ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 129 of 301
« First < 2979119125126127128129 130131132133139179229 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2019 Kansas City Royals Repository ***
Mama Hip Rockets 08:06 AM 03-28-2019
Get the offseason thread out of here. It's on!

Opening day roster:

Catchers (2): Cam Gallagher, Martin Maldonado

Infielders (7): Hunter Dozier, Lucas Duda, Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, Ryan O’Hearn, Chris Owings, Frank Schwindel

Outfielders (4): Alex Gordon, Terrance Gore, Billy Hamilton, Jorge Soler

Starting pitchers (3): Jakob Junis, Brad Keller, Jorge Lopez

Relief pitchers (9): Scott Barlow, Brad Boxberger, Jake Diekman, Chris Ellis, Tim Hill, Ian Kennedy, Kevin McCarthy, Wily Peralta, Kyle Zimmer

Injured list: Danny Duffy, Brian Flynn, Jesse Hahn, Salvador Perez

Suspended: Eric Skoglund
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 07:02 AM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Nicky 4-39 skid
This is where he needs to learn how to adjust midseason. The scouts figured something out with him and the opposing pitchers have adjusted, he needs to do in kind. We about to learn if he's a keeper.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:40 AM 06-05-2019
After reading more about Brady McConnell, I think the reasoning there was to get in early on him, as someone who could rocket up draft boards in another year.

His power and speed combo is intriguing. They need to develop his bat, which this development program hasn’t been great at doing. He missed most of his freshman year with an injury, so he’s still young in terms of development.

It’s a big risk but has substantial reward opportunity.

Lot of college pitching. I’ve no problem with that considering how well the team seems to have done with the college kids it nabbed last year (beyond the first four, guys like Bowlen, Haake, Heasely are all showing out).

The Oregon State guy might have been a buy low due to injury. Intriguing. Was better at times than the third round pick from Arizona State, who I like.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:53 AM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
After reading more about Brady McConnell, I think the reasoning there was to get in early on him, as someone who could rocket up draft boards in another year.

His power and speed combo is intriguing. They need to develop his bat, which this development program hasn’t been great at doing. He missed most of his freshman year with an injury, so he’s still young in terms of development.

It’s a big risk but has substantial reward opportunity.

Lot of college pitching. I’ve no problem with that considering how well the team seems to have done with the college kids it nabbed last year (beyond the first four, guys like Bowlen, Haake, Heasely are all showing out).

The Oregon State guy might have been a buy low due to injury. Intriguing. Was better at times than the third round pick from Arizona State, who I like.
So we know the minor leagues for KC have had a real problem developing players. The question is, should we be looking for them to do something about it? You'd think bringing in a number of new coaches and minds or implementing a new system of some sort would have to be in the works.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:31 AM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
So we know the minor leagues for KC have had a real problem developing players. The question is, should we be looking for them to do something about it? You'd think bringing in a number of new coaches and minds or implementing a new system of some sort would have to be in the works.

They’ve rotated out the pitching and hitting coordinators a few times. These are the people who set the overall philosophy of coaching and development for the minor league coaches. Believe this is the first year for the new hitting coordinator, as the previous guy is on the major league staff now.

I think they have a real problem with something at High-A. Don’t know if that’s overall philosophy or the coach there or what.

They’ve shifted gears a lot on the pitching side of the house. They used to try to turn all slider guys into curveball guys instead but have moved off of that.

They still are anti-long toss. Which is dumb.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:36 AM 06-05-2019
Some interesting tidbits about the Royals draft...

Between this year and last year, the Royals had 20 draft picks in the first 8 rounds of each draft.

They took Bobby Witt Jr, and 19 college players.

If they’re right, that’s one way to speed up the rebuild. But they have to be right.

— Rany Jazayerli (@jazayerli) June 4, 2019

One more thing: through 8 rounds and 9 picks, the Royals haven’t drafted a single player who ranked higher on Baseball America’s draft rankings than the pick he was selected at.

The Royals may know what they’re doing. But if not, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I’d be more psyched for this draft strategy if it wasn’t for the fact that over two-thirds of the players taken on Day One were college players. When everyone else zigs, you should zag. So far the Royals aren’t. https://t.co/a0t4VoHp1G

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:47 AM 06-05-2019
Really weird draft for KC.

McConnell and Witt are the only real “upside” guys they’ve selected so far.

They’ve got a handful of college pitchers who could be useful back-end starters or relievers, but none of the rest of this looks very Royals-y.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:08 PM 06-05-2019

They’ve got a handful of college pitchers who could be useful back-end starters or relievers, but none of the rest of this looks very Royals-y.
Is it possible because they are having issues with flameouts and a system that still is pretty slim that they are just trying to pick dudes who are solid instead of going boom or bust?

I mean I have no idea on the strategy and their draft record isn't exactly sparkling as of late so who knows.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:40 PM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Is it possible because they are having issues with flameouts and a system that still is pretty slim that they are just trying to pick dudes who are solid instead of going boom or bust?

I mean I have no idea on the strategy and their draft record isn't exactly sparkling as of late so who knows.

That seems to be the case. Noticeable shift in strategy.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:06 PM 06-05-2019

McConnell is a future trade guy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:24 PM 06-05-2019

Take the Royals draft, subtract Witt and you have the Cardinals draft.

Nothing but college pitchers. In what was said to be the worst draft for college pitchers in a generation. 8 of their first 11 picks were college pitchers with most of them having limited projection.

A bunch of high floor, low ceiling players who are almost certain to be little more than 5th starters...if you're lucky. Probably a handful of middle relievers when all is said and done.
This is as irritated as I've been by a Cardinals draft...probably ever.

Incredibly strange approach, IMO.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:28 PM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
McConnell is a future trade guy.

I think he’s a future 3B/CF.

Whether he hits enough to make his power and speed work is another story.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 03:46 PM 06-05-2019
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
[Reply]
Munson 07:41 PM 06-05-2019
WTF was Cutty thinking when going after that chopper?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:07 PM 06-05-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Take the Royals draft, subtract Witt and you have the Cardinals draft.

Nothing but college pitchers. In what was said to be the worst draft for college pitchers in a generation. 8 of their first 11 picks were college pitchers with most of them having limited projection.

A bunch of high floor, low ceiling players who are almost certain to be little more than 5th starters...if you're lucky. Probably a handful of middle relievers when all is said and done.
This is as irritated as I've been by a Cardinals draft...probably ever.

Incredibly strange approach, IMO.
It also makes me wonder if Dayton has no faith in his org’s player development.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 09:06 PM 06-05-2019

Chris Sale just threw an immaculate inning against the Royals. 3 batters, 3 strikeouts on 9 pitches.

— Joel Goldberg (@goldbergkc) June 6, 2019

Only other immaculate inning vs the Royals was Doug Jones in 1997. Johnny Damon, Scott Cooper and Rod Myers the hitters. My broadcast partner Jeff Montgomery threw one here in 1990. Stan Belinda and Danny Jackson (World Series) also had immaculate innings for KC

— Joel Goldberg (@goldbergkc) June 6, 2019

[Reply]
Page 129 of 301
« First < 2979119125126127128129 130131132133139179229 > Last »
Up