ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 63
« First < 678910 111213142060 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Story: Han Solo Movie 2018 Spoiler Thread
DaneMcCloud 04:17 PM 10-21-2016
http://www.starwars.com/news/donald-...and-alone-film

Donald Glover is officially a young Lando Calrissian!

Lucasfilm announced today that Donald Glover, an acclaimed actor, award-winning writer, and Grammy-nominated artist, will be playing the part of Lando Calrissian in the still-untitled Han Solo Star Wars film, helmed by directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Glover will join Alden Ehrenreich — previously cast as Han Solo — in bringing two iconic Star Wars characters back to the big screen, but at a time in their lives previously unexplored. This new film depicts Lando in his formative years as a scoundrel on the rise in the galaxy’s underworld — years before the events involving Han, Leia, and Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back and his rise to Rebel hero in Return of the Jedi.

“We’re so lucky to have an artist as talented as Donald join us,” said Lord and Miller. “These are big shoes to fill, and an even bigger cape, and this one fits him perfectly, which will save us money on alterations. Also, we’d like to publicly apologize to Donald for ruining Comic-Con for him forever.”

Glover is best known for creating and starring in the critically acclaimed FX series Atlanta (which had the highest premiere numbers for any basic cable comedy show since 2013), as well as for starring in four seasons of the show Community, and for his Grammy-nominated album Because the Internet, performed under the name Childish Gambino. In addition, Glover appeared in the Academy Award-nominated The Martian, and will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming.

The untitled Han Solo movie is set for release in 2018.

[Reply]
Frazod 11:28 PM 06-26-2017
Originally Posted by 007:
Spoiler that shit man. I might play it one day. :-)
It's been out for 14 years, dude. :-)
[Reply]
patteeu 05:43 AM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by 007:
Spoiler that shit man. I might play it one day. :-)
Pssst. Shane leaves the kid and his mother in the end.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:49 AM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Pssst. Shane leaves the kid and his mother in the end.
You bastard! :-)
[Reply]
SAGA45 09:58 PM 06-27-2017
why didn't they cast this guy?

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:16 PM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by SAGA45:
why didn't they cast this guy?
Because he can't act?

If Disney, the biggest entertainment company in the world doesn't even give the kid a chance, then that's good enough for me.

From my understanding, he wasn't even in the top 500.

Copying someone and portraying a character is completely different.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:28 PM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Because he can't act?

If Disney, the biggest entertainment company in the world doesn't even give the kid a chance, then that's good enough for me.

He's acting as well as Ford did in Star Wars. :-)

And damn, he looks just like him.
[Reply]
SAGA45 10:44 PM 06-27-2017
Because he can't act?

So they couldn't hire him an acting coach like they did for the guy they actually casted who looks more like the short bearded dude from Revenge of the Nerds?
[Reply]
SAGA45 10:45 PM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:

Exactly!
[Reply]
Messier 11:12 PM 06-27-2017

He's mimicking Ford. There's a big difference between what Ford did to create a character and someone doing an impression of that character. They clearly want to capture an essence of a character instead of trying to copy Ford. Glover is nothing like Billy Dee Williams, yet I think it's a nice choice. Having someone do a Harrison Ford impression would be interesting for 5 minutes, then he better find a way to make the character his own or he's screwed.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:15 PM 06-27-2017

I don't disagree.

Harrison Ford was a goof in American Graffiti and Star Wars, yet took a huge leap forward in the Force Ten from Navarone The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It was a stunning transformation.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:17 PM 06-27-2017
So they couldn't hire him an acting coach like they did for the guy they actually casted who looks more like the short bearded dude from Revenge of the Nerds?
Originally Posted by Messier:
He's mimicking Ford. There's a big difference between what Ford did to create a character and someone doing an impression of that character. They clearly want to capture an essence of a character instead of trying to copy Ford.

Glover is nothing like Billy Dee Williams, yet I think it's a nice choice. Having someone do a Harrison Ford impression would be interesting for 5 minutes, then he better find a way to make the character his own or he's screwed.
Messier is spot on.

Hiring a look-a-like and sound-a-like is appros of nothing.

If Ehrenreich captures the essence of Han Solo, everyone will be stoked.

That's the rub.

If he doesn't, the movie fails, spectacularly.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:26 PM 06-27-2017
Messier is spot on.

Hiring a look-a-like and sound-a-like is appros of nothing.

If Ehrenreich captures the essence of Han Solo, everyone will be stoked.

That's the rub.

If he doesn't, the movie fails, spectacularly.
If imitation led to a sure success, Superman Returns would be regarded as a classic.
[Reply]
SAGA45 12:00 AM 06-28-2017
Originally Posted by Messier:
He's mimicking Ford. There's a big difference between what Ford did to create a character and someone doing an impression of that character. They clearly want to capture an essence of a character instead of trying to copy Ford. Glover is nothing like Billy Dee Williams, yet I think it's a nice choice. Having someone do a Harrison Ford impression would be interesting for 5 minutes, then he better find a way to make the character his own or he's screwed.
That's true. Good points. Like Ledger capturing the essence of the Joker vs imitating Nicholson's version.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:29 AM 06-28-2017
That's true. Good points. Like Ledger capturing the essence of the Joker vs imitating Nicholson's version.
That's a bit different, as there have been multiple actors that have portrayed comic book heroes and villains.
[Reply]
SAGA45 07:02 AM 06-28-2017
The other difference is they clearly aren't happy with the guy they actually chose to play solo. Getting him help is admitting they may have miscast the guy, no?

Also, Ford's Solo is all there is. As far as SW fans are concerned...Ingruber wouldn't be imitating Ford...he'd simply be a young Solo...which is what we want here, correct?

I mean, I completely get what you guys are saying the "essence" of the character. It's just that apparently the guy they picked isnt cutting it
[Reply]
Page 10 of 63
« First < 678910 111213142060 > Last »
Up