ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2093 of 3903
« First < 1093159319932043208320892090209120922093 209420952096209721032143219325933093 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
loochy 09:23 AM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Thought Missouri had a lock down order or shelter in place order.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
SIP doesn't mean you cant leave or go do things. It means they recommend you stay home. The business closings made it generally not worthwhile to leave home. There was no actual law or hard and fast rule though.
[Reply]
loochy 09:26 AM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I feel "almost certain" that I would prefer Fauci or any other official to reach 100% certainty before they start throwing out statements like this.
He's almost certainly right though. With the current rates (and not even an explosion) the deaths will pile up even if this thing steadily trails off. Theyre bound to find ones they missed. And don't forget the suicides.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:26 AM 05-17-2020
I feel "almost certain" that I would prefer Fauci or any other official to reach 100% certainty before they start throwing out statements like this.
Meanwhile Dr. Birx is arguing with the CDC about the way things are being tracked. I don't think she is advocating one way or the other but I do know she is saying that there are cases of Covid being listed as cause when it isn't. She and Fauci could both be right.

But yes, to come out without any solid data and say this without very near certainty is hazardous.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:29 AM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
He was asked his opinion and he gave it. Not a big deal to me.
Originally Posted by loochy:
He's almost certainly right though. With the current rates (and not even an explosion) the deaths will pile up even if this thing steadily trails off.
The problem is when stories come out from individuals, be it Dr. Birx or others that there are deaths being counted as Covid when they shouldn't be people want to down play that with "well, we aren't counting some that should be so..."

The two are not mutually exclusive. There are most likely deaths that haven't been counted that should have but it is becoming very evident that there are cases being counted that shouldn't have.

So my problem with Fauci's statement is he takes the position that the 80,000 is accurate to begin with then says it is probably higher.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:32 AM 05-17-2020
Case in point from the article posted earlier:

Originally Posted by :
On Thursday, Colorado reported 1,091 coronavirus deaths under its prior method. But on Friday, the state clarified that 878 people have died as a direct result of COVID-19 infection as of May 9, while another 272 had tested positive but died of other causes as of Friday.
Now, are there cases not being counted that should be? I would suspect so. But again, the 2 are not mutually exclusive.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:34 AM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
He's almost certainly right though. With the current rates (and not even an explosion) the deaths will pile up even if this thing steadily trails off. Theyre bound to find ones they missed. And don't forget the suicides.
My point was someone in his position with his voice during this crisis needs to be careful with what he says. When he says "I think" or "almost certainly", the people hanging on his words for hope and guidance are going to run with it like it's written in stone what he thinks, and that could end up being problematic. Look at Neil Ferguson, for example (extreme comparison, but still).
[Reply]
Bowser 09:36 AM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Then look at underlying increases in mortality rates, subtract COVID deaths, and look at the surplus, which is still astounding. He's correct.
To your point I would love to see a complete breakdown of deaths in this country since the first of the year. That would be a mammoth undertaking to get all those numbers and data together, but I feel it would be quite interesting to see how it all shook out.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:42 AM 05-17-2020
My point was someone in his position with his voice during this crisis needs to be careful with what he says. When he says "I think" or "almost certainly", the people hanging on his words for hope and guidance are going to run with it like it's written in stone what he thinks, and that could end up being problematic. Look at Neil Ferguson, for example (extreme comparison, but still).
That's the problem of people not understanding. That's why studies have confidence intervals and not 100% guarantees. He's saying because he's confident, but not dogmatic.

He's also in a difficult position. People can't digest more than 15 second soundbytes; is it really fair to expect him to explain the rationale behind scientific uncertainty in necessary detail?

But that aside, what problems are going to arise from Fauci saying the death toll is most likely undercounted? It's pretty obvious that a substantial portion of the population isn't listening to consensus epidemiological advice anyway, even when it's been proven to work elsewhere.
[Reply]
vonBobo 09:45 AM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by jaa1025:
The death count is being greatly overstated. Plus, they ended the flu season a month and a half early this year to add those deaths to the COVID count.
Interesting facts.

I'm excited to hear if you have any hot takes on the Loch Ness monster?
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:46 AM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
The problem is when stories come out from individuals, be it Dr. Birx or others that there are deaths being counted as Covid when they shouldn't be people want to down play that with "well, we aren't counting some that should be so..."

The two are not mutually exclusive. There are most likely deaths that haven't been counted that should have but it is becoming very evident that there are cases being counted that shouldn't have.

So my problem with Fauci's statement is he takes the position that the 80,000 is accurate to begin with then says it is probably higher.
Okay but I don't think the opinion that deaths maybe a little bit higher is going to change anything do you? It's interesting to read but overall it's just not like he is calling for reopening of society to be slowed down due to this. So to me it is not a big deal at all.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:46 AM 05-17-2020
To your point I would love to see a complete breakdown of deaths in this country since the first of the year. That would be a mammoth undertaking to get all those numbers and data together, but I feel it would be quite interesting to see how it all shook out.
The NYT did an excellent breakdown of increases in baseline mortality in several areas, including New York City, Lombardy, and other cities. Even when you subtract both definite and probable COVID cases, you end up with a sizable increase of baseline mortality that is not explained by background factors alone.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ng-deaths.html
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:48 AM 05-17-2020
That's the problem of people not understanding. That's why studies have confidence intervals and not 100% guarantees. He's saying because he's confident, but not dogmatic.

He's also in a difficult position. People can't digest more than 15 second soundbytes; is it really fair to expect him to explain the rationale behind scientific uncertainty in necessary detail?

But that aside, what problems are going to arise from Fauci saying the death toll is most likely undercounted? It's pretty obvious that a substantial portion of the population isn't listening to consensus epidemiological advice anyway, even when it's been proven to work elsewhere.
Weren't you just arguing the opposite [elsewhere] in reference to [someone] expressing optimism about some potential usefulness of a drug?

I guess I need to be educated on where people are expected to be smarter and realize that smart people don't have time to explain the caveats and shortcomings of their hypotheses and musings, and when people need to realize that people aren't smart so they need to be very clear and pedantic and assured in their verbiage.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:54 AM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Weren't you just arguing the opposite in reference to [someone] expressing optimism about some potential usefulness of a drug?

I guess I need to be educated on where people are expected to be smarter and realize that smart people don't have time to explain the caveats and shortcomings of their hypotheses and musings, and when people need to realize that people aren't smart so they need to be very clear and pedantic and assured in their verbiage.
Here's a pretty good example to go by: Fauci doesn't have time to discuss the pratfalls of a clinical trial in a press conference in sufficient detail to seal every corner and cover every speck, which is why he uses the phrasing that he does, like "confident" vs. "within the 95% confidence interval," and "anecdotal" vs. "an observational trial with no control group or randomization process."

On a message board, I have more time to discuss things in detail that wouldn't be covered in a press conference.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:54 AM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Okay but I don't think the opinion that deaths maybe a little bit higher is going to change anything do you? It's interesting to read but overall it's just not like he is calling for reopening of society to be slowed down due to this. So to me it is not a big deal at all.
Well that's good for you. The media on the other hand loves to run with this kind of shit.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:59 AM 05-17-2020
Here's a pretty good example to go by: Fauci doesn't have time to discuss the pratfalls of a clinical trial in a press conference in sufficient detail to seal every corner and cover every speck, which is why he uses the phrasing that he does, like "confident" vs. "within the 95% confidence interval," and "anecdotal" vs. "an observational trial with no control group or randomization process."

On a message board, I have more time to discuss things in detail that wouldn't be covered in a press conference.
1. pitfalls.
2. maybe give more individuals than the good doctor the benefit of the presumption of best intent.
[Reply]
Page 2093 of 3903
« First < 1093159319932043208320892090209120922093 209420952096209721032143219325933093 > Last »
Up