ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3130 of 3903
« First < 2130263030303080312031263127312831293130 31313132313331343140318032303630 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
ptlyon 09:51 AM 11-17-2020
Haven't visited in a while. Glad to see this thread stayed non-political. :-)
[Reply]
Monticore 10:00 AM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Uhh yeah thats what the DPA is supposed to do, force companies to make the PPE.

We could have forced 3M to open more factories to increase PPE capacity here in the USA.

Thats exactly what we did with ventilators. The taxpayers paid the set up costs but the federal government doesn't know how to make ventilators. The government used the DPA to force GE to open up a shuttered plant and make more ventilators. Ended the ventilator shortage.

We didnt do that with PPE.

We started with a shuttered building and solved the vent shortage in 2 months time. No one can make an reasonable argument that America is not capable of making enough PPE, which are way way easier to manufacture than vents, for its citizens safety in 9 months time.

Edit:
The government pays the start up costs but the company that was forced to open, keeps all the profits. So its not like the shareholders lost money either.
Cost of PPE is getting ridiculous, my wife bought cheaper n95s because 1500$ for 100 masks seemed a tad expensive, she paid 750$
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:01 AM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
BRC pretty much answered this but yes they could contract with another company or force them. The government has wide authority to do what needs to be done in a crisis like this.

We also need to start making certain drugs here in the US as well that way we aren't dependent on China.
They have wide authority to prioritize "common good" manufacturing over course-of-business manufacturing. For example, forcing GE to make more ventilators.

From my understanding, they can also disburse funds for starting up operations but it doesn't give them the authority to force a company to make something that is currently something they don't make. For example, if Purell only makes hand sanitizer in Malaysia and has no facilities here, they can't force Purell to make it here without additional incentives. My understanding is admittedly limited however.

Also, while making drugs here would be a good thing, the government can only prioritize drugs related to the immediate crisis of course. Wholesale manufacturing of drugs in the US would be a sweeping change largely covered outside of the DPA.

It would have been nice if the government would have been incentivizing companies for the past 2 decades to not move all their operations overseas, but that ship has sailed, pardon the pun. Despite the gravity of the COVD situation, it's still a relatively "mild" crisis and here we are. Imagine what things would be like if it were more lethal or if were in some kind of war?

So yes, you're absolutely right. This needs to get fixed, both in the short-term and the long.
[Reply]
R Clark 10:02 AM 11-17-2020
For being the greatest nation in the world it’s some ignorant shit that we aren’t turning out massive amounts of ppe .politics should be left in the ditch along the road.
[Reply]
R Clark 10:04 AM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They have wide authority to prioritize "common good" manufacturing over course-of-business manufacturing. For example, forcing GE to make more ventilators.

From my understanding, they can also disburse funds for starting up operations but it doesn't give them the authority to force a company to make something that is currently something they don't make. For example, if Purell only makes hand sanitizer in Malaysia and has no facilities here, they can't force Purell to make it here without additional incentives. My understanding is admittedly limited however.

Also, while making drugs here would be a good thing, the government can only prioritize drugs related to the immediate crisis of course. Wholesale manufacturing of drugs in the US would be a sweeping change largely covered outside of the DPA.

It would have been nice if the government would have been incentivizing companies for the past 2 decades to not move all their operations overseas, but that ship has sailed, pardon the pun. Despite the gravity of the COVD situation, it's still a relatively "mild" crisis and here we are. Imagine what things would be like if it were more lethal or if were in some kind of war?

So yes, you're absolutely right. This needs to get fixed, both in the short-term and the long.
Just think if something happen like ww two we would be so screwed today
[Reply]
Skyy God 10:58 AM 11-17-2020
How freaking cool is it that Dolly Parton helped develop the Moderna vaccine??

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...cine-covid-19/
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:59 AM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
So who is the federal government going to contract with to take over these shuttered plants? Are they going to force them to do it? Or are they just going to do it themselves, since the government apparently has some kind latent manufacturing ability?
By the time anything was actually operational to an effective extent we would be years past Coronavirus. Its sounds easy to say we need to open plants to start making PPE but the reality is its not nearly that simple. I mean first off where you getting the equipment? Do we need to build that too? Where does that come from etc....Then you need the raw materials to make the PPE, where does that come from?

Hopefully though we learn from this situation and don't get caught with our pants down next time.
[Reply]
Marcellus 11:01 AM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by R Clark:
For being the greatest nation in the world it’s some ignorant shit that we aren’t turning out massive amounts of ppe .politics should be left in the ditch along the road.
I would assume that will change but this is something that would literally take years to accomplish.
[Reply]
Fish 11:20 AM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
How freaking cool is it that Dolly Parton helped develop the Moderna vaccine??

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...cine-covid-19/
Dolly Parton is actually a pretty freaking awesome person. She's directly donated ~150,000,000 books to kids across the world too. As well as various other charities and programs.

https://imaginationlibrary.com/
[Reply]
Otter 11:37 AM 11-17-2020

Something extremely bogus is going on. Was tested for covid four times today. Two tests came back negative, two came back positive. Same machine, same test, same nurse. Rapid antigen test from BD.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) November 13, 2020

[Reply]
TLO 11:42 AM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
Hard Q.

But yes, it is a bit odd. I wonder what his results would be if he had gotten a PCR test?
[Reply]
O.city 11:55 AM 11-17-2020

THE GOOD NEWS: Immunity to the coronavirus might last years, maybe even decades, according to a new study — the most hopeful look yet at this issue. 1/xhttps://t.co/ntTmKxKjbm

— Apoorva Mandavilli (@apoorva_nyc) November 17, 2020

You mean it's like every other virus we know about? I'm shocked.
[Reply]
TLO 12:01 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:

[Reply]
Pants 12:03 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
:-)
[Reply]
R Clark 12:04 PM 11-17-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I would assume that will change but this is something that would literally take years to accomplish.
I am not a manufacturing guru but I ain’t buying yrs . I’ve been on to many fast pace projects that were a hellve a lot more complicated than making ppe and it didn’t take yrs .you got the money anything can be made to happen in damn near any time frame
[Reply]
Page 3130 of 3903
« First < 2130263030303080312031263127312831293130 31313132313331343140318032303630 > Last »
Up