ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 154 of 324
« First < 54104144150151152153154 155156157158164204254 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:17 PM 02-17-2019
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
So the first three years of mahomes was one where he sat on the bench, the second a transition year for the offense and the third a transition year for the defense. If that's true then that is absolutley disgusting

What are you, Eric Winston?

You really think it would've been wise to completely change both the offensive and defensive systems in a kid's first year as starting QB?

You're dithguthting.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:20 PM 02-17-2019
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
And then you look back and say "damn maybe we should've tried harder to fix that d this year" while watching the patriots win another super bowl.
Because it's Madden and you can fix everything all at once.

They didn't think Mahomes was going to be THAT GOOD. NOBODY DID.

They didn't think the defense was going to be THAT BAD.

it is what it is, but it's pretty hard to second guess the management and head coach when they just drafted and produced a second year NFL MVP QB because they also didn't completely revamp the defense simulataneously.

I mean that's pretty silly, really.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 09:28 PM 02-17-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Because it's Madden and you can fix everything all at once.

They didn't think Mahomes was going to be THAT GOOD. NOBODY DID.

They didn't think the defense was going to be THAT BAD.

it is what it is, but it's pretty hard to second guess the management and head coach when they just drafted and produced a second year NFL MVP QB because they also didn't completely revamp the defense simulataneously.

I mean that's pretty silly, really.
The defense wouldn't have been worse this year if they did
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 09:36 PM 02-17-2019

You really think it would've been wise to completely change both the offensive and defensive systems in a kid's first year as starting QB?
That's how I see it. And it's not even about the kid, it's about Reid saying "no way in FUCK am I overseeing that while trying to get this kid coached up, ready, AND work on this play book".
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:38 PM 02-17-2019

in retrospect, perhaps.

I think it's clear they weren't expecting it to be that bad. So you're all correct in that mistakes were made; we can disagree on what they were.

And the 4-3 switch is all speculation, there's no inside information. It sure does look like a switch was in the works, though. It would explain a lot.

But who knows.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:39 PM 02-17-2019
And would be a year ahead in the transition
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:40 PM 02-17-2019
So the first three years of mahomes was one where he sat on the bench, the second a transition year for the offense and the third a transition year for the defense. If that's true then that is absolutley disgusting
Pretty much. I'd love to know why we kept Sutton around another year instead of just jumping into the deep end if the transition to the 4-3 was on the docket this while time.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:46 PM 02-17-2019
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
And would be a year ahead in the transition
you ever notice how a lot of the shitty teams in the NFL stay shitty for like decades even though they get the top draft picks?

You ever notice how they operate? They careen wildly from one change to another; QB's last a year, coaches maybe 2, totally different schemes, overhaul everything on the fly and then do it all again next year because it didn't work this year.

There's something to be said for being measured, and careful, and consistent.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:49 PM 02-17-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I know this is a conspiracy theory, but I still feel like Andy Reid was building someone else's defense. Either he had confidence Sutton could run a 4-3 similar to Jim Johnson's. Or he was hoping someone like Spags, McDermott, Rivera would become available. Hitch, Speaks, O'Daniel are better fits for this type of defense vs Sutton's. The coaches complaining about Sutton misusing Kpass says something too. Feel like 2018 was supposed to be a transition year for the D. They just never expected the offense to be this damn good so fast.
Spags was available last offseason, too. Reid didn't hire him. He didn't even bring him aboard with some weirdo title like, "special defense projects coordinator" or whatever it was that Childress and Chris Ault were for the offense a few years ago.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:53 PM 02-17-2019
you ever notice how a lot of the shitty teams in the NFL stay shitty for like decades even though they get the top draft picks?

You ever notice how they operate? They careen wildly from one change to another; QB's last a year, coaches maybe 2, totally different schemes, overhaul everything on the fly and then do it all again next year because it didn't work this year.

There's something to be said for being measured, and careful, and consistent.
That has no relevance to this conversation at all. Shitty owners wildly flail like that because they don't have a plan in place and end up miring their team in mediocrity at best. Absolutely no reason we had to keep Sutton and his scheme around another season for the sake of being "measured, careful, and consistent." That shit clearly didn't work, and it never did work when it came time for the playoffs.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:01 PM 02-17-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
That has no relevance to this conversation at all. Shitty owners wildly flail like that because they don't have a plan in place and end up miring their team in mediocrity at best. Absolutely no reason we had to keep Sutton and his scheme around another season for the sake of being "measured, careful, and consistent." That shit clearly didn't work, and it never did work when it came time for the playoffs.
It's absolutely relevant when they knew they were starting a first year QB in a revamped offense built around him. To have BOTH sides of the ball in disarray could potentially have been disastrous.

So if the plan was-let's get Patrick a year in this offense, see what we've got, and we'll look at a defensive overhaul next year.

In fact, I remember seeing somewhere that Veach had said they were re-building the defense and that it was likely a 'two year' rebuild. so here's year 2.

I think A)you guys are still just reacting emotionally to the let-down of being so close but still no SB and B) reacting in a pre-PM2 mode. This was year ONE of Patrick Mahomes. you can't really complain because the plan was emphasizing putting Mahomes in the best situation to succeed. Yeah the defense sucked. So they'll go fix that now. You really can't have total chaos on both sides of the ball. Changing one completely and then the other the next season makes a lot of organizational sense.

I'm done arguing about it; I'm not going to convince you, you just see what you want and don't consider anything else. But who cares? Think what you want.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:06 PM 02-17-2019
Who gives a shit if it was disastrous? You're writing off the season with your logic anyway. "Let's look at a defensive overhaul next season." You're implying that there's clearly something fundamentally broken with your defense, enough that you need to completely overhaul it, you've acknowledged it, and yet you're holding off a year because of the new offense and QB? What?
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 10:09 PM 02-17-2019
It's absolutely relevant when they knew they were starting a first year QB in a revamped offense built around him. To have BOTH sides of the ball in disarray could potentially have been disastrous.

So if the plan was-let's get Patrick a year in this offense, see what we've got, and we'll look at a defensive overhaul next year.

In fact, I remember seeing somewhere that Veach had said they were re-building the defense and that it was likely a 'two year' rebuild. so here's year 2.

I think A)you guys are still just reacting emotionally to the let-down of being so close but still no SB and B) reacting in a pre-PM2 mode. This was year ONE of Patrick Mahomes. you can't really complain because the plan was emphasizing putting Mahomes in the best situation to succeed. Yeah the defense sucked. So they'll go fix that now. You really can't have total chaos on both sides of the ball. Changing one completely and then the other the next season makes a lot of organizational sense.

I'm done arguing about it; I'm not going to convince you, you just see what you want and don't consider anything else. But who cares? Think what you want.
Don't forget the panic over "not getting a SB before the rookie contract runs out"(!)

Man it's terrible to have such problems, isn't it?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:13 PM 02-17-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Who gives a shit if it was disastrous? You're writing off the season with your logic anyway. "Let's look at a defensive overhaul next season." You're implying that there's clearly something fundamentally broken with your defense, enough that you need to completely overhaul it, you've acknowledged it, and yet you're holding off a year because of the new offense and QB? What?
nobody publicly acknowledged anything as far as scheme or coaching staff. Veach said somewhere something about a 2 year rebuild but I don't remember context.

doesn't matter, I'm glad you don't run the team, get off my shit.

You believe what you want to, man.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:17 PM 02-17-2019
nobody publicly acknowledged anything as far as scheme or coaching staff. Veach said somewhere something about a 2 year rebuild but I don't remember context.

doesn't matter, I'm glad you don't run the team, get off my shit.

You believe what you want to, man.
Wut
[Reply]
Page 154 of 324
« First < 54104144150151152153154 155156157158164204254 > Last »
Up