ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 18
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Media Center>Netflix: The Witcher
keg in kc 12:08 PM 05-17-2017
Not much in the way of details yet, but it's under development. It's a pretty long series of books, not just a trilogy of games. Don't even know if it's going to be Geralt or someone new in the universe. Whatever it is, something tells me we'll see it sometime in 2018 or early 2019.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:23 PM 11-18-2019
Originally Posted by Clyde Frog:
It just got ported to Switch a month ago. I'm actually stoked so I can play it again when I'm traveling.

I was envisioning a Leisure Suit Larry-esque 3way ::-):
Apparently they have it available on Steam as well, although it still might not work correctly.

It was a fun game. And if you choose the evil path, the ending is absolutely vicious. Like killing puppies vicious. Actually made me feel guilty. :-)
[Reply]
kcpasco 04:20 PM 12-20-2019
Watched the first 3 episodes and absolutely loving it. Critic reviews seem to be mixed but the audience score is great. I’m a huge nerd of the source material though so I could be biased.
[Reply]
kcpasco 04:24 PM 12-20-2019
Episode 3 is awesome. I’m a huge fan of the horror vibe. The critics can suck my ass on this one, great job Netflix.
[Reply]
unlurking 06:34 PM 12-20-2019
Just finished episode 2. Better than I expected. The fight scenes at the end of episode 1 were great, and the bard in episode 2 is surprisingly good. Apparently he plays in a folk band...

[Reply]
keg in kc 06:38 PM 12-20-2019
I didn't think ep 1 was all that great, but they really nailed 2 and 3. Completely hooked.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:16 PM 12-20-2019
Just finished the first episode. This is fucking great! :-)

Hell, Cavill even sounds like the guy who voices Geralt in the game. Well, close enough.
[Reply]
keg in kc 09:12 PM 12-20-2019
I skimmed a few reviews for shits and giggles to try and figure out where the critic/viewer disconnect lies, and it looks like it's a bunch of younger critics who aren't fans of genre complaining that the show is too long. One was, almost literally, 'I've never read the books or played the games, I hate all the fantasy exposition, there's too many characters, nothing is dumbed down so I can understand it, and I quit watching after a half hour.'

It boggles the mind. Viewer reviews, on the other hand, seem overwhelmingly positive.

Comparing this to the most recent show with similar subject matter, Carnival Row on Prime (which I enjoyed...) and The Witcher is far and away a better program in every conceivable way.

I do get, however, how the jumping around in the narrative could be confusing to some people, but it's really not that hard to tell what's happening when in the timeline of the show. But they definitely didn't dumb it down. Which is fine by me, it's nice to see a show respect the intelligence of its audience for a change.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:08 PM 12-20-2019
Do.... not... like... Netflix Triss. I miss redhead Triss from the game, dammit! :-):-):-):-)

:-)
[Reply]
kcpasco 11:43 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Do.... not... like... Netflix Triss. I miss redhead Triss from the game, dammit! :-):-):-):-)

:-)
I can look past it. Didn’t care for Triss that much anyways since I’m a Yen fan.
[Reply]
FlintHillsChiefs 04:57 AM 12-21-2019
The season finale was fantastic. I've always been a Triss guy in the games, but I can see why Yen means so much to Geralt now.

My problem is the best ending in Witcher 3 is letting Ciri become Emperess of Nilfgaard and I really have a hard time thinking Geralt and Yennefer would go along with that.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 09:43 AM 12-21-2019
Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs:
The season finale was fantastic. I've always been a Triss guy in the games, but I can see why Yen means so much to Geralt now.

My problem is the best ending in Witcher 3 is letting Ciri become Emperess of Nilfgaard and I really have a hard time thinking Geralt and Yennefer would go along with that.

Yeah, no.

Best ending is Ciri becomes a Witcher with Geralt after he gifts her a new silver sword.
[Reply]
Fish 11:10 AM 12-21-2019
So....

Spoiler!

[Reply]
keg in kc 03:12 PM 12-21-2019
So I went in expecting that to suck like a new version of Legend of the Seeker with a movie star lead and crazy expensive cgi, but it was actually pretty good all the way through. It's definitely unforgiving for people unfamiliar with the lore, jumping all over the place between characters and time periods, etc, but once I understood how they were presenting the narrative it was pretty easy to follow. And pretty unique for a TV series.

I also think it was both interesting and a good call to split the focus of the season with Ciri and Yennifer, and not just Geralt. It may have been called 'The Witcher', but there were clearly three main characters. In the end it was basically a prequel season, with the real shit starting in 2021. And they can pretty much just move forward in earnest, as we've met most of the people involved, and have completely and clearly established the history and motivations for the three leads.

I think there's real potential, that they may have set the foundation for something really good.
[Reply]
007 09:09 AM 12-22-2019
I guess the viewer is expected to already know the source material. No real character building in the first episode. Not sure if I want to invest more time in it because of that.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:47 AM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by 007:
I guess the viewer is expected to already know the source material. No real character building in the first episode. Not sure if I want to invest more time in it because of that.
It definitely helps. I've never read the books, but after playing the games I mostly know what's going on. Although I'm still confused by some of it.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 18
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up