ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2992 of 3903
« First < 1992249228922942298229882989299029912992 29932994299529963002304230923492 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 10:53 AM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
If they committed suicide because of one semester of not being able to physically go to school they probably weren't going to do very well in real life.

Many humans around the globe face much much tougher challenges than having to zoom for a year of school. Yet somehow they cope.

The fear of course is the college kids coming back home with it and killing their parents or grandparents.
JFC what a shithead post.....I mean fucking WOW!
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 10:58 AM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
SF Bay Area has almost 9 million people. I just read there are about 350 people hospitalized in Bay Area hospitals for covid.........
But how many "cases"?
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:02 AM 09-27-2020
Now do the suicide rate of teenagers and college kids - which is what I was responding to. Provide a link please.

Or even provide a link that suicide rates are up significantly since Feb. I've been googling a ton and all I find is speculation and stuff about suicidal ideation and how to get help.

This suicide stuff has been a big talking point of the people who claim we can't look at excess deaths as any kind of metric (because of supposed massive amounts of quarantine suicide). I'm not buying it.
You are a giant POS... Thanks for proving it... Many kids have had a rough patch in their teens and early 20's and make it through just fine and realize they were young and were lucky they didn't make a dumb decision... To say that Covid-19 isn't putting more kids in a position to make a poor decision, or they aren't tough enough is sad for you...

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6932a1.htm

Originally Posted by :
Elevated levels of adverse mental health conditions, substance use, and suicidal ideation were reported by adults in the United States in June 2020. The prevalence of symptoms of anxiety disorder was approximately three times those reported in the second quarter of 2019 (25.5% versus 8.1%), and prevalence of depressive disorder was approximately four times that reported in the second quarter of 2019 (24.3% versus 6.5%) (2). However, given the methodological differences and potential unknown biases in survey designs, this analysis might not be directly comparable with data reported on anxiety and depression disorders in 2019 (2). Approximately one quarter of respondents reported symptoms of a TSRD related to the pandemic, and approximately one in 10 reported that they started or increased substance use because of COVID-19. Suicidal ideation was also elevated; approximately twice as many respondents reported serious consideration of suicide in the previous 30 days than did adults in the United States in 2018, referring to the previous 12 months (10.7% versus 4.3%) (6).
GFY
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:11 AM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
To be honest though, it's not really unexpected that the suicide rate would go up. Any forced isolation would do so. But that shouldn't really be used as evidence that lockdowns and mitigation are a bad thing. Not that you are doing so, but that's generally the insinuation with that kind of statement. If there were a nuclear detonation in the US, it would also require forced isolation. Which would also increase depression and suicide rates. We are very social creatures. That doesn't mean the danger of radiation isn't legitimate. Just that isolation increases the chances depression/suicide/etc. regardless of cause.
It's not about proving that lockdowns are BAD thing. It's about taking all factors into account before forcing otherwise healthy people to wall themselves off from society.

Just like everything else in this God-forsaken country, any attempt at balance is met with vitriol and venom.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:29 AM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
To be honest though, it's not really unexpected that the suicide rate would go up. Any forced isolation would do so. But that shouldn't really be used as evidence that lockdowns and mitigation are a bad thing. Not that you are doing so, but that's generally the insinuation with that kind of statement. If there were a nuclear detonation in the US, it would also require forced isolation. Which would also increase depression and suicide rates. We are very social creatures. That doesn't mean the danger of radiation isn't legitimate. Just that isolation increases the chances depression/suicide/etc. regardless of cause.
Read your post above slowly... Do you still think it makes sense? Forced isolation for a virus that has little risk to young people is not the same as a nuclear detonation that would be nearly 100% fatal if exposed... My god... seriously?
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:32 AM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
You are a giant POS... Thanks for proving it... Many kids have had a rough patch in their teens and early 20's and make it through just fine and realize they were young and were lucky they didn't make a dumb decision... To say that Covid-19 isn't putting more kids in a position to make a poor decision, or they aren't tough enough is sad for you...

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6932a1.htm

GFY
Wait, so now you trust the CDC?

I agree obviously this pandemic has been hard on everyone - especially people who have gotten really sick, lost loved ones, or died. But there is no data yet that suicides are actually up - which is what I was responding to. What I do know is quarantine suicides is a big talking point among the covid denier crowd right now - largely to discredit looking at excess deaths to validate covid deaths.

You know what else really messes with kids' heads? Accidentally giving their grandma covid and killing her. Also school shootings - they talk about it all the time. But I've been told they should just suck it up and realize their odds of actually dying in one are really low. I never get a lot of empathy about depressed or fearful unstable high school kids coming from the same crowd on that one. So forgive me if I don't take this massive surge in empathy for depressed high school kids from people like you and bigcatdaddy at face value.
[Reply]
Donger 11:36 AM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Elevated levels of adverse mental health conditions, substance use, and suicidal ideation were reported by adults in the United States in June 2020. The prevalence of symptoms of anxiety disorder was approximately three times those reported in the second quarter of 2019 (25.5% versus 8.1%), and prevalence of depressive disorder was approximately four times that reported in the second quarter of 2019 (24.3% versus 6.5%) (2). However, given the methodological differences and potential unknown biases in survey designs, this analysis might not be directly comparable with data reported on anxiety and depression disorders in 2019 (2). Approximately one quarter of respondents reported symptoms of a TSRD related to the pandemic, and approximately one in 10 reported that they started or increased substance use because of COVID-19. Suicidal ideation was also elevated; approximately twice as many respondents reported serious consideration of suicide in the previous 30 days than did adults in the United States in 2018, referring to the previous 12 months (10.7% versus 4.3%) (6).
Why did you post that in response to his post?
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 11:37 AM 09-27-2020
Question boy at it again :-)
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:38 AM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It's not about proving that lockdowns are BAD thing. It's about taking all factors into account before forcing otherwise healthy people to wall themselves off from society.

Just like everything else in this God-forsaken country, any attempt at balance is met with vitriol and venom.
Aren't most schools at least trying to open right now - and only get shut down when a big outbreak happens? Aren't even bars open to some degree in MO again? That seems like an attempt at balance to me.

What exactly is unbalanced - not having full football stadiums or having to wear a mask at Walgreens? What isn't open?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:40 AM 09-27-2020
https://www.dupageco.org/Coroner/Cor...Qh57IyxRdW6fHM
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:46 AM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Why did you post that in response to his post?
Because it's the only thing you can find on the internet about covid suicides. I searched like crazy. The head of the CDC saying there are warning signs that people aren't doing well.

Yeah no shit. I'm not doing well at all. But I realize there's a pandemic going on, and life isn't going back to normal until it's over - no matter what I can or can't do. If I can make a temporary sacrifice to save some lives, I'm willing to do it.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:53 AM 09-27-2020
That privilege is thiccc
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:00 PM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
https://www.dupageco.org/Coroner/Cor...Qh57IyxRdW6fHM
10 more suicides in one county could be something, or it could be variance. You'd need to see a bigger aggregate.

Originally Posted by :
Dr Jorgensen stated “Evaluation of each case reveals a common thread. Almost every case of suicide revealed that the deceased person had a history of mental health issues, depression, personal, financial or marital problems, previous drug dependence or rehabilitation or were divorced, never married or living alone.
Isn't this pretty much descriptive of people who kill themselves at all times, not just covid?

If it turns out covid social distancing really leads to a 20% increase in suicide, that is definitely something to think about. But at the same time - what is the argument here? That we should just let the hospitals overflow to the point people are being told to just die at home en masse - which happened in Italy, came an eyelash from happening in NYC, and has already sort-of happened in places like New Orleans? That's a pretty catastrophic outcome - and why pretty much every state has had to do something when the hospitals start to fill up.

It seems like most places are trying to find a balance right now, to let people get outside, to eat out, to do things that are relatively (but not completely), safe. So I'd like to hear specifically what is so onerous right now?
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:01 PM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
That privilege is thiccc
Says the guy who makes a flippant minimalizing joke about "diabeetus" - like trying to help people at risk of dying from covid is a big joke. Check your own healthy person privilege.

A friend of mine has juvenile diabetes and now advanced kidney disease. She has to go to dialysis 4x a week. She can't just stay inside. If she gets it she's dead, and she knows it. You're basically implying her life isn't worth trying to save if it involves any amount of sacrifice by others.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:04 PM 09-27-2020
Says the guy who makes a flippant joke about "diabeetus" - like trying to keep people at risk of dying from covid safe is a big joke.
What you’re suggesting about depression is the same as those asking people who’ve already lived a full life to make the ultimate sacrifice for the rest of us.

:Spider-Man: pointing at himself meme:
[Reply]
Page 2992 of 3903
« First < 1992249228922942298229882989299029912992 29932994299529963002304230923492 > Last »
Up