ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Media Center>Board Game Fans?
Pitt Gorilla 11:45 PM 11-27-2011
A friend of mine has got me into some "geeky" gaming that has become a real hit at my house. We've been playing Ticket to Ride and Forbidden Island as a family, while my buddy and I have been playing Ascension, Resident Evil, and Dominion.

Are there any other cool board/card games out there that I should check out? I mean, I've seen the spiel des jahres lists, but I'd love some first hand thoughts on cool games.
[Reply]
AustinChief 12:32 AM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Still miss this game from my younger days. The tower broke the second week and we couldn't get a replacement. :-)

http://www.hotflashgames.com/index.p...e.php&gameid=3

Would be bad ass if they made a multiplayer version for your phone or tablet!

They do have an app that emulates Just the Tower if you can find the board or print one out!

https://market.android.com/details?i...mow.droidtower
[Reply]
Buck 05:26 PM 02-06-2012
I'd like to know a fun 2 player game that I can play with my brother. He likes stuff like D&D, so he's a nerd too. He doesn't really play board games though.
[Reply]
NewChief 06:21 PM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by Buck:
I'd like to know a fun 2 player game that I can play with my brother. He likes stuff like D&D, so he's a nerd too. He doesn't really play board games though.
Try Castle Ravenloft. Can play 2 player coop. Lots and lots of different scenarios. Very similar in feel to traditional D&D without character drvelopment and progression.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 06:33 PM 02-06-2012
I play Magic: The Gathering sometimes.
[Reply]
NewChief 09:27 PM 02-06-2012
I should add that if you don't like the Ravenloft flavor (and I don't particularly), there is also Wrath of Ashardlon and a Drizzt game with similar mechanics. I also think you can use them as expansions on each other.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 11:09 PM 05-06-2012
7 Wonders is awesome. I can't get enough of this game. It's not very good for 2 people, but it's perfect for 3 and very solid for 4-7 players. GET THIS GAME.
[Reply]
Buck 11:11 PM 05-06-2012
I just bought Race For The Galaxy.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 11:17 PM 05-06-2012
Originally Posted by Buck:
I just bought Race For The Galaxy.
I think you'll like it.
[Reply]
Buck 11:27 PM 05-06-2012
Yeah I've been looking for a good 2 player game. I used the current Amazon Local Deal to get $25 for $12 on yoyo.com

They sell a bunch of board games if you're interested.
[Reply]
patteeu 10:06 AM 05-07-2012
Will Wheaton, the guy who played Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: TNG, has a new web series about board gaming called Table Top. In the show, he has guests over to play a game of the week and as they play and joke around a little bit, the rules and gameplay are explained.

There are only three episodes so far. In the first, they played a game called Small World and in the second they played Settlers of Catan. I haven't watched the third episode yet, but I understand that it involves 3 mini-games.

I've played Small World and I think that those of you who enjoy games like Settlers of Catan would like it.

It's 2-5 players. You use a different map depending on the number of players so even though I've only played with 3, I think it would work pretty well for 2 players (and I'm sure it would work well for 4 or 5).
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:24 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Will Wheaton, the guy who played Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: TNG, has a new web series about board gaming called Table Top. In the show, he has guests over to play a game of the week and as they play and joke around a little bit, the rules and gameplay are explained.

There are only three episodes so far. In the first, they played a game called Small World and in the second they played Settlers of Catan. I haven't watched the third episode yet, but I understand that it involves 3 mini-games.

I've played Small World and I think that those of you who enjoy games like Settlers of Catan would like it.

It's 2-5 players. You use a different map depending on the number of players so even though I've only played with 3, I think it would work pretty well for 2 players (and I'm sure it would work well for 4 or 5).
This is where I pretend that I haven't seen the first two episodes. I mean, I'm surely not THAT geeky. :-)
[Reply]
NewChief 10:25 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by patteeu:

Wil Wheaton is such a geek hero. If you like his board game stuff, the old Pax Celebrity DnD games are also pretty awesome:

[Reply]
patteeu 10:46 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Wil Wheaton is such a geek hero. If you like his board game stuff, the old Pax Celebrity DnD games are also pretty awesome:

LOL, pretty cool. I've never seen that. You are definitely a super geek!
[Reply]
Aries Walker 10:48 AM 05-07-2012
Dominion is good. Settlers of Catan is really good. Axis and Allies is fantastic.

There's also a game called Cards Against Humanity, (and its expansion), which is described as "Apples for Apples for horrible people," and they mean it. To give you an idea, at one point the card read "Who ate all the cookies in the cookie jar?" to which the winning response was "African children."
[Reply]
patteeu 10:54 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by Aries Walker:
Dominion is good.
Anyone who has an iphone or an ipad (and probably android too) can get the Dominion app for free. It plays just like the real game. You can play with other human players or play solo against one, two, or three computer players.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up