ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1745 of 3903
« First < 745124516451695173517411742174317441745 174617471748174917551795184522452745 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dlphg9 12:03 AM 05-01-2020
The approach to shutting everything down should definitely have been handled different. Most places aren't New York, which accounts for 23780 of the 63861 (37%) deaths. They most certainly should have SIP orders for NY.

Missouri, OTOH, was one of the last states to do the SIP orders, so you would expect to have a high amount of cases and deaths. Thankfully, that is not at all what is happening. Missouri as of yesterday had reported a total of 343 deaths or 0.5% of the total of all deaths in the US and there are dozens of states just like this. Shutting down all these states is completely pointless. We are not all crammed together like NYC. I think once things open back up we may see a slight increase in cases/deaths, but it won't be significant.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 12:18 AM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
The approach to shutting everything down should definitely have been handled different. Most places aren't New York, which accounts for 23780 of the 63861 (37%) deaths. They most certainly should have SIP orders for NY.

Missouri, OTOH, was one of the last states to do the SIP orders, so you would expect to have a high amount of cases and deaths. Thankfully, that is not at all what is happening. Missouri as of yesterday had reported a total of 343 deaths or 0.5% of the total of all deaths in the US and there are dozens of states just like this. Shutting down all these states is completely pointless. We are not all crammed together like NYC. I think once things open back up we may see a slight increase in cases/deaths, but it won't be significant.
Agreed. Unfortunately the media will blow any increases out of proportion while continuing to downplay any good news, of which there has been a lot lately.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:32 AM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by jerryaldini:
Agreed. Unfortunately the media will blow any increases out of proportion while continuing to downplay any good news, of which there has been a lot lately.
I was on the close it down train, but when you look at the numbers and see that like 65% of all the deaths in the US are in 10 states, then it all seems a bit over blown.
[Reply]
eDave 12:49 AM 05-01-2020
When you absolutely have to wear a mask from r/trashy

[Reply]
BWillie 02:17 AM 05-01-2020
I was on the close it down train, but when you look at the numbers and see that like 65% of all the deaths in the US are in 10 states, then it all seems a bit over blown.
It's kind of where all the people are. In those states.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 04:21 AM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I think that a sizable portion of people here are awake to the situation and are taking it seriously. There is an extremely vocal minority that has been downplaying since Day 1, and a smaller and completely psychotic minority on here that is claiming it is a complete hoax.
Or how about people being realistic and recognizing that the “maintain stringent social distancing until there is a vaccine” approach is laughably stupid/naive/unrealistic because there will likely not be an effective/scalable vaccine for a very long time or ever.

If there is no effective/scalable vaccine for ten years are you willing to support a continued social distancing mitigation strategy of no mass crowd events, full capacity restaurants or “non essential” retail establishments?

Explain why you think an effective vaccine that is scalable to provide to millions of people is a more realistic short term strategy than herd immunity.
[Reply]
Monticore 05:33 AM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Or how about people being realistic and recognizing that the “maintain stringent social distancing until there is a vaccine” approach is laughably stupid/naive/unrealistic because there will likely not be an effective/scalable vaccine for a very long time or ever.

If there is no effective/scalable vaccine for ten years are you willing to support a continued social distancing mitigation strategy of no mass crowd events, full capacity restaurants or “non essential” retail establishments?

Explain why you think an effective vaccine that is scalable to provide to millions of people is a more realistic short term strategy than herd immunity.
Herd immunity isn’t a realistic option for all virus , do we know enough about this virus to make that call maybe yes maybe no, is 3 months in enough time to make that determination could be but when lives are at risk it is a hard call to make.

I also understand staying shut in for 2 years is not an option so we have to find a strategy that is best for both lives and jobs , ripping the band aid off doesn’t sound like that is the plan that would be most effective for that at this point
[Reply]
Loneiguana 05:40 AM 05-01-2020
Poll after poll is finding Americans overwhelming support the stay at home orders and fear lifting too early.

One from the Kaiser Family Foundation asked adults nationwide whether shelter-in-place orders were “worth it” or “causing more harm than good.” An overwhelming 80 percent said they were worth it.

In the Economist poll, the share of Republican voters who believed social distancing could be ended and businesses reopened now or within the next two weeks was much bigger than the Democratic figure, but both numbers were modest: 26 percent of Republicans and just 6 percent of Democrats.

https://thehill.com/homenews/the-mem...&ICID=ref_fark
[Reply]
Monticore 06:37 AM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
Poll after poll is finding Americans overwhelming support the stay at home orders and fear lifting too early.

One from the Kaiser Family Foundation asked adults nationwide whether shelter-in-place orders were “worth it” or “causing more harm than good.” An overwhelming 80 percent said they were worth it.

In the Economist poll, the share of Republican voters who believed social distancing could be ended and businesses reopened now or within the next two weeks was much bigger than the Democratic figure, but both numbers were modest: 26 percent of Republicans and just 6 percent of Democrats.

https://thehill.com/homenews/the-mem...&ICID=ref_fark
I is really hard to people that understand how the mitigation efforts has/are working to change course and try a plan that has unknown results.

I would be like the chiefs completely changing their strategy after winning the superbowl, could it still be effective sure but if it ain't broke .

I also understand it is not sustainable though.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:48 AM 05-01-2020
We're getting protesters protesting a planned anti-lockdown protest today. I think both sides are just looking for a reason to enjoy a nice spring day outside.
[Reply]
Monticore 06:58 AM 05-01-2020
Canada's opinion on Remdesivir at this time, if anybody cares lol.

https://nationalpost.com/health/more...da-say-experts
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:11 AM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I is really hard to people that understand how the mitigation efforts has/are working to change course and try a plan that has unknown results.

I would be like the chiefs completely changing their strategy after winning the superbowl, could it still be effective sure but if it ain't broke .

I also understand it is not sustainable though.
You are completely contradicting yourself lol. It's ok though. You're Canadian and cant help it.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:20 AM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:

Because every virus has a basic reproduction number and if you can lower than number to less than one through mitigation efforts, it will die out. If you do that, you don't need to reach herd immunity nor do you need a vaccine.

You put out the main fire through the initial measures, develop a system of testing and contact tracing, and slowly reopen with the flexibility to quickly address outbreaks thereafter while your newer distancing measures keep the reproduction number low enough to ensure the virus decreases in prevalence.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:22 AM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Canada's opinion on Remdesivir at this time, if anybody cares lol.

https://nationalpost.com/health/more...da-say-experts
That's definitely fair given that the NIAID data hasn't been released yet and there isn't a mortality benefit.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:23 AM 05-01-2020
You are completely contradicting yourself lol. It's ok though. You're Canadian and cant help it.
I try not to pick a side lol , and sometimes there isn't really a side to pick.
[Reply]
Page 1745 of 3903
« First < 745124516451695173517411742174317441745 174617471748174917551795184522452745 > Last »
Up