ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 13
« First < 56789 10111213 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Wookie trying to help Jussie?
HonestChieffan 11:23 AM 03-14-2019

Emails reveal States Attorney Kim Foxx asked Superintendent Eddie Johnson to give FBI Smollett case https://t.co/QFGxX2LBqJ pic.twitter.com/2ZaW0BsfQT

— NBC Chicago (@nbcchicago) March 13, 2019





New documents showing text messages and email chains revealed Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx’s asked Supt. Eddie Johnson to turn the Jussie Smollett investigation over to the FBI before she recused herself from the case.

The documents, obtained Wednesday by NBC 5 via a Freedom of Information Act request, show correspondence between Foxx, an unknown person and Tina Tchen, a one-time assistant to former President Barack Obama and Chief of Staff to Michelle Obama.

In an email, Tchen said she knows the Smollett family and said they “have concerns about the investigation” into his alleged hate crime attack, which police now say was hoax staged to boost his career.

In the messages, Foxx tells an unknown person who contacted her through Tchen, that she “spoke to the superintendent” and was “trying to figure out logistics.”
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:01 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
OK...personally I kind of care if people think I'm a piece of shit or not...but that's just me.
Would you care if I thought you were a piece of shit if you called W chimpy?

And so we're clear, I'm not rejecting other people's right to call people 'pieces of shit' for derogatory comments. I'm rejecting the notion that this assessment is alone sufficient to establish a prima facie case for racism.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 09:01 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
OK...personally I kind of care if people think I'm a piece of shit or not...but that's just me.
Let me know when you're ready for my verdict.
[Reply]
patteeu 09:05 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
Try this. The next time you're in a group of people why don't you spout "Hey, anyone ever notice how Michelle Obama looks just like a Wookie" and see how the people respond. That should be a good "racist" measuring stick for you.
That’s a terrible way to measure things like this. Have you been living under a rock for the last few years? People get triggered over just about anything these days.
[Reply]
fan4ever 09:09 AM 03-15-2019
There are time when you can't, and shouldn't, try and change what people think of you. You should always stay true to what you believe...but there are also times for clarification. I'm not going to be too upset if anyone thinks ill of me, especially those on the other side of this argument, but if I'm putting off the wrong vibe to people that's mine to correct.

I've never been knee jerk about racism; have often criticized those who see race in EVERYTHING...but IMO this particular issue is so obvious that I'm amazed it's taken 9 pages and 123 posts.
[Reply]
fan4ever 09:11 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
That’s a terrible way to measure things like this. Have you been living under a rock for the last few years? People get triggered over just about anything these days.
Hmmm...you think people taking offense to that remark would be considered "triggered"? I think it's pretty brash.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:20 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
There are time when you can't, and shouldn't, try and change what people think of you. You should always stay true to what you believe...but there are also times for clarification. I'm not going to be too upset if anyone thinks ill of me, especially those on the other side of this argument, but if I'm putting off the wrong vibe to people that's mine to correct.

I've never been knee jerk about racism; have often criticized those who see race in EVERYTHING...but IMO this particular issue is so obvious that I'm amazed it's taken 9 pages and 123 posts.
We get that you think this 'clearly is' racist, but when asked why you say it 'clearly is.' And when pressed further, you reinforce with 'ask others, and they'll agree it clearly is.'

That's not justification, it's begging the question.

Remember, this derogatory comment isn't considered in a vacuum. It's considered in a situation where horrible derogatory things of a strikingly similar nature are tossed around proudly and defiantly, and the argument is that this specific derogatory comment is categorically different from all others. This needs explanation beyond 'it clearly is.'
[Reply]
fan4ever 09:29 AM 03-15-2019
So you're argument is "when in Rome"? Sorry, not gonna go there. One of the things I pride myself on here CP is being civil to other people and for the most part I've been pretty consistent. In DC especially I see a ton of ugly behavior. Just because it's the norm to behave this way I'm not going to behave that way or excuse others when I think they've crossed the line.

Most of the posts in opposition to what I've written have been handled well. That was nice to see, yourself included.

I'm done presenting my point; people either agree or they don't...that's fine. Like most of the exchanges I see here in DC, no minds have been changed.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:39 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
So you're argument is "when in Rome"? Sorry, not gonna go there. One of the things I pride myself on here CP is being civil to other people and for the most part I've been pretty consistent. In DC especially I see a ton of ugly behavior. Just because it's the norm to behave this way I'm not going to behave that way or excuse others when I think they've crossed the line.

Most of the posts in opposition to what I've written have been handled well. That was nice to see, yourself included.

I'm done presenting my point; people either agree or they don't...that's fine. Like most of the exchanges I see here in DC, no minds have been changed.
Again, though I'm pretty sure I've made this clear throughout.

'Don't be mean' and don't be racist' are different admonitions.

Some people reserve with great relish and defiance their right to be mean, while asserting that no one has the right to be racist.

Then you come along and label this particular mean remark racist.

If you missed the distinction and labelled it racist when you meant to label it mean, that's fine.

But if you are aware of the distinction and are instead purposefully differentiating this particular mean remark as racist to suggest that it is in a different moral space than other mean remarks, that's something different altogether.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 09:43 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
:-)

goonie goo goo
[Reply]
fan4ever 09:48 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Again, though I'm pretty sure I've made this clear throughout.

'Don't be mean' and don't be racist' are different admonitions.

Some people reserve with great relish and defiance their right to be mean, while asserting that no one has the right to be racist.

Then you come along and label this particular mean remark racist.

If you missed the distinction and labelled it racist when you meant to label it mean, that's fine.

But if you are aware of the distinction and are instead purposefully differentiating this particular mean remark as racist to suggest that it is in a different moral space than other mean remarks, that's something different altogether.
I disagree with your entire premise of what the intent was; therein lies the difference.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:50 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
I disagree with your entire premise of what the intent was; therein lies the difference.
Explain. Up until now, you have said nothing of intent. Your position is that the remark is in itself clearly racist.

I think I've been more than fair, and fairly clear in my analysis of the situation. And thus far you haven't replied to anything I've said. Opting instead to try to zig and zag onto other subjects or lines of thought to avoid explaining your own mental metrics.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 09:56 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
Try this. The next time you're in a group of people why don't you spout "Hey, anyone ever notice how Michelle Obama looks just like a Wookie" and see how the people respond. That should be a good "racist" measuring stick for you.
There's no need for me to do any such thing, as it would not prove what you foolishly claim it would prove. And your conversation with Baby Lee has verified that, in fact, you have no idea what you're talking about with regards to racism.
[Reply]
patteeu 09:56 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
Hmmm...you think people taking offense to that remark would be considered "triggered"? I think it's pretty brash.
I think people get triggered by “racism” that isn’t racism all the time. You yourself suggest this in your previous post (124).

To say that that’s not the case here because in your judgment this is real racism is to prejudge the result of your proposed test.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:32 AM 03-15-2019
Michelle Obama is a racist tarantula..

See, that doesn't work. While she's hairy like a tarantula, she only has two Wookie legs and she's much too large to be a tarantula. But she is racist....
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 11:51 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Remember, this derogatory comment isn't considered in a vacuum. It's considered in a situation where horrible derogatory things of a strikingly similar nature are tossed around proudly and defiantly, and the argument is that this specific derogatory comment is categorically different from all others. This needs explanation beyond 'it clearly is.'
You're right, this isn't a vacuum and in this non vacuum we call society it is considered racist to compare someone of color as ape like.

You might not like that it is this way......but it is this way. Society isn't fair. It doesn't treat all races equally. It never has and never will. Today, you can get away calling a white person an ape, but you can't get away with calling a black person an ape without others thinking you are racist. If you don't believe, do what the other poster suggested and run an experiment. Go out and call Michelle Obama a wookie in public place and see how many people start calling you a racist bigot.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 13
« First < 56789 10111213 >
Up