ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>New Build Trouble
allen_kcCard 08:58 PM 01-31-2020
Tonight I finally got my 18 year old to finish getting the parts for his PC build that has been in progress for some time now, and then when we added in the GPU and a pcie wifi adapter all the sudden the damn thing wont run post.

Before today with just the mobo, power supply, RAM, CPU and cooling system connected with an M2 SSD in place, we could do a test to make sure everything connected and we had all the RGB lights come on for the motherboard and fans were running. But once we added the two new components mentioned above, when we powered it on the RGB lights came on for a moment and then went out, and we didn't see if the fans spun up in that moment before it went dark.

Any suggestions on what to try next to see what went wrong and if anything is damaged? First thing I did was take back out the GPU and wifi adapter that we added and re-check all the other connections, but that didn't help.

Possible problem I saw was that for the two GPU power connections one of the cords was a PCIE with the 8 pins and one of them being a blank slot, but the other cord was marked CPU and had all 8 pins in place. The only other thing I could think of is the video cable that was connected was close enough to part of the slot rails that it could have been grounding to the case, but there was nothing that seemed like an audible short.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 06:00 PM 02-01-2020
Can't hurt, and for $14 I'll give it a whirl.

PS being the problem will be easiest, problem is I bought the damn thing a year ago and it sat until now waiting for the other parts so not sure I could get any kind of a replacement out of them if it turns out to be the problem.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 06:17 PM 02-01-2020
Originally Posted by allen_kcCard:

PS being the problem will be easiest, problem is I bought the damn thing a year ago and it sat until now waiting for the other parts so not sure I could get any kind of a replacement out of them if it turns out to be the problem.
There is a Microcenter in Overland Park. You could pick up a basic PSU and test it. If things come back to life you know the problem. If they don't then the PSU can simply go back to Microcenter.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 06:20 PM 02-01-2020
unethical life pro tip - Microcenter has the motherboard in stock. If it isn't the PSU but instead the motherboard gave up on life you could pick it up there and simply return the bad one.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:55 PM 02-01-2020

And you learned a good lesson. Don't buy it in parts. Get it all at once because DoA is more common then you'd like.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 12:31 PM 02-04-2020
Got the power supply tester delivery yesterday and it is dead as a doornail. No idea how it could have fizzled out...I've seen/heard/smelled enough electrical shorts that I don't believe that happened here. We will see about a replacement.
[Reply]
jd1020 04:08 PM 02-04-2020
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
And you learned a good lesson. Don't buy it in parts. Get it all at once because DoA is more common then you'd like.
A case is about the only thing I'll buy long before I plan on using it. Everything else I'll piece together if and only if I can test it in a previous build like a PSU, GPU, SSD's, fans, coolers, etc. The motherboard, CPU, and RAM I buy all at once because thats the only shit I cant confirm works within the return window.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 10:46 AM 02-11-2020
Power supply was the culprit. Got a replacement and everything worked just fine.

Crappy part was that MicroCenter doesn't carry the dead one any more, so no options to go through them. I may try to deal with g.skill directly, but I'm guessing they will say tough luck since it was a year before I tried to use it.

Didn't plan on waiting that long to put the parts all together, it was hard to get my son to get past the daunting process of looking at what parts he wanted to commit to.

Thanks for the help all.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:45 AM 02-11-2020
Power supply was the culprit.
I find that it most often is.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 01:46 PM 02-11-2020
Power supply was the culprit. Got a replacement and everything worked just fine.

Crappy part was that MicroCenter doesn't carry the dead one any more, so no options to go through them. I may try to deal with g.skill directly, but I'm guessing they will say tough luck since it was a year before I tried to use it.

Didn't plan on waiting that long to put the parts all together, it was hard to get my son to get past the daunting process of looking at what parts he wanted to commit to.

Thanks for the help all.
You're PSU has a 7 year limited warranty. Gskill should replace the defective part with zero push back. Absolutely contact them. The part is no longer manufactured so be prepared to get a refurb or an equal product that is new. I would push for equal but new.

https://www.gskill.com/specification...-Specification
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up