ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 360 of 3903
« First < 260310350356357358359360 3613623633643704104608601360 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
fan4ever 10:19 AM 03-17-2020
Link to an interesting article about a couple of drugs that are being tested with some success. There's an interesting YouTube on it as well.

On a personal note, I use Zicam when I'm coming down with something (the lozenges, not the pills). The Zinc keeps influenza from absorbing into your throat and respiratory tract as successfully. This is being offered up by some people as a prophylactic to covid-19. I'm going to try it.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv..._KXCUCLLhDlgHE
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:20 AM 03-17-2020
BREAKING: The Mall of America is closing at 5 p.m. today through at least March 31.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:22 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
Link to an interesting article about a couple of drugs that are being tested with some success. There's an interesting YouTube on it as well.

On a personal note, I use Zicam when I'm coming down with something (the lozenges, not the pills). The Zinc keeps influenza from absorbing into your throat and respiratory tract as successfully. This is being offered up by some people as a prophylactic to covid-19. I'm going to try it.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv..._KXCUCLLhDlgHE
Based on my experience, zinc works wonders. My GF had the flu, she was out for the count for 4 days. I loaded up on zinc for 4 days. My flu-like symptoms only lasted about 24 hrs to 36 hrs.

Maybe it's placebo. I don't know. Maybe my immune system is just stronger than normal and zinc has nothing to do with it. But that is my experience.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 10:24 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Except for when I said "just carrying on with your daily life like nothing is happening will get you shot in the chest instead of the back. This is here, things are different, act like it."

Of course I have said that there are people who are being irresponsible and selfish. There are ALWAYS people who are irresponsible and selfish. Everywhere. The answer for that is the same as it is for everyone that's being an asshole, you publicly shame them until they stop. And frankly, that requires public buy in. And if you want to lose that buy-in, just keep getting more and more extreme for longer and longer. See where that takes you.

But no, for a disease that will leave 80% of the infected unharmed (and thus likely 90% of the population), I'm not going to say "extreme measures must be taken" and start talking about putting troops on American soil to enforce federal mandates. That's batshit insane and its born of the very "well it's simply impossible for us to overreact" mindset that has taken over for far too many people.
I think if your Grandparents or parents died from this virus you might have a different viewpoint.

Even if most are unharmed with how big the population of USA is if it continues to spread it will overwhelm our healthcare system. Maybe you don't think that's a big deal in response I really don't know what to say.
[Reply]
gblowfish 10:24 AM 03-17-2020

[Reply]
MagicHef 10:29 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Why did Hubei get hit so much harder than the rest of China? The lockdown they implemented was just Hubei, I believe.
Probably could have worded this better. My real question is why is China, outside of Hubei, doing so well? 1.35 billion people, right next to the outbreak source, and they have fewer deaths than France.
[Reply]
fan4ever 10:30 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Based on my experience, zinc works wonders. My GF had the flu, she was out for the count for 4 days. I loaded up on zinc for 4 days. My flu-like symptoms only lasted about 24 hrs to 36 hrs.

Maybe it's placebo. I don't know. Maybe my immune system is just stronger than normal and zinc has nothing to do with it. But that is my experience.
Unlike a lot of nontraditional remedies it's clinically proven. I'm going to the store in a few hours; it'll be interesting to see if there's been a run on the stuff.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 10:33 AM 03-17-2020
Props to DJLN being one of the few voices of sanity and realism in this thread.
[Reply]
R Clark 10:35 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0310164744.htm

Median 5.1
Probably could have worded this better. My real question is why is China, outside of Hubei, doing so well? 1.35 billion people, right next to the outbreak source, and they have fewer deaths than France.
Perhaps they aren’t truthful with the numbers
[Reply]
Bugeater 10:35 AM 03-17-2020
Maybe they're not disclosing what is really going on there? :-)
[Reply]
Raiderhater 10:36 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by R Clark:
Perhaps they aren’t truthful with the numbers
Communists lie? Surely you jest!
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 10:36 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
Props to DJLN being one of the few voices of sanity and realism in this thread.
I think our President and many of the Governors who have more information than any of us could ever hope to have on the subject would disagree.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:39 AM 03-17-2020
JoCo reporting 10 confirmed cases.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 10:40 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I think our President and many of the Governors who have more information than any of us could ever hope to have on the subject would disagree.
Yeah, because politicians are soooo trustworthy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:41 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I think if your Grandparents or parents died from this virus you might have a different viewpoint.

Even if most are unharmed with how big the population of USA is if it continues to spread it will overwhelm our healthcare system. Maybe you don't think that's a big deal in response I really don't know what to say.
And if your mom gets shot in a robbery they won't let you on the perpetrator's jury.

You don't advocate policy positions from personal loss or hardship. You have to maintain your cool, understand all consequences and work from there.

And 'our healthcare system' is not national. It's local. So long as the spread continues to behave here as it's behaved everywhere, it won't be a national immediate outbreak. It will continue to be a series of localized outbreaks that will need to be dealt with on a localized basis. SF having its hand full right now does NOTHING to impact capacity in Columbia, MO. And when it gets here, it's not going to be hospital beds in SF that determine the outcomes in Columbia.

So effectuating an immediate national lockdown and putting the clamps on thousands of communities that have not been in any way impacted by it right now will immediately start the 'fuck this' clock and you'll be burning time, good will and buy-in for no reason in those communities. Then if/when it DOES get there, you have a populace of frayed, exhausted, fiscally and emotionally drained people who are simply done. They'll you'll still have your hospital collapse followed by a local populace that no longer has the buy-in or wherewithal to be as responsible as they'd have otherwise been.

This has to continue to be dealt with on a localized basis. These responses have to continue to be tailored. Surgery with a shotgun is the LAST thing we need.
[Reply]
Page 360 of 3903
« First < 260310350356357358359360 3613623633643704104608601360 > Last »
Up