ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 96 of 361
« First < 46869293949596 979899100106146196 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 07:14 PM 01-07-2018
So...this seems a little crazy to say, but the next launch on the calendar is...

Falcon Heavy.

(Though it's certainly possible that another launch will leap frog it if it gets delayed.)
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 07:14 PM 01-07-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Well, I'm giving this webcast a D. Not a lot of effort on the visuals for this one. Oh well. [/spoiled]

Sorry to hear the webcast sucked. I watched this one from my back balcony. One of the coolest launches I've seen in years.
[Reply]
Donger 07:14 PM 01-07-2018
Yeah, true. They usually just show state 2 telemetry, but on these classified launches, apparently they want to have SOMETHING to show. :-)
It didn't seem to add up, honestly. After the re-entry burn ended, the speed was decreasing rapidly. Why? I get the atmosphere is getting thicker but it was sloughing off speed like crazy well beyond the landing burn.
[Reply]
Molitoth 07:15 PM 01-07-2018
So...this seems a little crazy to say, but the next launch on the calendar is...

Falcon Heavy.

(Though it's certainly possible that another launch will leap frog it if it gets delayed.)
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
DaFace 07:15 PM 01-07-2018
Originally Posted by Donger:
It didn't seem to add up, honestly. After the re-entry burn ended, the speed was decreasing rapidly. Why? I get the atmosphere is getting thicker but it was sloughing off speed like crazy well beyond the landing burn.
Atmospheric drag most likely.
[Reply]
Donger 07:16 PM 01-07-2018

Falcon Heavy.

Wood... I simply cannot wait.
[Reply]
Donger 07:17 PM 01-07-2018
Atmospheric drag most likely.
Yeah, I wrote that. But it just seemed wrong. Way too much. Gravity wins.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 07:17 PM 01-07-2018

Falcon Heavy.

I'm really looking forward to that one. I can watch these launches from my front yard.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:18 PM 01-07-2018
Originally Posted by Donger:
Yeah, I wrote that. But it just seemed wrong. Way too much. Gravity wins.
Yeah, that stuff is definitely beyond me. I know they try to use the atmosphere to slow it down in order to save fuel, but that's about as far as I can get.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:19 PM 01-07-2018
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
I'm really looking forward to that one. I can watch these launches from my front yard.
Color me jealous. I'd fly down and try to catch it if it weren't for the high likelihood that it will get delayed multiple times.
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 07:19 PM 01-07-2018

Falcon Heavy.

They want to launch it this month. No day and time yet.
[Reply]
Donger 07:20 PM 01-07-2018
Yeah, that stuff is definitely beyond me. I know they try to use the atmosphere to slow it down in order to save fuel, but that's about as far as I can get.
I'd love to see the numbers again and compare from the re-entry burn deceleration until the landing burn. I honestly thought that they were fake...

Not turning into TJ... It's okay! :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 07:21 PM 01-07-2018
Actually, now that I think about the velocity thing, it's both a vertical and horizontal velocity, so conceivably it's already basically falling at terminal velocity, but it's losing horizontal velocity?

:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 07:23 PM 01-07-2018

[Reply]
Donger 07:23 PM 01-07-2018
Actually, now that I think about the velocity thing, it's both a vertical and horizontal velocity, so conceivably it's already basically falling at terminal velocity, but it's losing horizontal velocity?

:-)
The graphic showed "speed" and "altitude." But yes, maybe? Love it.
[Reply]
Page 96 of 361
« First < 46869293949596 979899100106146196 > Last »
Up