ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1234 of 3903
« First < 23473411341184122412301231123212331234 123512361237123812441284133417342234 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Monticore 02:06 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
The pads are poppin in here today. You can tell the lockdown is taking a toll and people are taking it out on eachother lol
Did you not see EDAVE's post it could get ugly in here.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:11 PM 04-08-2020
Not sure this is true. Singapore had been through this before with SARS. It wasnt just the lockdown flattening the curve but also the aggressive tracking of the virus which has helped them.
And yet...

Ultimately I think the tracking/tracing model is extraordinarily noble and I applaud the approach. I'd love it to work.

But I think the invasion of Normandy is probably the most involved and successful combination of logistics and administration ever seen in recorded human history.

And it would be dwarfed by the efforts needed to successfully contact trace anyone who's tested positive. Especially when you want to talk about 'exponential models' of who sees who who sees who. I mean the premise of all this fear was that 1 person who gets infected can expose 10 people who expose 10 more and suddenly that one person yields a needed dragnet of 100 in the span of 3 'generations'. With a 3-5 day incubation period compounded at every F level, aren't you just pushing water uphill? There's no way for that to eventually become overwhelming.

And we conceded that point early one when we said the possibility of exponential spread was inevitable so it was vital to just lock everyone down.

But now we're going to ignore that same math when trying to talk about the efforts needed to successfully trace the contact/behavior of people? Especially those who are potentially dishonest or forgetful?

The idea of a wholesale contact tracing/testing effort being some sort of panacea is folly. Could it bring this back a bit? Probably. But it would still only remain manageable in a situation with extremely tight social isolation measures in place.

Because the trick isn't to fix this for 2-3 weeks and never has been. It's to develop a long-term plan and I just don't see that plan being viable over the needed timeline.
[Reply]
stumppy 02:11 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I never really cared for bacon.
Just go ahead and use the "P" word and get it over with. We all know you want to.
[Reply]
eDave 02:12 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Just go ahead and use the "P" word and get it over with. We all know you want to.
No fatties.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:19 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
That was taken into account in the original model. I know they now claim more people are following social distancing than expected but I can't see how that's accounts for a 20X difference compared to the model. Especially since MO did not order a shelter in place until 2 days ago and been consistently railed for doing the least in terms of social distancing as a state.
In Los Angeles county, which has more than 21 million people, 99.9% of the people here are following the Stay At Home order.

Traffic accidents have been reduced by well more than 50%, crime is down 23% and the air quality is among the best in the world.

If you don't think that Social Distancing and the Stay At Home order are effective, you're not paying attention.
[Reply]
vonBobo 02:21 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
you're forcing everyone onto the same timeline in the hopes that an intervening factor emerges in the interim.
This is false (but still a chance!)

The flattening of the curve and prolonging of the spread is to protect the medical system from being overwhelmed and collapsing.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 02:23 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
In Los Angeles county, which has more than 21 million people, 99.9% of the people here are following the Stay At Home order.

Traffic accidents have been reduced by well more than 50%, crime is down 23% and the air quality is among the best in the world.

If you don't think that Social Distancing and the Stay At Home order are effective, you're not paying attention.
Unemployment claims are also up 40%+ as a result of social distancing mandates.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:25 PM 04-08-2020

Fauci, now so sour on hydroxychloroquine (+/- azithro) for covid19, despite its clinical promise, gushed in 4/2013 when a coronavirus [MERS] antiviral combo [ribavirin /interferon-alpha)] tested “only in cells in lab dishes” prevented viral replication! https://t.co/c9aN1b0nvZ pic.twitter.com/KBTLDUeIUW

— Andrew Bostom (@andrewbostom) April 4, 2020

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:26 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by vonBobo:
This is false (but still a chance!)

The flattening of the curve and prolonging of the spread is to protect the medical system from being overwhelmed and collapsing.
You're describing mitigation efforts that would ultimately be best defined by the proposed modified CDC social distancing guidelines.

What we're doing right now, with attempts at a complete lockdown, is not 'flattening the curve' long-term. It's not mitigation over a meaningful timeline. It's attempted elimination.

What I'm describing is the ultimate effect of a lockdown followed by re-opening of the economy. If you enforce lockdowns to the point of taking most regions at/near 0 when some were at 1, other as 5 and others at 10, then yes, you've forced everyone else back into the same timeline.

It's the racing equivalent of a caution flag that bunches everyone back up. Sure, while the flag is out you've reduced the likelihood of a catastrophic impact. But when the green flag drops and everyone's stuck together again, you've greatly increased the probability of a massive pile-up.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:26 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I am so fucking tired of hearing about that drug
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:27 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Im just saying you can be a little wordy in your responses something you admitted yourself. Do you really think anyone is going to read that longass post? Just some friendly advice
I've never met a lawyer that wasn't verbose :-)
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:27 PM 04-08-2020
I am so ****ing tired of hearing about that drug
no one gives a shit
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:32 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
no one gives a shit
About the drug that doesnt work for this but keeps getting talked about by idiots like you because you are part of a cult like following.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:34 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
For sure. Which is exactly what this virus wants.

This virus thinks. This virus feels. This virus is concerned with self perservation. Which is great because it means we won't ALL die.

Happy Easter.
Is there an Eastertime for the Jews?

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:34 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Unemployment claims are also up 40%+ as a result of social distancing mandates.
You're always ignoring facts and moving the goalposts
[Reply]
Page 1234 of 3903
« First < 23473411341184122412301231123212331234 123512361237123812441284133417342234 > Last »
Up