ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 177 of 324
« First < 77127167173174175176177 178179180181187227277 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 07:02 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by New World Order:
I don't want to let Houston and Ford walk but we can't keep both. We need secondary/LB help.

I'd rather have an impact safety and a solid starter at some other position than Houston or Ford.
Nelson, Sorensen, Bailey, Conley, Morse, Dat, Ware, West, Scandrick, Harris etc leaving should allow the team to get some decent pieces on defense imo and still keep Ford and Houston for another year. A good pass-rush is hard to come by and we had a great one last season. This defense was playing with crap like Scandrick, Parker and Sorensen as starters for God sake. It should be easy to improve the secondary and add a big piece to the lb group too imo.
[Reply]
Chargem 07:59 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
Nelson, Sorensen, Bailey, Conley, Morse, Dat, Ware, West, Scandrick, Harris etc leaving should allow the team to get some decent pieces on defense imo and still keep Ford and Houston for another year. A good pass-rush is hard to come by and we had a great one last season. This defense was playing with crap like Scandrick, Parker and Sorensen as starters for God sake. It should be easy to improve the secondary and add a big piece to the lb group too imo.
I’m afraid that isn’t the case. After the tenders that are pretty much no brainer (e.g. 600k to have butker for another year) and 16m to tag Ford, there is literally only enough cap to sign the draft class unless you cut someone.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:13 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Chargem:
I’m afraid that isn’t the case. After the tenders that are pretty much no brainer (e.g. 600k to have butker for another year) and 16m to tag Ford, there is literally only enough cap to sign the draft class unless you cut someone.
Yep.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:14 AM 02-21-2019
I think he means stay in a 3-4 base, rather than keep the scheme.
No thanks. I've had enough 3-4 for a lifetime.
[Reply]
Brooklyn 08:20 AM 02-21-2019
The Houston restructure just seems to make too much sense for it not to happen. Good at one price, not good at another. Houston isn’t worth what his contract is against the cap (few NFL players are), but he’s still a damn fine player. I personally don’t care what Clark has to pay out of pocket, and there is no luxury tax in this sport.

If we convert his money to a bonus and give him 2 extra years at value pricing, not only does he get more cash up front and the same sum total for 2019, but he also gets a little insurance for himself in the years ahead.

The other choice for him would be to bet on himself that his free market deal would give him more money over a 4 year period, which I’m just not sure about. Plus he’d be giving up on Mahomes and a chance to win a title with a team that I truly think he is invested in. Unless they flat out think he can’t play anymore (he’s proven otherwise on the field and I don’t see him falling off a cliff in the off-season) there is really no good reason not to make this happen.

The better the team can make itself with His freed up cash, the better they all look. His job will be easier and his value goes up. When it’s time for that new deal in 3-4 years, maybe he can squeak out one more payday on the heels of a couple of titles and above average statistical seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 08:53 AM 02-21-2019
Have you got some information that backs up that claim by any chance? Because I find it very hard to believe that we could let si many veterans go and not have enough cap space to make moves.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 08:55 AM 02-21-2019
Have you got some information that backs up that claim by any chance? Because I find it very hard to believe that we could let si many veterans go and not have enough cap space to make moves.
this just proves you have no clue what you are talking about.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:57 AM 02-21-2019
Go to overthecap or sportrac and do your own research, dumbass. Requires the simplest of math. On second thought, better let someone else do it for you. Don't want you to have an aneurysm.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 10:03 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
this just proves you have no clue what you are talking about.
Wow, what an informative response from the forum toddler. Here, have a piece of candy for being so "smart"..

There's a GOOD BOY!!
[Reply]
O.city 10:05 AM 02-21-2019
This new staff looks fucking legit. Super excited to have a defensive coaching staff to match the offense.

Gonna be a fun few years.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:06 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
This new staff looks fucking legit. Super excited to have a defensive coaching staff to match the offense.

Gonna be a fun few years.
Yep. Totally cannot wait to see what they start noodling with in camp.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 10:10 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Go to overthecap or sportrac and do your own research, dumbass. Requires the simplest of math. On second thought, better let someone else do it for you. Don't want you to have an aneurysm.
SMH is this crybaby still wetting his diapers over my posts? :-)

HE disputed what I said you clown, so I asked him to provide some information. Because If that is the case then it contradicts what figures In Chiefs media such as Seth Keysor, Ryan Tracy etc have said regarding keeping those two and adding some free agents to the roster. But why am I even explaining myself to you anyway? You're a big mouth/fake tough guy on a chiefs forum who routinely talks from out of your rear end
:-) .
[Reply]
O.city 10:41 AM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yep. Totally cannot wait to see what they start noodling with in camp.
Yep. It'll be exciting to see.

I'm always excited for the offseason, but this one is gonna be so damn fun.
[Reply]
Lzen 01:20 PM 02-21-2019
My point is the issues on defense were more to do with a lack of quality players in key positions such as the secondary and line-backing group, coupled with Bob's lack of aggression, rather than it being about the 3-4 system. Everyone wants the whole thing torn down and I get it, but we've only got one season left until Pat's contract turns the team's cap upside down. So this is why I wouldn't mind keeping things more simple for at least another season and rather than get rid of everything, just keep the system, keep the pass rush and add heavily to the secondary and lb group.

Folks may disagree but Spags said he'll look at the roster and go with what fits the players best. So yall better be prepared for some disappointment If he decides to take the SAFE route and follow my advice :-).
I like the 3-4 but this is just a bad idea all around. The personnel, especially the young guys, fits better in a 4-3. It just makes sense to switch now.
[Reply]
Chargem 02:59 PM 02-21-2019
The thing you are forgetting is that the Chiefs have been signing guys to deals that balloon in later years, so while some players contracts are off the books, other cap hits are massively increasing. For example Sammy Watkins cap hit more than doubled.

I don't think it's whiny of people to ask you to do the research for yourself, it is actually quite fulfilling to work through it yourself and look at the options I think, but then I am a numbers guy in my day job.

Happy to do the math for you though. Per Spotrac here the Chiefs start with $25.5m to play with. If you don't want to believe either Spotrac or overthecap.com's estimates then I don't know what to tell you, they are taking the salary information from publicly available info and estimating where they need to, they are generally not out by more than a few hundred thousand.

This $25.5m figure is lower than many expected mid season. The reason for this is mainly proven performance escalators (PPE). Again worth a google but basically rookies who accrue enough snaps get a pay bump at certain milestones. As it stands, Murray, Robinson, Hill, Fuller, and probably a few I am forgetting all earned this and are looking at having their salary bumped up from 600k to $2m, which is the reason the Chiefs only have $25.5m to play with.

Getting on to the tenders, the Chiefs have the following people to tender as ERFAs, where the tender is $600k - Butker, Kemp and Hamilton. This is $1.8m of cap used. Then the RFA's, there are Lucas and T Smith. Definitely worth a google of how the tendering works but essentially if you wanted to make sure to keep either of these guys you have to tender them for $2m. I think Lucas probably gets that.

We're now at $3.8m of cap used. The latest estimate of the franchise tag cost for linebackers is $15.7m, which means if you keep Ford you have now used $19.5m of your $25.5m.

Now you have to sign your draft class. This is a little complicated to calculate because the cap is based on your top 51 roster spots, so every time you sign a draft guy you bump a guy off the bottom of the 51 spot and free up probably around $600k as you incur the cost of the rookies salary. You can look up the salaries per draft slot for rookies but of course it varies if the Chiefs trade any picks. Most people estimate about $3-4m of cap needed for signing the full class.

This takes you to $22.5m of cap used if we are generous and estimate at the $3m amount for the rookies, but that still only gives you $3m total cap space left, and most teams try to take around $5m into the season to be able to have room to make trades mid season if it would push them over the top.

And there you have it. Not a single FA signed, just Dee Ford tagged, and the Chiefs have no money for free agents.
[Reply]
Page 177 of 324
« First < 77127167173174175176177 178179180181187227277 > Last »
Up