ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 13
« First < 3910111213
Nzoner's Game Room>Official Washington Football Club vs Cowboys thread
Deberg_1990 03:38 PM 11-26-2020
Big game. Whoever wins is in the drivers seat for the NFC East title!

Let’s go Alex!!
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:39 PM 11-28-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The only part I take exception to is the part in bold.

Alex Smith was not taking any team to a title. Ever.
Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, and Phil Simms and a slew of other very average QBs got to the big show. Alex could've gotten there. He just needed a ton of help and some big lucky bounces like all of those guys is all.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:52 PM 11-28-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, and Phil Simms and a slew of other very average QBs got to the big show. Alex could've gotten there. He just needed a ton of help and some big lucky bounces like all of those guys is all.
He had one of the best defenses in the NFL, and one of the 5 best defenses in Chiefs history in 2014 and couldn't even make the playoffs. The defense was only marginally worse in 2015 and ended up losing in the divisional round because Alex Smith had a pathetic 4.92 YPA.
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 11:28 AM 11-29-2020
The Washington Football Club name is working :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:50 AM 11-29-2020
He had one of the best defenses in the NFL, and one of the 5 best defenses in Chiefs history in 2014 and couldn't even make the playoffs. The defense was only marginally worse in 2015 and ended up losing in the divisional round because Alex Smith had a pathetic 4.92 YPA.
Are we talking about the loss to IND 45-44?

Okay. But let's be honest here about that defense. On paper, yeah, they were very good. They had all the stats you'd care to want. But Bob Sutton was still coaching that defense, and his inability to adjust led to some meltdowns in those playoffs games, specifically the epic meltdown in the case of the Colts loss/2014.

Alex threw for:
30/46 378yds 8.2/att 4TD 0 INT 86.3QBR 119.7PRTG.

Smith did more than enough to win that game.

But the defense gave up 35 points in the second half. I don't care what team or defense you've got, if you give up 35 points in the second half, you're probably about 99% going to lose that game.

In 2015, Alex led the Chiefs to a 30-0 rout of HOU, and then kind of had a let-down performance against the Pats.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:57 AM 11-29-2020
Are we talking about the loss to IND 45-44?

Okay. But let's be honest here about that defense. On paper, yeah, they were very good. They had all the stats you'd care to want. But Bob Sutton was still coaching that defense, and his inability to adjust led to some meltdowns in those playoffs games, specifically the epic meltdown in the case of the Colts loss/2014.

Alex threw for:
30/46 378yds 8.2/att 4TD 0 INT 86.3QBR 119.7PRTG.

Smith did more than enough to win that game.

But the defense gave up 35 points in the second half. I don't care what team or defense you've got, if you give up 35 points in the second half, you're probably about 99% going to lose that game.

In 2015, Alex led the Chiefs to a 30-0 rout of HOU, and then kind of had a let-down performance against the Pats.
Alex could have prevented that meltdown against Indy. You can't just take his stats out of context and say it wasn't his fault.

At 38-17, Alex got happy feet and fumbled, leading to a Colts score. The Chiefs got the ball back and Alex went right back to scrambling. 3 and out.

The defense did their job and got an INT at the Indy TWENTY NINE. 4 plays and a FG.

The defense gave up another TD but keep in mind, it's still 41-31 at the point. Smith and the Chiefs posses the ball for all of 2 minutes and gave the ball back after just 6 plays.

The offense had ONE good drive in the entire second half and that 11-play drive ended in a FG.

They lost by 1 point. ONE PLAY by Smith anywhere in the 2nd half would have one that game. Just one.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:00 PM 11-29-2020
And for the record, the Indy game was 2013.

The defense was legit great in 2014 and they didn't even qualify for the playoffs. That was the year I believe that Alex didn't have a single TD to a WR.

In 2015, the defense wasn't quite as good. But that season ended with the game I brought up.

It wasn't a "let down", it was a typical Alex performance in a big game against a big-time opponent.

Seriously, he had 50 attempts for 246 yards. Not even 5 yards per attempt. That's historically bad.
[Reply]
penchief 12:01 PM 11-29-2020
Originally Posted by OrtonsPiercedTaint:
The Washington Football Club name is working :-)
I don’t mind it. It sounds like a throwback to the earliest days of pro football.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:07 PM 11-29-2020
And for the record, the Indy game was 2013.

The defense was legit great in 2014 and they didn't even qualify for the playoffs. That was the year I believe that Alex didn't have a single TD to a WR.

In 2015, the defense wasn't quite as good. But that season ended with the game I brought up.

It wasn't a "let down", it was a typical Alex performance in a big game against a big-time opponent.

Seriously, he had 50 attempts for 246 yards. Not even 5 yards per attempt. That's historically bad.
Okay, I give you the Pats game performance. Looking at the boxscore again, Alex had a bad game, period.

But I still contend that your defense can't give up 35 in the second half. That's just terrible defense. Alex's numbers in that game, in particular throwing 4 TDs vs. 0 INTs is about as good as it gets for any QB, not just Alex. Yeah, he turned the ball over on a fumble, but for the game he turned the ball over just once. Any HC in the league would take that vs. 4 TD passes.

Bottom line, Sutton fucked that game up, not Alex Smith.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:19 PM 11-29-2020
Okay, I give you the Pats game performance. Looking at the boxscore again, Alex had a bad game, period.

But I still contend that your defense can't give up 35 in the second half. That's just terrible defense. Alex's numbers in that game, in particular throwing 4 TDs vs. 0 INTs is about as good as it gets for any QB, not just Alex. Yeah, he turned the ball over on a fumble, but for the game he turned the ball over just once. Any HC in the league would take that vs. 4 TD passes.

Bottom line, Sutton fucked that game up, not Alex Smith.
There are a dozen QB's in the league that could have managed to score a TD on that gift INT where Alex managed just 4 yards in 4 plays and a FG.

I know it's hard to reconcile when the defense plays THAT bad but it's very simple - score a TD when you get the ball handed to you at the 28 yard line and you win. After the interception, the Chiefs offense had the ball in Indy territory 4 times on 4 drives and came away with 2 field goals.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 13
« First < 3910111213
Up