn't have to.

Mahomes can cover a lot of sins, that's true, but we've seen that strong front fours can give us problems. I don't want Mahomes taking that kind of abuse and I think it's irresponsible not to address it.

I also think that if we could actually run the ball effectively, making better use of LAST YEAR'S number one pick, we could force defenses to play honest; and if they do that, we might never punt.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:26 PM 02-10-2021

I think the fact that we have struggled to run the ball consistently since Morse left is apparent. I think it really shows up in the red zone and in short yardage situations. Yes, Reid often schemes around it; the point is, we shouldn't have to.

Mahomes can cover a lot of sins, that's true, but we've seen that strong front fours can give us problems. I don't want Mahomes taking that kind of abuse and I think it's irresponsible not to address it.

I also think that if we could actually run the ball effectively, making better use of LAST YEAR'S number one pick, we could force defenses to play honest; and if they do that, we might never punt.
I wouldn't count on them "fixing" the running game.

Even in the midst of Kareem's 2017 league-leading season, he had 3 or 4 games where he didn't even get 10 carries.

Andy Reid doesn't run the ball like a normal coach. It's part of who he is.

I think they'll work to improve the blocking, especially the pass blocking, but I don't expect special emphasis on the running game.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:27 PM 02-10-2021

We ran the ball fine in the playoffs. That was never an issue. For some reason, the running game always gets going when it matters most. I expect a huge year from Clyde though. He looked amazing and he will really grow into his role in the passing game next year too.

Needless to say, we obviously need to be better up front, and I imagine we will be.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:33 PM 02-10-2021
I'd like to hear what Staylor and Htismaqe actually advocate in regards to the OL.

It's easy to just shoot down every idea.

What's your plan?
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:37 PM 02-10-2021
I'd like to hear what Staylor and Htismaqe actually advocate in regards to the OL.

What's your plan?
Well, in large part, my responses are to shoot down ONE idea:

That we need to forget about every other position high in the draft and take an OL. I simply don't agree.

It's not that I don't want them to draft an OL high. It's that I want them to take the BEST player for the Chiefs, period. If that's an OT, great. If that's a WR, I want them to take a WR and there's a lot of people here that would have a coronary if they passed on a lesser OT to take a better WR prospect.

In the end, I don't really HAVE a plan. I trust Veach and Reid implicitly. I trust them to address the issues the best way THEY know how. The rest of it is just discussion board stuff.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:39 PM 02-10-2021
This is just my opinion but the people that say we need to draft 4-5 offensive linemen have no idea how Reid runs this team. They aren’t drafting that many and even if they draft a couple....there is no guarantee they are starting right away.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:40 PM 02-10-2021

What's your plan?
I wouldn’t say we’re shooting a plan down at all.

I’m not against drafting an OT in the 1st.

I’m not even against going OT in the 1st and IOL on day 2.

I just don’t think we absolutely have to either.

If the Chiefs get better at DE and WR, they will be a better team and there could still be improvement on the OL.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:42 PM 02-10-2021
When it comes to "my" plan, this was my first post in this thread, about 26 hours ago or so.

Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Task #1: Figure out the Eric Fisher contract situation. My guess is that they want to keep him and he'll be ready by late October. The problem is that he only has 1 year left on his contract and a $12M cap hit. Kind of hard to extend him when he's just starting an Achilles rehab but also hard to just cut him and take the cap hit if he plans on coming back. So they're going to have to get creative there.

Task #2: Do something with Frank Clark's contract. Dude needs to take a pay cut but the Chiefs have very little leverage unfortunately. I think what ends up happening is he gets extended, lowering his 2021 cap hit but kicking the can down the road again. The other option is to eat his salary for 2021 and cut him after the season, which I just don't see the Chiefs doing.

Task #3: Extend Matthieu. Get some cap space and give him some guarantees. He's the heart of the defense, make sure he's here for the rest of his career.

Task #4: Rework Chris Jones' deal. That should give some cap space as well and his contract seems to be structured to do exactly this.

Task #5: Figure out who you want to replace Schwartz and if he's not on the team, go get him. Don't care if it's a FA, trade, the draft, or whatever. Just make sure you've got a guy you believe in at that spot going into the season.

Task #6. Figure out who you want to replace Reiter. See #5 above.

Task #7: Figure out who you want to replace Sammy Watkins. See #5 again.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

[Reply]
O.city 02:46 PM 02-10-2021
Mahomes has been injured a lot in the past two years. Can’t let that continue. Some of that is on him. The running around is all great and dandy, but he needs to be on the field.

Win from the pocket and do that stuff secondarily.

But you’ve gotta invest some resources and get better on the OL. Be it draft or free agency or whatever. Throwing latw round picks at it isn’t gonna cut it.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:47 PM 02-10-2021
I know this probably won't happen, but I've hoped for a while that not only would they address the OL more, but also change the type of OL they go after. Signing Osemele gave me some hope that they were going to start going after bigger/stronger OL, particularly on the interior. I'm not sure that's necessarily the case though and I don't think you can read too much into one FA signing. It's pretty clear that when you're relying on late round picks you probably have to pick someone who might be good at one thing over other areas and they've focused more on the athletic types who are generally better at pass blocking and can get out in space. But I really wish they could at some point start to find some bigger OL to get more push in short yardage. I know that's not really the type of OL Reid likes and it's probably just wishful thinking, but I can at least dream of the type of OL that could not only protect Mahomes but also make the short yardage run game more deadly.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:51 PM 02-10-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
When it comes to "my" plan, this was my first post in this thread, about 26 hours ago or so.
So basically, find some money and do something.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:54 PM 02-10-2021
So basically, find some money and do something.
Yeah.

Until the draft board solidifies more, it's not really any more than a shot in the dark. And the same really could be said about FA - it doesn't even start for another month.

Positional rankings are all over the place, especially after the top 15.

A lot of what *I* would do if I were GM relies on how the board lays out and who is likely to be available. Again, I stick to my board. I don't target positions without knowing who is there.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:58 PM 02-10-2021
There are too many question marks on the OL to have any idea where to start with a plan.

I’d rather just wait and see it all unfold and continue to have OT and IOL high on my list of needs.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 319
« First < 91516171819 202122232969119 > Last »
Up