ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Media Center>It's a Done Deal: Disney purchases Fox
DaneMcCloud 12:42 PM 12-14-2017
$52 Billion plus Fox's $14 Billion of debt.

It’s now official – Walt Disney Company has purchased key parts of 21st Century Fox including the 20th Century Fox movie studio and the 20th Century Fox Television production company, along with media assets like Fox Searchlight, Fox 2000, FX Networks, FX Productions, National Geographic Partners, Fox21, Fox Regional Sports Networks, and Fox’s stake in Hulu, Star India, Endemol Shine Group and Sky.

Not included in the deal due to anti-trust restrictions are Fox News, the FOX broadcast network, or Fox Sports, which all remain a part of the Fox empire – as will the Fox studio lot in Century City. Those will be separated and maintained either under a newly listed company that will be spun off to its shareholders, or merge with News Corp. itself.

Disney now has its hands on Fox’s key franchises including “X-Men,” “Alien,” “Predator,” “Avatar,” “Die Hard,” “Planet of the Apes,” “Kingsman” and “Fantastic Four” (which is listed in the press release). Disney now also controls the full rights to all “Star Wars” films with the previously Fox-owned 1977 original likely to go back to Disney’s Lucasfilm – meaning theatrical re-releases and a potential home video version of the original theatrical cut.

Disney’s upcoming streaming service will also benefit with the addition of a ton of Fox content. The entire deal was done for approximately $52.4 billion in stock along with Disney also assuming approximately $13.7 billion of net debt for a total transaction value of approximately $66.1 billion.

At the request of both 21st Century Fox and the Disney Board of Directors, Mr. Iger has agreed to continue as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company through the end of calendar year 2021.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and 21st Century Fox have approved the transaction, which is subject to shareholder approval by 21st Century Fox and Disney shareholders, clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, a number of other non-United States merger and other regulatory reviews, and other customary closing conditions. It’s expected it will take 12-18 months to gain the necessary approvals to fuse the companies.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:25 AM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Disney isn't an ISP and therefore, has no ability to throttle any programming or streams.
Yet....:-)
[Reply]
oaklandhater 09:37 AM 12-19-2017
Democrats are trying to block this

http://deadline.com/2017/12/disney-f...st-1202228114/
[Reply]
Valiant 07:17 PM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:

Hmm. Imagine Netflix adding sports or news. Fuck, Netflix should jump on the xfl bandwagon.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:07 PM 12-19-2017
Disney has released new details about its upcoming "Star Wars"-themed lands.
Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge set to open in 2019
RELATED: Disney teases Millennium Falcon ride at Star War's Galaxy's Edge
Star Wars: Galaxy Edge is a 14-acre expansion currently under construction Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disneyland in California.

Although Disney has shared concept art of the lands before, visitors attending the Star Wars: Galactic Nights event on Saturday got to take an even closer looke at the

Scott Towbridge and his team from Walt Disney Imagineering shared new concept art, merchandise details and designs during a panel discussion.

One of the main attractions coming to the new lands is the life-size Millennium Falcon ride. Visitors will get a chance to board Han Solo’s iconic spaceship and pilot it themselves. Disney shared a photo from inside the ship last week.

The ride will feature multiple missions, making each ride a different experience.

Imagineers previously said that visitors will be able to track their performance, building a “reputation” in the process.

Galaxy’s Edge, which is set on the new planet of Batuu, will also feature a fleet of full-size X-wing starfighters.

As visitors roam the remote outpost, they will shops and merchant stalls. Members of the WDI team traveled to Istanbul and Marrakesh for inspiration.

Merchants will sell toys and collectibles, many of them with a hand-crafted look.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is set to open in 2019.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:10 PM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by Valiant:
Hmm. Imagine Netflix adding sports or news. Fuck, Netflix should jump on the xfl bandwagon.
yep, thought about a streaming service jumping on this as a Pardner when it was announced.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 08:40 PM 12-19-2017
Disney is launching its own service at some point in 2019, which prior to this purchase, would allow subscribers access to every Disney production ever created, from early Mickey Mouse to the Mickey Mouse Club, feature films and everything in between.
I really wonder if Disney was planning to do that. I don't suppose that many people would search out the early Mickey Mouse stuff, but a lot of the early cartoons have not aged well. Society was a lot more racists back then and the cartoons reflected that all too well.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 10:00 PM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:

As it stands this deal has little chance of flying, If Disney want's to give some of the cream off the top, maybe. When you put this and Net neutrality together it's not looking good for the consumer.
[Reply]
underEJ 08:23 PM 12-20-2017
I'm not sure if the cost of remastering the original versions vs. sales would warrant such a decision.

You're talking at least $50 million as well as a bunch of cross-editing (no one wants to see the outlines around Tie Fighters, X Wings, etc.) into a seamless transition.

Also, you have to keep in mind that 20 years has passed since the release of the Anniversary Editions, so there's a whole generation of people that have only seen those versions.

UnderEJ could certainly shed some insight into the Post Production process but I just don't think it's a financially viable move at this point in time.
This is the 1997 conundrum. Assuming availability of all materials was not a problem, it would matter what release they planned. If it needs to hold up to a 4k ultra format, the good clean up work done in 1997 might not hold up. Original negative would have all the fidelity needed, but shots that were worked on and then reoutput to film in 1997 would not have all the same fidelity because the scan back out to negative from a digital frame only has as much information as the file holds. They would probably be looking at a brand new effort, a 4k restoration, and a redo of all the clean up work.
[Reply]
Rausch 12:44 PM 12-27-2017
If "Big Kev" has his contract extended I'm all for it.

I know, he got a "year to year" extension but if what has already happened to SW's and Marvel comics happens to the MCU then no.

And I know that once he leaves it's over. Disney has fisted Liberal politics into Marvel comics, and Disney films, and once Kevin leaves the MCU will quit being a quality series based on long term goals of storytelling.

I'd just prefer to hold off the rape of all things I love another 10 years if possible...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:10 PM 12-27-2017
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
As it stands this deal has little chance of flying, If Disney want's to give some of the cream off the top, maybe. When you put this and Net neutrality together it's not looking good for the consumer.
I don't know why you keep posting this but it's false.

The deal was structured in such a way that it'll pass FCC regulations.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:25 AM 12-28-2017

Yeah, its mostly entertainment and sports. It's going to lessen the quality of our options but thats not something the government can step in and stop like they should have when we went down to basically 4 airlines. Now flying is not that far above riding a bus from a comfort and customer service prespective. We will get more formulaic movies now.

The government is concerned about the "public good" and the broadcast free press part of the ATT deal. Totally different.
[Reply]
Rausch 11:50 AM 12-28-2017

And if you want to make it political I'm sure Trump would love to see Murdoch get them billions to bolster his news/media empire...
[Reply]
Rausch 11:51 AM 12-28-2017
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
The government is concerned about the "public good" and the broadcast free press part of the ATT deal.
No.

It never has and never will...
[Reply]
listopencil 06:53 AM 01-11-2018
So...how many "Disney Princesses" are there now?
[Reply]
BigRichard 10:20 AM 01-11-2018
Are they still working on blocking this purchase? Man I hope so.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Up