ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 382
« First < 34567 8910111757107 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
ModSocks 02:53 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
Honestly, there is no style of non-adjunct lager that I can recommend to someone who enjoys Corona. I suppose you could look into American Pale Wheat beers for their light, zippy citrus tones that play off of tangy wheat. In your area you can easily find: Sam Adams Summer Ale, Pyramid Hefeweizen, North Coast Blue Star Great American Wheat Beer, Anchor Summer Beer, Widmir Hefeweizen, among others.
Thank you.

As a beer hobbyist, why is there so much hate for my beloved Corona? Out here, it's a very common beer. I dont meet many that dont like it. but whenever i mention it on this forum, people act like it's awful.

I know nothing about beer. Just know what tastes good IMO. What is your opinion on Corona and why is it so disliked? Like i said, out here, to the average joe, it's a great beer.
[Reply]
NewChief 02:55 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Thank you.

As a beer hobbyist, why is there so much hate for my beloved Corona? Out here, it's a very common beer. I dont meet many that dont like it. but whenever i mention it on this forum, people act like it's awful.

I know nothing about beer. Just know what tastes good IMO. What is your opinion on Corona and why is it so disliked? Like i said, out here, to the average joe, it's a great beer.
It's probably because it (and most popular beers) are fairly watery and diluted in flavor. It's like asking a lover of hot sauce what he thinks about ketchup.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 02:55 PM 04-27-2010
Well, I age the beers that will benefit from aging. Anything hoppy gets consumed immediately.

When do I pull something out of the cellar to enjoy? Usually I do it with one or two friends. I love sharing these beers as much as I love drinking them myself.
So I should probably go buy another Goose Island bourbon County Stout and age it....
[Reply]
Reaper16 03:00 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk:
So I should probably go buy another Goose Island bourbon County Stout and age it....
That beer only gets better with age. When the 2009 came out my friends and I did a 4-year vertical tasting. By that I mean we drank one bottle from each year of 2006-2009. The 2006 & 2007s were Godly. All that alcohol heat is completely diminished and the barrel flavors become so well-integrated with the malts. Luxurious.
[Reply]
Reaper16 03:02 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Thank you.

For me, Corona tastes perpetually skunked. Plus it has the whole sour corn thing going on from the corn used as an adjunct. (Corona is categorized as an adjucnt lager because it uses a lot of corn and rice as adjuncts to the barley in order to produce less calories. Malted barley, water, yeast, hops are the ingredients of beer; anything else is considered an adjunct). I really just think that most adjunct lagers taste awful. The only adjunct lagers that I can stand are PBR and Schlitz.
[Reply]
Shag 03:18 PM 04-27-2010
I would like to post for you all the contents of my beer fridge & beer cellar. I am but a poor college student, so it isn't all that impressive. But still:
Nice collection! Some in there I'd definitely love to try.

What's up with cellaring Hopslam, though? That won't age well...
[Reply]
Reaper16 03:38 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by Shag:
Nice collection! Some in there I'd definitely love to try.

What's up with cellaring Hopslam, though? That won't age well...
Its the last bottle of the case that I bought. Basically, I figure that there is enough malt content and the ABV% is high enough that it can undergo some changes with age. I think it has a chance of becoming an interesting malty beer after a year-and-a-half to two years.
[Reply]
Simply Red 03:50 PM 04-27-2010
I hate, absolutely hate, getting drunk. I rarely have more than one beer a day.
Good for you man, That's actually a VERY big talent (almost) or umm, maybe a great discipline. But whatever it is, it'll help you live longer. :-)

and I'd like to apologize for demonstrating my ignorance, I meant Belgian beer, not 'Belgium beer'

:-)

[Reply]
Reaper16 06:46 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Good for you man, That's actually a VERY big talent (almost) or umm, maybe a great discipline. But whatever it is, it'll help you live longer. :-)

and I'd like to apologize for demonstrating my ignorance, I meant Belgian beer, not 'Belgium beer'

:-)
I've not tried anything from Bison Brewing. I'm not sure they distribute to MO.
[Reply]
Jenson71 06:55 PM 04-27-2010
I hate, absolutely hate, getting drunk. I rarely have more than one beer a day.
Not even a good buzz?
[Reply]
Reaper16 06:57 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by Jenson71:
Not even a good buzz?
Nope. The buzz just pisses me off, usually, because it means that I need to stop drinking soon. I hate the effects of alcohol because 1.) my dad was a physically abusive alcoholic and 2.) because I simply don't like not being in full control of my mental capacities.
[Reply]
Jenson71 07:00 PM 04-27-2010
Nope. The buzz just pisses me off, usually, because it means that I need to stop drinking soon. I hate the effects of alcohol because 1.) my dad was a physically abusive alcoholic and 2.) because I simply don't like not being in full control of my mental capacities.
Very understandable. And I'm sorry to hear about your dad's past.
[Reply]
prhom 07:31 PM 04-27-2010
So.. what's everybody's favorite beer styles?

Mine:
1.) Saison/Farmhouse Ale
2.) American IPA
3.) Imperial Stout (American & European)
A few years ago I would have agreed on two out of three, but I've lost my taste for stouts. I'd have to go with:

1. Beligian trippels and dubbels
2. American IPA
3. Pilsner
[Reply]
KC native 08:38 PM 04-27-2010
Gotta say my favorite style of beer is IPA. Can't say I've hit the lists here like others partly due to having a restaurant/brewery less than 5 minutes from my house and they change their beers very frequently and have 6-8 on tap and partly due to me being more partial to pot. The brewer knows his shit and won the gold medal in the world beer cup for Viena Style Lagers for 2007 (maybe 06 or 08) and just won the silver for the same beer and class.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 08:43 PM 04-27-2010
Ommegang's Hennepin was delicious and makes sense on the list but not in the top 6.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 382
« First < 34567 8910111757107 > Last »
Up