ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 178 of 361
« First < 78128168174175176177178 179180181182188228278 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 11:30 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
4:33pm Eastern (same time as the live launch). I'm guessing they're treating a lot of it like a wet dress rehearsal.
Great, thanks! I hope they stream it.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:32 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Great, thanks! I hope they stream it.
I doubt you'll see an official SpaceX stream, but chances are one of the news agencies will. You can try to keep an eye on this reddit thread or this twitter list for updates.
[Reply]
Donger 11:33 AM 05-22-2020
I doubt you'll see an official SpaceX stream, but chances are one of the news agencies will. You can try to keep an eye on this reddit thread or this twitter list for updates.
:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 11:33 AM 05-22-2020
Just to make sure it's clear:

There were some wild rumors circulating earlier today that Doug Loverro's resignation was linked to his concerns about the SpaceX Demo-2 mission. These were false and seemed design to throw up FUD with the nearing launch date.

— Eric Berger (@SciGuySpace) May 22, 2020

[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 11:40 AM 05-22-2020

Spaceflightnow or news13 orlando should have it.
[Reply]
Donger 11:42 AM 05-22-2020
Love this:

[Reply]
Pants 11:44 AM 05-22-2020
Kind of funny how their suits look like something out of a B movie set. I am so fucking excited about the progress all of these private outfits are making. It's incredible. Thank god for Overlords Bezos and Musk.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:07 PM 05-22-2020

The Flight Readiness Review has concluded! NASA's SpaceX Crew Dragon mission is cleared to proceed toward liftoff.

Tune in to NASA TV for the following:
2:15pm ET: Virtual Q&A with @AstroBehnken and @Astro_Doug
2:45pm ET: Post-Review News Conference

��: https://t.co/YeWrpz41EN pic.twitter.com/Pi40JDxN6t

— NASA Commercial Crew (@Commercial_Crew) May 22, 2020

[Reply]
unlurking 12:12 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Kind of funny how their suits look like something out of a B movie set. I am so fucking excited about the progress all of these private outfits are making. It's incredible. Thank god for Overlords Bezos and Musk.
https://www.newsweek.com/spacex-hire...cesuits-457293

Space travellers of the future may look more like superheroes than conventional astronauts, after SpaceX hired the Hollywood costume designer behind the suits of Iron Man and Batman.

Elon Musk's space company hired costume designer Jose Fernandez, whose costumes have appeared in Batman v Superman, Iron Man, The Avengers and Tron: Legacy.

"SpaceX, the company run by Elon Musk, reached out to me to ask if I would create a spacesuit," Fernandez told Bleep. "I didn't know what SpaceX was and I thought it was a film. Then I realized it's an actual space program.

"The look they are going to unveil in the next few months is something we created here in the studio. [Musk] wanted it to look stylish. It had to be practical but also needed to look great."

Musk said in a 2015 interview that the spacesuit design for SpaceX would focus heavily on design aesthetics, not just utility, saying: "It needs to both look like a 21st century spacesuit and work well."

The design submitted by Fernandez was developed in collaboration with Musk over a period of six months. According to the designer, the final suit design is currently being reverse engineered to make it functional for space flight. SpaceX was not immediately available for comment.

"It's pretty bad ass," Fernandez said. "[Musk] kept saying, 'Anyone looks better in a tux, no matter what size or shape they are,' and when people put this space suit on, he wants them to look better than when they did without it, like a tux.

"You look heroic in it. It's an iconic thing to be a part of."
[Reply]
Donger 04:24 PM 05-22-2020
So, no test-fire?
[Reply]
DaFace 04:37 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
So, no test-fire?

Static fire of Falcon 9 complete – targeting Wednesday, May 27 at 4:33 p.m. EDT for Crew Dragon’s launch to the @Space_Station with @AstroBehnken and @AstroDoug on board → https://t.co/bJFjLCzWdK pic.twitter.com/IGq1xu7CbT

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) May 22, 2020

[Reply]
Donger 04:41 PM 05-22-2020
God, I suck at Twitter...

:-)

Thanks DaFace
[Reply]
Donger 02:02 PM 05-23-2020
I'd never seen this before today. How not to perform stage separation...

[Reply]
eDave 06:09 PM 05-25-2020
In some kind of cool non-SpaceX news, Virgin Orbit is testing their launch system this weekend. It's not as exciting as all of the manned stuff, but it'll be interesting to see if they can make satellite launches from beneath a 747 work.

Branson’s Virgin Orbit Fails in Attempted Rocket Launch From 747

Billionaire Richard Branson’s Virgin Orbit said a crucial test of its two-stage, orbital rocket system, designed to rival that of Elon Musk’s SpaceX for satellite launches, ended the mission shortly after releasing the rocket from the plane.

“We’ve confirmed a clean release from the aircraft. However, the mission terminated shortly into the flight,” the company tweeted Monday. “Cosmic Girl and our flight crew are safe and returning to base.”
[Reply]
DaFace 06:32 PM 05-25-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Branson’s Virgin Orbit Fails in Attempted Rocket Launch From 747

Billionaire Richard Branson’s Virgin Orbit said a crucial test of its two-stage, orbital rocket system, designed to rival that of Elon Musk’s SpaceX for satellite launches, ended the mission shortly after releasing the rocket from the plane.

“We’ve confirmed a clean release from the aircraft. However, the mission terminated shortly into the flight,” the company tweeted Monday. “Cosmic Girl and our flight crew are safe and returning to base.”
Well, bummer. Hope they keep at it.
[Reply]
Page 178 of 361
« First < 78128168174175176177178 179180181182188228278 > Last »
Up