ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1975 of 3903
« First < 975147518751925196519711972197319741975 197619771978197919852025207524752975 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:32 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
so... i guess no one wants to discuss the MLB tests now?

It’s interesting in the context of if they want that information to resume play but that’s about it.
[Reply]
notorious 09:36 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
Not sure if this chart has been posted, but this is a good chart for breaking down the deaths by age range.
https://data.cdc.gov/widgets/9bhg-hcku

Some interesting statistics in there if you do the math. Obviously it isn’t up to the minute but we can probably assume the percentages will stay about the same. Seems like it’s definitely not as fatal in the younger crowds as the headlines try to make it seem.

It lists 44,016 total Coronavirus deaths. I did the percentage breakdown.

0-24 years old: .13% (This age group is twice as likely to die from influenza according to the chart)
25-34 years old: .72%
35-44 years old: 1.81%
45-54 years old: 5.14%
55-64 years old: 12.31%
65-74 years old: 21.26%
75-84 years old: 27.32%
85+ years old: 31.30%
JFC
[Reply]
notorious 09:40 AM 05-11-2020
i cant believe all the guys waiting on the MLB test arent talking about it now that it has came out.

oh wait, yes i can... it doesnt support their 40% infected numbers.

5600+ from across the nation, 28 teams IIRC and the antibody rate is .7%.

thats not very encouraging
I guess this means the baseball players socially distanced really well and haven’t been exposed.

They probably would have been better off building immunity since they are healthy.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 09:45 AM 05-11-2020
so... i guess no one wants to discuss the MLB tests now?
If they show anything they show that the novel Coronavirus is not spreading to people who are employed, working from home, mostly affluent nearly as much as it is spreading to poor people in big cities. The MLB employees are not a great representation of the public, but it does also show we are insanely far from herd immunity across the US as a whole. Also not great for death rates, although again I’d caution against using the antibody data of this subset of the population against the US population.
[Reply]
tk13 09:46 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
It’s interesting in the context of if they want that information to resume play but that’s about it.
Yeah I don't know about that. It's not a great sign if they want to resume play, hardly anyone has had it. If they come back they are going to have to be super vigilant.

I don't know how well it applies to the rest of the population though. It does go to show just how many people there are in the country. It is probably true we have way more cases than we know because of lack of testing. But even if that's true... it's still likely a small percentage of the population that's had this thing. You might have to infect another 200 million more people to get to herd immunity. And that would likely mean millions dead.
[Reply]
notorious 09:47 AM 05-11-2020
Comparing insanely wealthy athletes to the average Joe probably isn’t anywhere near the real numbers.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:48 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Yeah I don't know about that. It's not a great sign if they want to resume play, hardly anyone has had it. If they come back they are going to have to be super vigilant.
That’s what I was saying. It’s interesting if this information is needed to resume play or not.
[Reply]
notorious 09:49 AM 05-11-2020

I don't know how well it applies to the rest of the population though. It does go to show just how many people there are in the country. It is probably true we have way more cases than we know because of lack of testing. But even if that's true... it's still likely a small percentage of the population that's had this thing. You might have to infect another 200 million more people to get to herd immunity. And that would likely mean millions dead.
We are fucked, then.

Wait on a vaccine indefinitely or rip the bandaid off. There are your choices.
[Reply]
tk13 09:49 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Comparing insanely wealthy athletes to the average Joe probably isn’t anywhere near the real numbers.
For deaths and serious symptoms, probably. It's not like they're immune to this thing any more than we are though.

It was literally an NBA player getting this that shut down the whole country.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:51 AM 05-11-2020
It’s also worth noting that though a small number, the results continue to show infected people are very often without symptoms, as 70% of the antibody positives had none.
[Reply]
notorious 09:51 AM 05-11-2020
For deaths and serious symptoms, probably. It's not like they're immune to this thing any more than we are though.

It was literally an NBA player getting this that shut down the whole country.
They can isolate in massive castles. Best nutrition money can buy, and they don’t have to lift a finger to get what they need. I would say that the average Joe has a lot more exposure to this than they do.
[Reply]
tk13 09:56 AM 05-11-2020
We are ****ed, then.

We were always screwed. The people who think we aren't are unfortunately are just trying to cope. I get it, it's a hard thing to accept. You wait, and the economy tanks. You rip the band aid off and let this thing kill millions of people, the economy is devastated like we've never seen it before.

The only hope was to get out ahead of it in January and Februrary, and we didn't. I said that in March. And here we are. We are going to have to pay the price.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:58 AM 05-11-2020
We are ****ed, then.

Seems we could use this data to come up with a mitigation plan based off risk.

Originally Posted by :
0-24 years old: .13% (This age group is twice as likely to die from influenza according to the chart)
25-34 years old: .72%
35-44 years old: 1.81%
45-54 years old: 5.14%
55-64 years old: 12.31%
65-74 years old: 21.26%
75-84 years old: 27.32%
85+ years old: 31.30%

[Reply]
O.city 09:59 AM 05-11-2020
We were always screwed. The people who think we aren't are unfortunately are just trying to cope. I get it, it's a hard thing to accept. You wait, and the economy tanks. You rip the band aid off and let this thing kill millions of people, the economy is devastated like we've never seen it before.

The only hope was to get out ahead of it in January and Februrary, and we didn't. I said that in March. And here we are. We are going to have to pay the price.
The economy is going to be devastated either way. I'm not sure there's a way around that.
[Reply]
notorious 09:59 AM 05-11-2020

(Somberly nods in agreement)
[Reply]
Page 1975 of 3903
« First < 975147518751925196519711972197319741975 197619771978197919852025207524752975 > Last »
Up