ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 25 of 70
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
Donger 02:33 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Troi. Easily.
Yes, but I don't think she was cast for acting skills:

[Reply]
Frazod 02:37 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I had a very similar experience. Watched the first few episodes, decided it was garbage, stopped watching it and moved on. I thought Picard was crap. Put a French guy in as Captain so the Enterprise could just surrender to everyone. Give him an even cheesier version of Kirk as his XO. Copy Spock but make him an android. Troi was fucking useless. Blah. At some point I saw the episode 'Conspiracy' (mind control worms, Picard and Riker explode a guy's head with a phaser) either on its original air date or in reruns and enjoyed it. Gave it another chance and the show was noticeably better by then. Still not all that great but tolerable. Eventually it won me over.
The two episodes that dealt with the mind controlling aliens were definitely the high point of the first season. I'm still surprised that the exploding head bit made it past the sensors of the time.
[Reply]
candyman 04:48 PM 03-08-2020
I'm caught up now. Its alright, not near as good as I had hoped/expected. Part of that is my fault though, I haven't watched TNG through since it ended and the only other Star Trek I watched was DS9. Had I watched Voyager and TNG more recently I'd probably understand/remember more about the characters. I had to Google who Seven of Nine was.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:26 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by candyman:
I'm caught up now. Its alright, not near as good as I had hoped/expected. Part of that is my fault though, I haven't watched TNG through since it ended and the only other Star Trek I watched was DS9. Had I watched Voyager and TNG more recently I'd probably understand/remember more about the characters. I had to Google who Seven of Nine was.
I'll bet you won't have to next time. :-)
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:03 PM 03-08-2020
Fyi: there are a lot of good 7 of 9 episodes of Voyager. When she joined the cast it was like the writers finally found a character they knew how to write.

Jeri Ryan is a surprisingly talented actress. And singer:

[Reply]
Bowser 07:15 PM 03-08-2020
Wow, impressive.

Wasn't she married to some abusive asshole jackass for a long time?
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:29 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Wow, impressive.

Wasn't she married to some abusive asshole jackass for a long time?
I don't think he was physically abusive; I believe he was mentally/emotionally abusive or at least domineering. Not saying that's better, but just that I don't believe he was violent towards her, if I remember the story correctly.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:53 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I don't think he was physically abusive; I believe he was mentally/emotionally abusive or at least domineering. Not saying that's better, but just that I don't believe he was violent towards her, if I remember the story correctly.
He was a perv.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:56 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
He was a perv.
Yeah, something about wanting her to engage in swinging with him or something, IIRC.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:36 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Yeah, something about wanting her to engage in swinging with him or something, IIRC.
He was also running as a republican for the Illinois senate seat that would eventually be won by Obama when all the kinky details were made public. He had to withdraw from the race, and the last second replacement candidate got crushed.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:49 AM 03-09-2020
I think I cried three separate times.

When Riker started telling Picard what was what it was like watching an epsiode of TNG.

That was one of the best interactions Picard and Riker have ever had.

And when Riker raised the the fucking shields around HIS HOUSE it was like he was on the bridge of the Enterprise.

God damn that was great.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:56 AM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Jamie:
His last appearance was the two-parter where he was leading a group of Borg that were cut off from the collective after assimilating the concept of individuality from Hugh. In the end he was shot by Data, deactivated, and dismantled.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

[Reply]
keg in kc 04:56 PM 03-12-2020
Big infodump episode this week. Lots of questions cleared up. Sort of.
[Reply]
listopencil 08:40 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

[Reply]
KC_Connection 09:56 PM 03-12-2020
That was a good one, one of the best so far. And with new every episode that comes, I become more convinced that Lore is this "Destroyer."
[Reply]
Page 25 of 70
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Up