ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Media Center>New Tool
Third Eye 03:56 PM 05-10-2019
I know there's a pretty large contingent of Tool fans here so I figured I'd share in case people were still in the dark. After a longer wait than the Winds of Winter, the new album will drop 8/30. They've been playing a couple new songs live, Invincible and Descending. Bootlegs are below. The sound quality is pretty decent for audience recordings, but you do have to deal with a considerable amount of stupid people chatter in Descending.

[Reply]
MTG#10 05:19 PM 08-08-2019
This song is already a masterpiece imo. Its pretty ****ing awesome when you can listen to a song 20 times the day its released then cant remember what it sounds like the next day at work. I love the complexity of this band.

Originally Posted by Third Eye:
I mean, we can all argue about what we like, but it’s generally considered that 10,000 Days is their worst album. Not everybody thinks that of course, but more do than not. I find those songs to be the worst songs on their worst album. It’s not advanced math!
I mean, I love Opiate and Undertow but 10,000 Days is a LOT better than both in my opinion. Its not really comparable...Opiate and Undertow - while great - are obviously the band in their "teething" stage. Ænima and 10,000 days are both a coin flip for me with Lateralus slightly better than both. But like you said, opinions are like assholes...everyone has one.
[Reply]
Third Eye 05:33 PM 08-08-2019
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
This song is already a masterpiece imo. Its pretty ****ing awesome when you can listen to a song 20 times the day its released then cant remember what it sounds like the next day at work. I love the complexity of this band.

I mean, I love Opiate and Undertow but 10,000 Days is a LOT better than both in my opinion. Its not really comparable...Opiate and Undertow - while great - are obviously the band in their "teething" stage. Ænima and 10,000 days are both a coin flip for me with Lateralus slightly better than both. But like you said, opinions are like assholes...everyone has one.
In fairness, I don’t consider Opiate as part of the equation since it’s just an EP. I do agree that 10,000 Days>Opiate. I’d also not deny that 10,000 Days is much more technically superior than Undertow. That being said, I prefer Undertow, and that rawness is part of the reason why.
[Reply]
SuperChief 03:57 PM 08-09-2019
Subjective, of course, but 10,000 Days is a phenomenal musical accomplishment. If Lateralus didn't exist, people wouldn't take 10k so lightly. Lateralus was just so revolutionary during its time and place.

Undertow can't hold a candle to 10,000 Days.
[Reply]
Third Eye 04:55 PM 08-09-2019
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
Subjective, of course, but 10,000 Days is a phenomenal musical accomplishment. If Lateralus didn't exist, people wouldn't take 10k so lightly. Lateralus was just so revolutionary during its time and place.

Undertow can't hold a candle to 10,000 Days.
I imagine that age is a factor. Undertow came out when I was 16 and it was transformative. Then when Aenima came out, it was such an evolution. Lateralus came out and changed everything again. Then 10,000 Days came out and for the first time, it didn’t feel like step forward.

Don’t get me wrong, LK/RS is amazing. Vicarious is incredibly tight musically, but with some silly lyrics. WfM/10k Days is incredibly emotional, but is just decent on the whole. The rest is just meh, and that’s the only album I can say that about.
[Reply]
SuperChief 09:18 PM 08-11-2019
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
I imagine that age is a factor. Undertow came out when I was 16 and it was transformative. Then when Aenima came out, it was such an evolution. Lateralus came out and changed everything again. Then 10,000 Days came out and for the first time, it didn’t feel like step forward.

Don’t get me wrong, LK/RS is amazing. Vicarious is incredibly tight musically, but with some silly lyrics. WfM/10k Days is incredibly emotional, but is just decent on the whole. The rest is just meh, and that’s the only album I can say that about.
I can respect that. However -

Right in Two
Rosetta Stoned
Jambii

Those are some of the best songs they've ever made. If there were a greatest hits album, one of those is on there. Hell, maybe even Vicarious.
[Reply]
Third Eye 09:55 PM 08-11-2019
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
I can respect that. However -

Right in Two
Rosetta Stone
Jambii

Those are some of the best songs they've ever made. If there were a greatest hits album, one of those is on there. Hell, maybe even Vicarious.
Well I would respectfully disagree with 2 of those, but I think this dead horse has taken enough punishment.
[Reply]
RN47 08:16 AM 08-12-2019
FWIW, I find myself agreeing with Third Eye on this topic. 10K Days has nothing on my 'go-to' list re:Tool. It's enjoyable, but nothing on there breaks any ground.

Sad to know this is likely the last studio album from them.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 08:36 AM 08-12-2019
10000 Days wasn't Lateralus or Aenima but it was good. It's not that Tool needs to show an evolution in my mind, the impressive thing is that they haven't changed much since Aenima, and that's great. So many bands from my childhood had amazing first and second albums, then their third albums became only half good, then everything after that was the same or worse. Tool has been great for decades, all while playing around drop D tuning, and they sound the same, but different at the same time. They don't stretch out and try tons of different things, they're just amazing musician's that compliment each other to near perfection between their riffs and rhythms.

Gimme 46 and 2 because it was the first song I learned on electric bass and is my favorite Tool song, give me Ticks and Leeches because of it's fast pace Danny Carey is going to melt your face off drum work, and then give me Vicarious and Jambi on 10000 days to get a concert started off the right way. I don't view any of their songs to be bad per say, I think they all hold their place in the badass history that is Tool.

I didn't like Fear Inoculum at first, but as I've listened to it over and over again I love it, same with Descending. I'm stoked to hear this album with an amazing set of headphones in my office while I'm working on shit or playing video games, and the fact that it's all on Apple music now, holy shit perfect storm of awesome.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:39 AM 08-12-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
The fucking wait better be worth it, man.
Snooze fest based on what's been released thus far, and considering they usually release the better songs first for new albums, not a good sign.
[Reply]
SuperChief 02:59 PM 08-13-2019
Whoever said these album preferences are somewhat age-dependent was correct. I can tell how much you geezers like Undertow & Aenima compared to Lateralus and 10,000 Days lol

EDIT: And that's okay. To each their own.
[Reply]
RN47 03:11 PM 08-13-2019
LoL

I suppose I’m a geezer, and I like Lateralus the best.

EDIT: You’re going to be young for-ever! Wheeee!
[Reply]
MTG#10 03:53 PM 08-13-2019
Im 40, listened to Undertow throughout most of my teenage/formative years and while awesome its still probably my least favorite.
[Reply]
limested 06:06 PM 08-13-2019
I guess I am old. My favorite album is still Opiate.
[Reply]
MTG#10 05:13 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by limested:
I guess I am old. My favorite album is still Opiate.
Part Of Me still one of my favorite Tool songs
[Reply]
SuperChief 10:01 AM 08-16-2019
Just messing with you all about being old :-)
Goes to show you how influential this band has been over time!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up