ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>HBO Preparing second Game of Thrones prequel
keg in kc 08:58 PM 09-13-2019
This one's based on the Dance of Dragons (Targaryen Civil War, not the novel...).

Originally Posted by Entertainment Weekly:
HBO is nearing a pilot order for a second Game of Thrones prequel series.

And this one has dragons — lots of dragons.

The network is said to be close to deal for a project that’s based on the history of the Targaryens. EW hears the series would lead up to and eventually chronicle the house’s civil war — a.k.a the legendary Dance of the Dragons.

The project has been a strong contender for an eventual order since HBO commissioned five screenwriters to try their hand at different Game of Thrones prequel ideas back in 2017 in an unusual bake-off effort to replace its departing mega-hit series.

This pilot concept was particularly attractive to saga author George R.R. Martin, who is on board as executive producer. Earlier this year Martin published Fire and Blood, a history of House Targaryen that spans roughly 150 years. The book detailed events that would be covered in this prospective series and is serving as the basis for the show. Yet perfecting the pilot script — now written by Ryan Condal (Colony) — has taken a while, with multiple writers taking swings at it. There’s no title yet for the new series, but Game of Thrones: Fire and Blood would certainly fit.

The Dance of the Dragons was a massive civil war in the Seven Kingdoms held between two rival branches of House Targaryen. The war occurred roughly 200 years before the events in Game of Thrones.
https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/12/game-of...el-targaryens/
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:33 PM 09-13-2019
Well a prequel about the Long Night was pretty much ruined by the main series, so the Dance makes the most sense. I wonder what the budget is looking like, though..
[Reply]
keg in kc 09:44 PM 09-13-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Well a prequel about the Long Night was pretty much ruined by the main series, so the Dance makes the most sense. I wonder what the budget is looking like, though..
They've already finished the pilot for Bloodmoon, their long night prequel. HBO is evidently reviewing it now.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:33 AM 09-14-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
They've already finished the pilot for Bloodmoon, their long night prequel. HBO is evidently reviewing it now.
I'd watch the hell out of it personally, but I do think the anticlimactic end to the new Long Night left a bad taste in a lot of viewer's mouths.

I think their best bet was to go with the Dance of Dragons, Long Night, Blackfyre rebellion, Robert's Rebellion, Aegon's conquest or the Doom of Valyria.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:27 AM 09-14-2019
Make it stop
[Reply]
TambaBerry 11:32 AM 09-14-2019
I want to see Robert fucking people up with his hammer
[Reply]
ThaVirus 11:54 AM 09-14-2019
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I want to see Robert fucking people up with his hammer
I know the show hardly focuses on the fighting, but Robert's Rebellion would give them the best bang for their buck as far as legendary warriors go.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:47 PM 09-14-2019
I guess I'll be curious to see how things things do. I know a ton of people are pretty much done with the whole thing after the way the main show ended.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:43 PM 09-14-2019
I wonder if it will be awesome for the first six seasons and then badly cram four seasons worth of material into the last two seasons because everybody involved gets sick of working on it?

Sadly, there is precedent for that. :-)
[Reply]
vailpass 02:12 PM 09-14-2019
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I want to see Robert ****ing people up with his hammer
X2
[Reply]
bowener 09:27 AM 09-16-2019
HBO fucked up on this. They should have had the new show(s) filmed and ready to go as soon as the GoT series ended. A lot of people will have lost interest in the entire universe by then, and I think people are going to realize quickly that the lore is shallow and the stories will be shit like the last few seasons of GoT.
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:28 AM 09-16-2019
Originally Posted by bowener:
HBO ****ed up on this. They should have had the new show(s) filmed and ready to go as soon as the GoT series ended. A lot of people will have lost interest in the entire universe by then, and I think people are going to realize quickly that the lore is shallow and the stories will be shit like the last few seasons of GoT.
I wouldn't say the lore is shallow. Martin just released a 700-book about the stuff this series will be based on a year or two ago. That's evidently about as entertaining a read as the Silmarillion, but still...it exists.

As far as releasing it earlier as opposed to later, would people really have welcomed a new series after the way DnD ended GoT? And you've got to factor in the potential of fatigue, too, too much of something for too long a time. Nostalgia can develop pretty quickly, and GoT goes from being "that show that just ended that was great and then really fucking sucked, do we really need this?" to "that show from a couple years ago that ended kinda bad, but everybody watched it, so maybe I shouldn't miss this".
[Reply]
KC_Lee 11:26 AM 09-16-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I guess I'll be curious to see how things things do. I know a ton of people are pretty much done with the whole thing after the way the main show ended.
Count me as one of those people. Two rushed final seasons killed my excitement for any prequels or other series set in the GoT world.
[Reply]
Setsuna 11:31 AM 09-16-2019
Yeah I dont care anymore either. Hopefully lack of interest makes GRRM go into isolation and finish his books.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 04:45 PM 09-16-2019
Originally Posted by bowener:
HBO fucked up on this. They should have had the new show(s) filmed and ready to go as soon as the GoT series ended. A lot of people will have lost interest in the entire universe by then, and I think people are going to realize quickly that the lore is shallow and the stories will be shit like the last few seasons of GoT.
Lol dawg, if GoT's lore is shallow, what franchise's isn't?
[Reply]
Up