ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 50
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2018-2019 Royals Offseason Repository ***
Coach 09:05 PM 10-29-2018
As the season comes to a close after an awful season, there is a possibility of some hope since the team played better in late August to the end of the season.

Here are all the important dates you need to know for the 2018-19 MLB offseason. Some of them do involve the Royals, such as:

Oct. 29: As of 9 a.m. ET on Monday, all eligible players are free agents (Escobar - good riddance).

Oct. 31: Most contract option decisions are due on this date (Hammel should be declined, resulting $2 million buyout and Peralta should be accepted, resulting $3 million increase to the payroll, and could be future flip for additional minor leaguers if he performs well).

Spoiler!

Nov. 2: Deadline for teams to tender their eligible FA the qualifying offer.

Spoiler!

Nov. 3: Free agency begins.

Nov. 4: Gold Glove winners announced (Gordon & Perez).

Spoiler!

Nov. 6-8: General manager meetings in Carlsbad, California.

Nov. 12: Deadline for free agents to accept or reject the qualifying offer.

Nov. 14-15: Owners meetings in Atlanta (possible future CBA discussions).

Nov. 20: Deadline for teams to add eligible minor leaguers to the 40-man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft.

Spoiler!

Nov. 26-29: MLB Players Association executive board meeting in Dallas (possible future CBA discussions).

Nov. 30: Non-tender deadline.

Dec. 9-13: Winter Meetings in Las Vegas. This is typically when all offseason hell breaks loose.

Dec. 13: Rule 5 Draft (could see the Royals taking a stab here).

Jan. 11: Deadline for teams and arbitration-eligible players to submit 2019 salary figures (I believe KC has some arb-eligible players).

Feb. 1-20: Arbitration hearings. You win some, you lose some.

Mid-Feb. : SPRING TRAINING!

As usual, let's have a good off-season discussion on ways that the Royals can/should/would do to improve. I will try to update the OP as the off-season goes along. And Duncan, you're more than welcome to provide us some information that I can add onto the OP. Just let me know.

To see the 2018 Royals thread, go here.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:35 AM 12-10-2018
That's a good signing if you're on the brink of playoff contention and need a replacement for Terrance Gore :-)

Also, to continue an earlier discussion, I have a question for you all:

Who is a player that is currently in the HOF, is widely accepted by the general public/baseball literati as a HOFer, but you don't think belongs in the Hall?

I'll start with Tom Glavine. Without 4-6 extra inches on the outside of the plate he was just a junkballer with longevity.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 10:38 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
That's a good signing if you're on the brink of playoff contention and need a replacement for Terrance Gore :-)

Who is a player that is currently in the HOF, is widely accepted by the general public/baseball literati as a HOFer, but you don't think belongs in the Hall?

I'll start with Tom Glavine. Without 4-6 extra inches on the outside of the plate he was just a junkballer with longevity.
Jack Morris
[Reply]
Demonpenz 10:44 AM 12-10-2018
Looking at the list of HOF. Pucket and Barry Larkin stick out.
[Reply]
Jerm 10:47 AM 12-10-2018

Of "modern" players, Bruce Sutter or Bill Mazeroski

I think you could make the legit argument against Ozzie Smith too...albeit not a popular opinion lol.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:47 AM 12-10-2018
If the Royals have any faith at all that Lopez can be the future at 2B, I think they're pretty much set with enough options at almost every position to consider a Merrifield trade if they can get a decent return.
[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 10:48 AM 12-10-2018
Joey Gathright v2.0
[Reply]
Demonpenz 10:50 AM 12-10-2018
Joey Gathright was Tom Goodwin 2.0
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:52 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Jerm:
Of "modern" players, Bruce Sutter or Bill Mazeroski

I think you could make the legit argument against Ozzie Smith too...albeit not a popular opinion lol.
If you throw Smith out, you're gonna need to get rid of Larkin, Yount, Trammell, and Ernie Banks, too.

Smith is arguably the greatest defensive player that ever lived. That's a pretty transcendent skill set, especially since he was an above average hitter for a SS at that time.
[Reply]
Jerm 10:55 AM 12-10-2018
If you throw Smith out, you're gonna need to get rid of Larkin, Yount, Trammell, and Ernie Banks, too.

Smith is arguably the greatest defensive player that ever lived. That's a pretty transcendent skill set, especially since he was an above average hitter for a SS at that time.
Fair points...I don't know if I'd personally make the case against Ozzie (probably because I really like him lol) but I think someone a lot smarter than me could.

I think Sutter is the real stand out one though.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 11:08 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:

That makes 0 sense.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 11:08 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
If the Royals have any faith at all that Lopez can be the future at 2B, I think they're pretty much set with enough options at almost every position to consider a Merrifield trade if they can get a decent return.
This is your 43rd post saying the same thing.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 11:11 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
This is your 43rd post saying the same thing.
Not exactly. My point is that signing Owings and Hamilton now gives us enough depth and options that we can make the trade without leaving a huge hole in the roster. We now have options/competition at CF, 2B, and 3B, all the positions that Merrifield could be penciled in at.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 11:17 AM 12-10-2018
@JonHeyman: KC, Billy Hamilton have agreed on base pay and are finalizing deal with performance bonuses. Expected to be close to 5M total. Royals need speed in center.

Future trade bait
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:24 AM 12-10-2018

Craig Biggio (has to be in because of 3,000 but meritless otherwse)

Jack Morris (very good, not great)

Bill Mazerowski, Rabbit Maranville, Johnny Evers, Joe Tinker, Frank Chance
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 11:30 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Not exactly. My point is that signing Owings and Hamilton now gives us enough depth and options that we can make the trade without leaving a huge hole in the roster. We now have options/competition at CF, 2B, and 3B, all the positions that Merrifield could be penciled in at.
Yes. Those guys obviously are the same as Merrifield.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 50
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Up