« First < 409809859899905906907908909 910911912913919 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
tredadda 08:34 AM 08-08-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Great blue chips with those.

My biggest are Paypal, Amazon, Google and United Wholesale Mortgage (UWMC).
I need to check out UWMC. Never heard of them and they might be a good one to add next. Still debating between Campbell Soup, P&G, J&J, or McCormick.
[Reply]
myselff77 08:49 AM 08-08-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
That tells us all we need to know.

I get into the Netflix game late, and I'm actually down a little bit on it.
Netflix was actually one of my first trades after opening an Ameritrade account. Unfortunately I was young and didn't have the money to invest more. Other than really liking Netflix as a subscriber, I was obviously very lucky on that pick.

Another one I've held for a long time is McDonalds. I bought it after the movie Supersize Me tanked the price a bit. I figured there was no way they movie would hold the price down long term. It's performed well, but the mistake I made was McDonalds owned Chipotle at the time. When they split off they gave stock holders the option of keeping the stock all in McDonalds or splitting it and getting shares of Chipotle. I didn't bother splitting it up missing out on a great Chipotle run.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:40 PM 08-08-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
I need to check out UWMC. Never heard of them and they might be a good one to add next. Still debating between Campbell Soup, P&G, J&J, or McCormick.
I've been thinking about divesting myself of JNJ. They're in a continual battle over those talc lawsuits. JNJ was one of the first stocks I ever owned, and I've held it for 30 years with positive but unimpressive results.

I bought some PG about five years ago and it's been solid. Not a moon shot by any means, but a good low-risk return with (Lew, shield your eyes) a nice dividend.
[Reply]
tredadda 12:51 PM 08-08-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I've been thinking about divesting myself of JNJ. They're in a continual battle over those talc lawsuits. JNJ was one of the first stocks I ever owned, and I've held it for 30 years with positive but unimpressive results.

I bought some PG about five years ago and it's been solid. Not a moon shot by any means, but a good low-risk return with (Lew, shield your eyes) a nice dividend.
Appreciate that feedback and that makes sense regarding JNJ. I always thought they were a solid, stable stock. Didn’t really think about those lawsuits, but that could be significant. I feel like my portfolio is too tech heavy and I am trying to see how I can diversify more.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:02 PM 08-08-2023
(checks prospectus of my index funds for the first time in forever)

Apparently it's AAPL with MSFT close behind.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:09 PM 08-08-2023
YieldMax has some new Dividend stocks

NFLY follows netflix
GOOY follows google
AMZY follows Amazon
FBY follows Facebook

Divi's not yet announced
[Reply]
-King- 09:01 AM 08-09-2023
Any thoughts on RIVN and TLRY? Rivian had good earnings (still went down lol) and they're looking more and more like a legit Tesla competitor. Thinking of loading up a bunch of shares. And TLRY has been getting pounded since IPO but just entered the alcohol business buying 8 beers from Anheuser Busch. Could be a real great move for them cornering the vice market lol
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:07 AM 08-09-2023
I’m admittedly not looking to get into the EV market, but I think Rivian still has enormous production and QC problems.

I’d steer clear, but I’m uninformed and potentially biased.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:55 PM 08-09-2023
What HYSAs do y'all recommend?
[Reply]
DaFace 01:02 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Not a ton of differentiation among them IMO. They're savings accounts, so as long as the interest rates have historically been in line with others, it's likely fine.

I'm with Discover at the moment (4.30% APY as of today). Used Capital One back in the day. I've heard good things about Ally.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:37 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Not a ton of differentiation among them IMO. They're savings accounts, so as long as the interest rates have historically been in line with others, it's likely fine.

I'm with Discover at the moment (4.30% APY as of today). Used Capital One back in the day. I've heard good things about Ally.
Ok, thank you. American Express sent me some mail about their HYSA with a nice graphic showing how stupid I am for keeping my money in a money market account gaining something ridiculous like .4% when they’re offering 4%.

I’m actually thinking about opening a Discover credit card so I’ll shop around a bit to see who is offering what..

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think Cap One was running some promos offering a few hundred bucks depending on the amount you deposit as well.
[Reply]
tredadda 01:42 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by -King-:
Any thoughts on RIVN and TLRY? Rivian had good earnings (still went down lol) and they're looking more and more like a legit Tesla competitor. Thinking of loading up a bunch of shares. And TLRY has been getting pounded since IPO but just entered the alcohol business buying 8 beers from Anheuser Busch. Could be a real great move for them cornering the vice market lol
I am not sure about Rivian and if they can pull it off as they seem way behind Tesla and will have an uphill battle against other automakers who are developing EVs. I do think that if they can pull it off, their stock should shoot way up.

I read about TLRY today in the daily email Robinhood sends me. I think that is pretty cool. Interested to see how this pans out.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:09 PM 08-09-2023
I have some Vanguard IRA's so I opened a regular brokerage account through them and put it all in their settlement fund, which is in VMFXX and it is currently yielding 5.38%.

https://investor.vanguard.com/invest.../profile/vmfxx

I was trying to set up some other shit and it turns out my bank has a $20 fee to initiate an ACH. Vanguard initiates the push and pull, so it's free. It takes 2-3 days to clear, but I'm not in and out of savings a lot, so it hasn't been a big deal yet.
[Reply]
Munson 06:22 PM 08-09-2023
Ok, thank you. American Express sent me some mail about their HYSA with a nice graphic showing how stupid I am for keeping my money in a money market account gaining something ridiculous like .4% when they’re offering 4%.

I’m actually thinking about opening a Discover credit card so I’ll shop around a bit to see who is offering what..

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think Cap One was running some promos offering a few hundred bucks depending on the amount you deposit as well.

There are several places where you can get 5% or slightly above.

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/sav...ings-accounts/
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:29 PM 08-09-2023
Soooo I have a question would appreciate ya'll to check my thinking and I'm sure I'll get flamed oh well....

I accepted a new job that pays 25k more than my current job. Only problem is it's about a 20 min drive and I don't have a car.

I've looked at cars my credit is trash and the interest rates blow as you can imagine.

SO I got on with Lyft. They have this program through Hertz where for $300 a week they rent you car. Unlimited miles, insurance is covered through Lyft/Hertz, maintaince as well. Lyft takes that $300 out of what you make + you have to do atheist 20 rides a week. Between my regular job and driving I'd imagine I'll be working at least 55 hours a week.

My plan is do this til I can put down a great down-payment on a car to have a minimal car payment and once I do that ditch the Lyft job.
[Reply]
Page 909 of 934
« First < 409809859899905906907908909 910911912913919 > Last »
Up