ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 17
« First < 61213141516 17 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Andy Reid isnt the coach we need.
Reerun_KC 06:32 PM 12-07-2014
CP loves to treat the symptom while at times ignoring the disease.

Since everyone wants to be cool and bash the lame ass QB we have, we might want to look just a little deeper and discuss the HC that hand selected him to be the QB of this team.

We aren't going anywhere with Reid's preparations and game plans. His play calling is pathetic and predictable. His tendency's to remove the WRs from the game plan is inexcusable.

Until we get rid of Reid, we are stuck with Smith...
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 02:25 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
UPDATED:

Andy Reid's record without Jim Johnson as his defensive coordinator: 111-66 (.627) in the regular season, 5-7 in the playoffs (.416). Since Discuss made this post in 2014, he is 5-4 (.555) in the playoffs.

He has also won a Super Bowl, which he did while coaching the Kansas City Chiefs. They are my favorite football team.
Holy FUCK!

The Kansas City Chiefs are MY favorite football team too!!!
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:30 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
This is the 'microaggressions' of football fandom.

The Chiefs are so damn good that people like Chiefzilla need to find WINS to complain about. Because they were "unnecessarily close".

When life's too easy, you just make shit up to bitch about.
Oh good lord, it is one aspect of Reid's game I've been critical about. I've been effusive in praise otherwise. We can like and respect the hell out of a coach while acknowledging nobody's perfect.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:33 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Oh good lord, it is one aspect of Reid's game I've been critical about. I've been effusive in praise otherwise. We can like and respect the hell out of a coach while acknowledging nobody's perfect.
You cited 4 wins.

Like I said - guy wins so much you're just looking for things to complain about. I said it in '18 when we first had this conversation.

He doesn't win by enough so you grouse.

Remarkable.
[Reply]
Lzen 02:50 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Sorry, but it wasn't just the switch to the WCO. Montana forced a philosophical change as well.

I can still remember that game in the playoffs, when we were down late in the game and didn't convert a 3rd down. Marty immediately signaled for the punting team. Montana ran over and argued with Marty for about 5 seconds, after which Marty thew up his hands and basically said 'okay let's go for it.' Montana ran back onto the field and easily converted that 4th down, and the rest is history.

Marty never would've gone for that 4th down conversion with any other QB except for his total respect for Montana.
Fair enough. I have always said that a great QB can make an above average/good coach great and vice versa. Look at all the great head coaches throughout history and damn near every one of them had a good/great QB. That was Marty's biggest problem throughout his tenure in KC. He never had that great QB with the exception of Montana in the twilight of his career.
[Reply]
Lzen 02:53 PM 09-17-2020
The mile high miracle.

Montana has Davis I think starting his break (would've been open) when Davis slips and falls. Montana immediately processes what is happening, pulls the ball down and in one motion turns and throws an outlet to Keith Cash to pick up some vital yards, move the sticks and keep things going.

That was my awakening to how vital a QB is in late-game situations. So very few QBs have the presence to notice that stumble, pull the ball down, know where everyone on the field is and get him the ball. Alex either throws it anyway (though he MIGHT have gone ahead and thrown it out the back of the end zone) or he'd have tucked it and run up the middle, gaining a handful of yards and bleeding the clock white. And Alex wasn't even bad - he was just average.

But a great QB makes chicken salad and maintains a chance to win.
90% chance Alex runs in that situation.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:55 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Fair enough. I have always said that a great QB can make an above average/good coach great and vice versa. Look at all the great head coaches throughout history and damn near every one of them had a good/great QB. That was Marty's biggest problem throughout his tenure in KC. He never had that great QB with the exception of Montana in the twilight of his career.
Montana was better than I remember in KC.

I watched a few of the old game videos of him - he didn't have a cannon but his arm had more life in it than I recalled.

If you'd have asked me prior to that I'd have said he was just a wobble launcher who always knew where to go with the football (kinda like Drew Brees now), but when he had time/space he could put some zip on the ball still.

Pretty impressive for a dude his age with his build and a history of back issues.

I've always kinda hand-waived the folks that said we could've come back in that Buffalo game but/for the concussion, but I think my memory of him had just failed me. He had more life in his arm than I'd remembered. With his understanding of defenses, yeah - he really could've brought 'em back.
[Reply]
Lzen 03:01 PM 09-17-2020
Montana was better than I remember in KC.

I watched a few of the old game videos of him - he didn't have a cannon but his arm had more life in it than I recalled.

If you'd have asked me prior to that I'd have said he was just a wobble launcher who always knew where to go with the football (kinda like Drew Brees now), but when he had time/space he could put some zip on the ball still.

Pretty impressive for a dude his age with his build and a history of back issues.

I've always kinda hand-waived the folks that said we could've come back in that Buffalo game but/for the concussion, but I think my memory of him had just failed me. He had more life in his arm than I'd remembered. With his understanding of defenses, yeah - he really could've brought 'em back.
I am one of those people that believe Montana would have won at Buffalo if not for the concussion. He was a winner. He was a gamer. Nothing got him down. He never felt that he couldn't overcome whatever the game situation. He never panicked.

A lot of those same qualities are present in our current young star. Man, it's great to be a Chiefs fan right now. :-)
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 03:06 PM 09-17-2020
You cited 4 wins.

Like I said - guy wins so much you're just looking for things to complain about. I said it in '18 when we first had this conversation.

He doesn't win by enough so you grouse.

Remarkable.
At the time we were talking about a coach who won a lot of regular season games but couldn't seal the deal in the playoffs. A guy who blew 2 playoff games in historic fashion. Coaching for a franchise that had been losing in epic fashion for decades. That's silly to suggest at that time it was spoiled to pick at a coach just because he won some games. I love the guy but have been critical of one aspect of his game I felt needed improvement. One. I stand by that. At least I'm being honest where a lot of people are silent after calling for his head after Tennessee and New England, or as if people having been picking at every game management decision.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:07 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I am one of those people that believe Montana would have won at Buffalo if not for the concussion. He was a winner. He was a gamer. Nothing got him down. He never felt that he couldn't overcome whatever the game situation. He never panicked
I hate to disagree with you guys but Montana was awful during the 1993 AFC Championship. He was sacked twice, threw an INT and had a stat line of 9 for 23 for a 125 yards, good for a 39.2 Passer Rating. The Chiefs scored only 6 points before Montana went out with a concussion.

That Buffalo defense was just awesome, with Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, my old buddy Jeff Wright and couple of well above average linebackers in Marvcus Patton and Daryl Talley.

I just don't think Montana would have been able to turn the team around and score enough points to win but we'll never know...
[Reply]
RunKC 03:11 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
UPDATED:

Andy Reid's record without Jim Johnson as his defensive coordinator: 111-66 (.627) in the regular season, 5-7 in the playoffs (.416). Since Discuss made this post in 2014, Reid is 5-4 (.555) in the playoffs.

He has also won a Super Bowl, which he did while coaching the Kansas City Chiefs. They are my favorite football team.
Spags is Andy’s new Jimmy Johnson. He’s been searching for years and he’s finally got a very good DC.

The best part is I don’t see Spags leaving. He’s gonna be here for as long as Andy is.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:15 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I hate to disagree with you guys but Montana was awful during the 1993 AFC Championship. He was sacked twice, threw an INT and had a stat line of 9 for 23 for a 125 yards, good for a 39.2 Passer Rating. The Chiefs scored only 6 points before Montana went out with a concussion.

That Buffalo defense was just awesome, with Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, my old buddy Jeff Wright and couple of well above average linebackers in Marvcus Patton and Daryl Talley.

I just don't think Montana would have been able to turn the team around and score enough points to win but we'll never know...
I'd have to re-watch that game specifically. The stats do not paint a pretty picture, that's for sure.

But sometimes that's what makes the legends. Like I said in some thread 'round here yesterday, shooters shoot and greatness eventually finds its level.

You're probably right. And like I said - I've typically dismissed the idea out of hand (partially because I remember sitting in my room at 12 yrs old thinking "jesus - why does Montana suck so bad?"), but was open to reconsidering it seeing some of those plays where the offense was a little more open than I recall and Montana was showing more life outside the hashes than I could remember.

It's funny - as stolid and unimaginative as I think of offenses throughout the 90s, especially with Marty, when Montana was at the wheel there were a lot more 3 and 4 receiver sets than I recalled. Lots of 22 personnel as well. It wasn't quite the halfback, fullback, 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense I remembered.

I kinda wonder if I haven't lumped all my early years of Chiefs fandom into a single iteration of the squad.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:18 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
At the time we were talking about a coach who won a lot of regular season games but couldn't seal the deal in the playoffs. A guy who blew 2 playoff games in historic fashion. Coaching for a franchise that had been losing in epic fashion for decades. That's silly to suggest at that time it was spoiled to pick at a coach just because he won some games. I love the guy but have been critical of one aspect of his game I felt needed improvement. One. I stand by that. At least I'm being honest where a lot of people are silent after calling for his head after Tennessee and New England, or as if people having been picking at every game management decision.
And I've done detailed breakdowns of why those people were stupid to complain about the TN and NE losses as well, especially for the REASONS they complain about them. I ain't one of those people so I have no compunction in pointing out how inane their complaints were.

And I've pointed out that the other of those 2 'historic' losses you're citing came precisely because Andy Reid DIDN'T do the thing you're saying he shouldn't be doing. He followed your blueprint and lost. So of course you complain about THAT as well.

You've been critical - and you've been wrong.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:34 PM 09-17-2020
I'd have to re-watch that game specifically. The stats do not paint a pretty picture, that's for sure.
By January 1994, I'd been living in Los Angeles for nearly a full year but took a quick trip to KC over MLK weekend. A few of my closest friends got together at a buddy's condo to watch the Chiefs-Oilers game, which was a complete and utter shock because Montana just dominated the second half of the game by scoring 4 TD's - we're talking Pat Mahomes II kind of domination.

The next day, the Northridge earthquake hit and I didn't get back to Hollywood until the following Thursday. I just didn't have a good feeling about the Chiefs against the Bills, especially in Buffalo, because their defense was just tits and matched up really well against the Chiefs.

I just remember shaking my head at Dave Krieg's performance. I still don't understand why that guy was on the Chiefs roster but I guess it had to do with the lack of QB's back then, which was truly an abysmal time for all but a few QB, but the defense was deflated as well and gave up 10 more points in the 4th.

It just wasn't the Chiefs day.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:38 PM 09-17-2020
The Chiefs COULD have come back in that game if Kimble Anders had not dropped a sure touchdown, which turned into an INT, right before halftime.

It was 20-6 at halftime, instead of 20-13, because of fucking Kimble Anders.

Watch at 1:10 mark.

Then Joe got his noggin wrecked and it was over. They were as close as 7 points in the second half despite that awful drop and Joe's braining.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:56 PM 09-17-2020
Thx for posting the video.

Thing is, Montana was having a pretty good drive before the half before Anders inexplicably muffed that catch in the EZ.

And Joe was moving the offense down the field before he got hurt. It's not like the Bills D had him completely stymied. Joe was figuring things out and making some plays.

Of course we'll never know, but as I remembered it, we had a chance, though a small one, to come back in that game, and that was because of Joe Cool.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 17
« First < 61213141516 17 >
Up