ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Share your SB IV era memorabilia here
cdcox 12:24 AM 01-24-2020
The big license plate is from 1970, obviously. Not sure of the date of the small one.
Attached: 604CC0B4-E488-48CF-A947-9DCBFE9B9EE6.jpg (46.1 KB) 
[Reply]
F150 08:40 AM 01-26-2020
Friend sent to me on FB, a post from 2019 after EJ crossed over to the Big Ranch

RIP EJ

Storytime: Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Famer E.J. Holub, the only man to start two different Super Bowls at two different positions and probably the only man to ride his horse into a second-story club in downtown Tulsa.
I interviewed him post-retirement when he was managing the horse operation at the famous Mullendore Ranch at Copan, Okla. And he still looked his old Texas Tech nickname — "The Beast" — fit him pretty comfortably.
After more than a decade of playing linebacker and center, Holub was sidelined by a dozen knee operations. One sportswriter, observing the crisscross of scars commented, “He looked like he’d been in a knife fight with a midget.”

[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 09:03 AM 01-26-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
Classy !!! Interesting that the Arrowhead on the jacket points to the left as you look at it from the front. I wonder when the direction of the Arrowhead changed?
Those jackets! The players wore a version with red arrowhead on road trips in those days.

According to Willie Lanier, Hank Stram, being a man of great sartorial splendor, had those suit jackets designed and custom made for the players by a KC tailor. In those days, the logo on the left pocket pointed to the person’s right.

Not sure when that changed. There is a splendid video on YouTube called “The Final Showdown” a 24 minute historical look at the Chiefs/Raiders rivalry and narrated by John Facenda.

In the show, there is a great 30 second spot showing Stram and Dawson strolling the Oakland-Alameda Coliseum a day or two prior to the last AFL Championship wearing the suit jackets. They were probably discussing what a shitbox the AAC was. That stadium was below sea level, so it had parts that were always muddy and slippery.

That video should be required viewing for all Chiefs fans under 40. To see all those men that were a part of the first championship age of Chiefs football, and to see the changes in how the game was played is really worth the 24 minutes.
[Reply]
F150 09:09 AM 01-26-2020
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
Those jackets! The players wore a version with red arrowhead on road trips in those days.

According to Willie Lanier, Hank Stram, being a man of great sartorial splendor, had those suit jackets designed and custom made for the players by a KC tailor. In those days, the logo on the left pocket pointed to the person’s right.

Not sure when that changed. There is a splendid video on YouTube called “The Final Showdown” a 24 minute historical look at the Chiefs/Raiders rivalry and narrated by John Facenda.

In the show, there is a great 30 second spot showing Stram and Dawson strolling the Oakland-Alameda Coliseum a day or two prior to the last AFL Championship wearing the suit jackets. They were probably discussing what a shitbox the AAC was. That stadium was below sea level, so it had parts that were always muddy and slippery.

That video should be required viewing for all Chiefs fans under 40. To see all those men that were a part of the first championship age of Chiefs football, and to see the changes in how the game was played is really worth the 24 minutes.

[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 09:11 AM 01-26-2020
I guess I could have linked it.

Thanks.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 09:45 AM 01-26-2020
Originally Posted by bsp4444:
https://images.app.goo.gl/SHF7x6fnMUPjqdNu7

I have the vinyl album, Hail to the Chiefs play by play of the 1969 season (this picture is not of mine, it’s in storage).

Originally Posted by :
I have it too... somewhere in a box. I drove my Mom crazy listening to that record all the time when I was a kid.
I've looked for that among my vinyl. Could one of you guys maybe, please, locate yours and maybe, please, upload it to SoundCloud so we could all enjoy it?

During SB IV, my mom used my dads old reel to reel to audio record the Jack Buck CBS telecast. That tape is now long gone and the NFL did a shit job archiving that game.

My plan is to record the (last) 101.1 The Fox radio broadcast as well as Westwood One with (god PLEASE let it be Kevin Harlan) and have all 3 of those recordings for my kids and grandkids.
[Reply]
Coyote 10:22 AM 01-26-2020
Thanks for the video. Never saw that before.
In 1970, we took a family road trip to San Francisco in my Mom’s 1969 Charger R/T with Chiefs helmet stickers on the rear window and passenger’s side window. I remember lots of folks honking and flipping us off. That was funny stuff to a kid.
[Reply]
gblowfish 10:29 AM 01-26-2020
I have the coolest item of all. I have a ball signed by the entire SB IV winning team. My mom got it from Remi Prudhomme after he had knee surgery at Menorah Hospital a few days after the Super Bowl. He was frightened of surgery, and my mom calmed him down on the way in to the ER. Afterwards, she sat with him in the recovery room and told him our whole family were big fans. A few days after, he had the ball sent to the hospital as a thank you for her kindness. Parents gave the ball to me in 1993 when they moved to Arkansas and retired. I also have a second ball signed by all the HOF's except DT and the ones from the last couple years. I'm working on Johnny Robinson next, just got Will Shields last year.

I have the Hail to the Chiefs record, and digitized it. Have in on a hard drive here somewhere.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 10:30 AM 01-26-2020
Originally Posted by Coyote:
Thanks for the video. Never saw that before.
In 1970, we took a family road trip to San Francisco in my Mom’s 1969 Charger R/T with Chiefs helmet stickers on the rear window and passenger’s side window. I remember lots of folks honking and flipping us off. That was funny stuff to a kid.
That was originally part of the Saturday NFL Films "This Week In Pro Football" and they did the game of the week with Tom Brookshire and Pat Summerall.

Was a great show.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 10:32 AM 01-26-2020
I have an unused ticket.

Have wanted a ring forever but a real one has never come up for sale that I found.
[Reply]
Coyote 10:41 AM 01-26-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I have the coolest item of all. I have a ball signed by the entire SB IV winning team. My mom got it from Remi Prudhomme after he had knee surgery at Menorah Hospital a few days after the Super Bowl. He was frightened of surgery, and my mom calmed him down on the way in to the ER. Afterwards, she sat with him in the recovery room and told him our whole family were big fans. A few days after, he had the ball sent to the hospital as a thank you for her kindness. Parents gave the ball to me in 1993 when they moved to Arkansas and retired. I also have a second ball signed by all the HOF's except DT and the ones from the last couple years. I'm working on Johnny Robinson next, just got Will Shields last year.

I have the Hail to the Chiefs record, and digitized it. Have in on a hard drive here somewhere.
If it’s like the one in post 31, there are apparently several. Posts (31,48, 59). I learned here that they were not that unusual. Your story is better though.
[Reply]
Chiefaholic 10:55 AM 01-26-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Maybe. It's one of the original Redcoats.(there is one just like it on display @ the stadium) It was passed down to me by a sweet woman that my mom was friends/worked for with 35 yrs @ IBM down on 14th & Baltimore. She knew me my whole life. It belonged to her husband, an original Redcoater.

They have both since passed, but I know they would be thrilled that we are in the SB!! Most likely going to wear it for them on game day.

I was shocked and bawled when I received it.. It's in pristine condition.

Thanks for asking .
That's awesome, buddy.

I was born in November of '71, so this is my first Superbowl. Outside of a few autographs from members of the SB 4 team, I don't have any actual game memorabilia. However, I plan to buy a lot this round and give it to my grandson.
[Reply]
gblowfish 11:07 AM 01-26-2020
If it’s like the one in post 31, there are apparently several. Posts (31,48, 59). I learned here that they were not that unusual. Your story is better though.
Mine and yours are different. Yours is a Spaulding, mine is a Wilson:
Attached: sb-balls.jpg (84.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 11:14 AM 01-26-2020
Originally Posted by Nzoner:
Speaking of 3 channels did anyone else ever nod off in front of the tube only to be awoken by the National Anthem playing before the station went off air at midnight?
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
How about waking up with the "test pattern" on the screen?:-)
:-)

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:

Thx man and I will definitely watch that vid !!:-)
[Reply]
Coyote 12:10 PM 01-26-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Mine and yours are different. Yours is a Spaulding, mine is a Wilson:
Roger that. Makes me curious about how many of these balls that they signed.
[Reply]
Pointer19 01:22 PM 01-26-2020
Roger that. Makes me curious about how many of these balls that they signed.
Was there a market for signed stuff back then? I wonder if this happens less because some people only collect autographs to list on eBay.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up