ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Upgrading the offensive line (...or not?)
RealSNR 05:06 PM 02-09-2019
Due to the nature of large threads, several days ago the Spagnuolo thread kind of veered off for awhile into a discussion about offensive line. I thought an interesting conversation got going while we were on the subject of drafting/developing players cheaply when we Mahomes eventually needs to get paid and how we can get a head start on gaining some of that flexibility.

These are the Chiefs OL who are 2019 free agents:

Mitch Morse
Jordan Devey
Jeff Allen

If we just let them walk, we'd be left with:

Austin Reiter
Jimmy Murray
Kahlil McKenzie
Andrew Wylie
Eric Fisher
Mitch Schwartz
Cam Erving
LDT

Plus the following dudes from the practice squad if you want to be "official":

Ryan Hunter
Pace Murphy

How much investment in OL do you think is optimal? Are you satisfied with the developmental guys on the roster, or would you go so far to use even a 2nd rounder to replace Morse? Would you take it a step further and also invest in finding a better LG or even backup OT?
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 02:44 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I think we need to upgrade G and Center (Morse won't be back.)

Good news is we can find a respectable starter in the 3rd round or later...
This. Everything between LDT and Fisher is suspect.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 05:35 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Buckweath:
Yeah that Oline was so trash this year that they allowed their QB to throw 50 TD- 5000 yards, be MVP and were part of a historically good offense.

Get a clue.

They just need to keep investing in that Oline.

I would like a center in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Agree w/ the first part.

2nd part however...meh. Would like to see Chiefs draft defense with their first 4 picks...5 if they decide to tag/trade Ford assuming they'd get a 2/3 out of the guy.

Backup interior OL guys did a fine job this year for the most part.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:21 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
We need some OL. Mahomes ran fir his life way too much.
^^^ I couldn't agree more. He took a lot of big hits that would have been roughing the passer if it was Brady.
[Reply]
58-4ever 09:02 AM 02-10-2019
Morse will be out of the league in a few years. How many concussions has he had?
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:46 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Solidify the protection in front of Mahomes.
This right here is HUGE going forward if we are to compete for a SB every year going forward. Keeping Pat upright and healthy. :-)

I've never been satisfied with our o-line's lack of physicality when we needed it most since AR has been here.:-) We have always struggled against good physical d-lines not being able to run/protect. The Ravens,Titans,Pats and Steelers have spanked us. And mind you in our own house with the Titans doing it 2wice and 3 of the 4 I mentioned here in the playoffs.:-)

I like Reiter and Wylie. They are nasty and athletic.

Morse is too undersized and soft thus gets pushed around and his time is done here.

Fisher is just average at best for the $$ he makes and pulls boners at the wrong time of the game. It is easy to get into his head thus loses confidence against better pass rushers. Need to start looking for his replacement.

LDT waaaay over paid and starting to become soft. Not the road grader he should be. Need to start looking for his replacement.

Schwartz is an over achiever with limited athletic ability/strength. He wins most of his battles but against elite rushers he struggles. We need to start looking for his replacement.

For all of us making fun of Cam's hideous pre-season play looking like a turnstile he surprisingly came around to some degree as the season went on before and after his injury. I can see now what Veach saw in him. However for as athletic as he can be he gets ADD really quickly and gets beat at the most crucial times and is not as physical as he could be. Still in development I get that but if he doesn't significantly improve this next year I say start looking for his replacement.

For me right now I only see Reiter and Wylie as our solid starters in the future and maybe Erving IF he continues to improve. Now with that said, I don't know IF what we have in the "depth bucket of devlopment"(practice squad and backups) that could possibly develop into nasty athletic starters. :-)

Excellent thread topic SNR !!:-)
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:50 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
He wasn’t good in pass pro.
:-)

I assure you Reiter and Wylie will be starters this next year.:-)
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:56 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
The Reiter contract was a reward for yeoman’s duty, but I think they see him like they saw Erving in 2017 - your swing guy who can fill in at G/C in a pinch.
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I'd bet DeVey comes back.
Devey will be the swing while Reiter and Wylie start IMHO.
[Reply]
scho63 09:56 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I hope we draft a C in the 2cd or 3rd this year. I also wouldn't be surprised if they have Devey a minimum deal.
Are you serious? :-)

We have so many holes on defense and your second round pick is a fat whitey center?

We can get a good center in the 4th or 5th round at the very least
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:57 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Reiter and Wylie are trash
It's clear you do not have "football eyes".:-)
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 09:57 AM 02-10-2019
Unless Mahomes has something to say to Reid about the subject, I doubt they'll spend much capitol on the O-line this year. Not saying they shouldn't but as others have said, it was enough to get the job done and post historic numbers.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 10:01 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
It's clear you do not have "football eyes".:-)
You're pimping the weakest section of the line.
[Reply]
tyreekthefreak 10:01 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:

We have so many holes on defense and your second round pick is a fat whitey center?

Would a black center be any better???
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 10:06 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:

Well this is what we really don't know is how Reid/Veach/and now Spags see our immediate needs and development of our young talent now on both sides of the ball and how they will proceed. On the surface and to your point our D is a sieve and we have big needs HOWEVER, we don't go anywhere with our franchise QB injured either. Think about it we damn near made it to the SB with a 31st ranked defense and should have gone anyhow IF Ford doesn't pull his ADD stunt. Yes defensively we need fixed BUT you also protect what side of the bread is getting buttered as well IF you want to continue competing for a SB for now until you get your defense respectable. Just saying.:-)
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 10:09 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
You're pimping the weakest section of the line.
I'm pimping the nastiest athletic MOFOs we have right now and I don't see anyone else at this point based on "my football eyes".:-)
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 10:18 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
Not saying they shouldn't but as others have said, it was enough to get the job done and post historic numbers.
Your status quo position here will eventually get our QB injured against the better defenses IMHO. You need to securely protect your Franchise Investment at all costs IF you still want to compete for a SB.:-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up