ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 624 of 3903
« First < 124524574614620621622623624 62562662762863467472411241624 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Demonpenz 03:03 PM 03-22-2020
Reaper16 once had a Burnt end Z-man. I think he is full of shit but he/she maybe telling the truth.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:03 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:

[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:04 PM 03-22-2020
What
A
Shame
[Reply]
Donger 03:04 PM 03-22-2020
The Best Case

I’ve been speaking to epidemiologists about their best- and worst-case scenarios to gauge what may lie ahead and see how we can tilt the balance. Let me start with the best case, since we could all use a dose of hope — which may even be therapeutic — before presenting a bleaker prognosis.

“The best case is that the virus mutates and actually dies out,” said Dr. Larry Brilliant, an epidemiologist who as a young doctor was part of the fight to eradicate smallpox. Brilliant was a consultant for the movie “Contagion,” in which a virus evolved to become more deadly, but that’s the exception. “Only in movies do viruses seem to become worse,” he explained.

Two other lethal coronaviruses, SARS and MERS, both petered out, and that is possible here. “My hope is that Covid-19 will not survive,” said Dr. Charles G. Prober, a professor at Stanford Medical School.

Several countries have shown that decisive action can turn the tide on Covid-19, at least for a time. China, astonishingly, on Thursday reported not a single new case of domestic transmission. While China is still vulnerable to a second wave, it has apparently shown that the virus can be squelched.

The West isn’t going to copy the coercive tactics of China, but Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and Hong Kong have also demonstrated that, at least temporarily, the virus can be controlled.

Singapore and the other successful Asian models responded with the standard epidemiological tool kit: vigilance and rapid response, testing, isolating the sick, tracing contacts, quarantining those exposed, ensuring social distancing and providing reliable information. They did not shut down their entire countries, and Singapore managed to keep its schools open throughout.

“Singapore is a best-case scenario,” said Dr. Tom Frieden, a former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He said that there was some possibility that with social distancing and limits on gatherings, the United States could knock down the numbers of infections and begin to adopt Singapore-style strategies to reduce new infections.

“The most important lesson is that the virus can be contained if people are responsible and adhere to certain simple principles,” said Dr. Christopher Willis, a physician in Singapore. “Stay calm. For most people it’s like the common cold.”

Dr. Tom Inglesby, an expert on pandemics at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, said, “The fact that Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea and China — and to some extent Japan — have all flattened their curves despite having the initial onslaught of cases should give us some hope that we can sort out what they’re doing well and emulate it.”

One encouraging sign is that in Washington State, which had an early outbreak, the number of positive tests appears stable.

The weather may also help us. Some respiratory viruses decline in summer from a combination of higher temperatures and people not being huddled together, so it is possible that Northern Hemisphere nations will enjoy a summer break before a second wave in the fall. That’s what happened during the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic: It hit in the spring of 1918, went away but returned worse than ever in the fall.

Of the four coronaviruses that cause the common cold, two diminish in warm weather, while two are more variable. SARS and MERS did not have clear seasonal variations, and even seasonal flu is transmitted in the summer, although less than in winter. So while experts hope that hot weather will shortly bring a reprieve from the coronavirus — the flu is already on the retreat — there’s no solid evidence.

One reason for measured optimism is the prospect that antiviral medicines will beat the coronavirus; some are already in clinical trials. Scientists have hopes for remdesivir, originally developed for Ebola; chloroquine, an old anti-malaria drug; and some anti-H.I.V. and immune-boosting drugs. Many other drugs are also lined up for trials.

Even without proven treatment, the coronavirus may be less lethal than was originally feared, so long as health care systems are not overwhelmed. In South Korea and in China outside Hubei Province, about 0.8 percent of those known to be infected died, and the rate was 0.6 percent on a cruise ship.

That’s still roughly six times the rate of seasonal flu, about 0.1 percent, but Dr. John Ioannidis of Stanford University argues that the fatality rate may end up even lower. He warns that we are engaging in hugely disruptive interventions without firm evidence of the threat that the virus poses. Singapore has had more than 200 confirmed cases of the virus and not a single death.

About four out of five people known to have had the virus had only mild symptoms, and even among those older than 90 in Italy, 78 percent survived. Two-thirds of those who died in Italy had pre-existing medical conditions and were also elderly; Dr. David L. Katz, the former director of the Prevention Research Center at Yale University, notes that many might have died soon of other causes even if the coronavirus had not struck.

That said, a new C.D.C. study finds that of coronavirus cases in the United States requiring admission to the intensive care unit, nearly half involved patients under age 65; there is also concern about lasting lung damage among survivors.

Putting it all together, Dr. Tara C. Smith, an epidemiologist at Kent State University, said: “I’m not pessimistic. I think this can work.” She thinks it will take eight weeks of social distancing to have a chance to slow the virus, and success will depend on people changing behaviors and on hospitals not being overrun. “If warm weather helps, if we can get these drugs, if we can get companies to produce more ventilators, we have a window to tamp this down,” Smith said.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:04 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Sounds like the market is about to tank.
:-)
[Reply]
Rasputin 03:05 PM 03-22-2020

It's possible Harvey dies but not by COVID19

"COVID19 did not kill Weinstein"
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:05 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Its hard to accept the large gap between social distancing and shelter in place on those graphs. I'm fine being sheltered in place(?), but doesn't feel like much has changed here as far as movement and the number of things considered essential kind of sends mixed signals.
Yeah... “essential services” so far pretty much seems to mean “everyone”
[Reply]
suzzer99 03:09 PM 03-22-2020
From a doctor in Seattle on another forum, referencing this WARNING:GRAPHIC article:

Originally Posted by :
Everything in that article is exactly what I have experienced. It’s death, isolation, and stupidity every day. If I have to remove the breathing tube so we can let a patient die in peace while the family watches on FaceTime again I’m going to scream bloody murder. Requirements for PPE changes daily and it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with what is safe for us and safe for our patients. It is driven by what is available and how long we think we are going to have to stretch supplies.

Or I’m just tired and need a day off.

[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:10 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
as it stand right now you are not going to avoid getting it so why shut anything down other than to delay it? Old people stay home young go work
you read anything in this thread? This is your solution? Let’s just let everyone get it? Old people, stay home. :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:11 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
older guy in a luxury high rise

being ordered to netflix and chill doesn't seem like a reason to suicide

losing your job and then losing a shit ton of net worth might be

maybe he got a double whammy and it was just too much
[Reply]
Rausch 03:12 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
you read anything in this thread? This is your solution? Let’s just let everyone get it? Old people, stay home. :-)
Delaying it is the whole point. Deaths are low right now due to the American medical system (as flawed as it is.) If hospitals are full and can't treat people ALL illnesses can become fatal.

Your appendix, colon obstruction, or kidney infection could kill you.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 03:13 PM 03-22-2020
best buy in st joe is open but they deliver the shit to your car door on the app.
[Reply]
stumppy 03:14 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
as it stand right now you are not going to avoid getting it so why shut anything down other than to delay it? Old people stay home young go work
[Reply]
Rausch 03:14 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Sounds like the market is about to tank.
It has already tanked. It will require a complete restructure after all this is over...
[Reply]
Rausch 03:16 PM 03-22-2020
I hope Kevin Bacon doesn't get it.

We're all 7 handshakes away from that guy...
[Reply]
Page 624 of 3903
« First < 124524574614620621622623624 62562662762863467472411241624 > Last »
Up