ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 33 of 361
« First < 232930313233 343536374383133 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:24 AM 04-12-2016
Good morning fellow geeks, time to wake up...

[Reply]
DaFace 07:06 AM 04-12-2016
There is such a thing as going to far... :-)

Ship is finally back in port. There are tons of pics out there in the usual places (and a whole time series being updated here), but here are a few good ones:

Also, live video from the Port Canaveral Webcam here:

http://www.portcanaveralwebcam.com/
[Reply]
DaFace 11:44 AM 04-12-2016
Lots of cool shots of the landing up on the SpaceX Flickr page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacex/

[Reply]
Donger 12:06 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I think the barge itself is rocking all over the place. It's certainly possible that the big ass rocket landing on it caused it to dip on that side, though. :-)

In the shots they showed of it from the barge itself a minute or so later, it looks perfectly solid.
I don't think so. Even the pictures back at port show a lean. I bet one of the landing "feet" was damaged during the landing.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:25 AM 04-13-2016
This shot isn't anything new really, but I love having the workers in there for scale. It looks so small when it's all alone on the launch pad, but not so much.

[Reply]
eDave 12:08 PM 04-15-2016
Tilt shifted

https://zippy.gfycat.com/UntriedExcitableDartfrog.webm
[Reply]
DaFace 02:00 PM 04-18-2016
Is that a rocket between your legs...?

Full video of it coming down here:

The exciting part is all in the first 5 minutes or so. After that it's been hours of lowering it down and clamping it in the cradle.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:06 PM 04-18-2016
Also, next launch is a late night (12:22 a.m. Central), so I may have to catch the replays in the morning.
[Reply]
eDave 10:35 PM 04-19-2016
Traffic at Cape Canaveral

[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:00 PM 04-19-2016
While we wait on some pics of the booster coming back, would you guys mind giving me some feedback on this thread itself? I enjoy having a place to chat about this stuff, but I'm well aware that about 1/3rd of the posts in here are mine. I don't have a problem with that since I'm doing a lot of posting from around the interwebs, but I don't want to go so crazy with it that it's annoying to have the thread bumped all the time with boring info either.

So if you would, let me know what you think. I'll add a poll just to give me some concrete numbers, but just generally let me know if you think the level of content I post in here should be 1) slowed down a bit, 2) kept about the same, or 3) dive even more into the minutiae into things like launch schedules, press conferences, etc.

Oh, and thanks to those who have let me know they enjoy keeping up with this stuff privately. I know there are at least a few - I just want to gauge interest from others. :-)

---

EDIT TO ADD: I could also be convinced to re-brand this as the "Space Megathread" and talk about other cool space shit, but I don't want to overlap with Fish's science thread too much either.
sorry man been more of a lurker than poster. Great job with the thread. I'm up to speed on this because my son is studying Astrophysics. Still learn something new every time I look in the thread.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:10 AM 04-20-2016

By land and sea pic.twitter.com/C5QWfNy99r

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 20, 2016

Interesting that they took a bunch of engines off of the other one. I know they never intended to re-fly it, but still.

-----

Adding to prevent a bump...here's a cool new Android app to keep track of launches (not just SpaceX). Schedules, notifications, etc. Pretty sweet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...spacelaunchnow
[Reply]
DaFace 02:18 PM 04-27-2016
Whoa - aiming for Mars (unmanned) in 2018!

Planning to send Dragon to Mars as soon as 2018. Red Dragons will inform overall Mars architecture, details to come pic.twitter.com/u4nbVUNCpA

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) April 27, 2016

[Reply]
DaFace 02:19 PM 04-27-2016

Recently tested Dragon 2’s SuperDraco propulsive landing system at our McGregor, TX facility. Key for Mars landing pic.twitter.com/dV1nhKDMhr

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) April 27, 2016

[Reply]
DaFace 02:21 PM 04-27-2016

Dragon 2 is designed to be able to land anywhere in the solar system. Red Dragon Mars mission is the first test flight.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 27, 2016

But wouldn't recommend transporting astronauts beyond Earth-moon region. Wouldn't be fun for longer journeys. Internal volume ~size of SUV.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 27, 2016

[Reply]
eDave 02:23 PM 04-27-2016

Road trips are fun!

Man, stuff is happening fast. Love it.
[Reply]
Page 33 of 361
« First < 232930313233 343536374383133 > Last »
Up