ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>New Build Trouble
allen_kcCard 08:58 PM 01-31-2020
Tonight I finally got my 18 year old to finish getting the parts for his PC build that has been in progress for some time now, and then when we added in the GPU and a pcie wifi adapter all the sudden the damn thing wont run post.

Before today with just the mobo, power supply, RAM, CPU and cooling system connected with an M2 SSD in place, we could do a test to make sure everything connected and we had all the RGB lights come on for the motherboard and fans were running. But once we added the two new components mentioned above, when we powered it on the RGB lights came on for a moment and then went out, and we didn't see if the fans spun up in that moment before it went dark.

Any suggestions on what to try next to see what went wrong and if anything is damaged? First thing I did was take back out the GPU and wifi adapter that we added and re-check all the other connections, but that didn't help.

Possible problem I saw was that for the two GPU power connections one of the cords was a PCIE with the 8 pins and one of them being a blank slot, but the other cord was marked CPU and had all 8 pins in place. The only other thing I could think of is the video cable that was connected was close enough to part of the slot rails that it could have been grounding to the case, but there was nothing that seemed like an audible short.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:20 PM 01-31-2020
You probably should start by checking if the power supply unit can even handle the GPU. How cheap did you go on it?
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 10:14 PM 01-31-2020
Power supply should be good. We got for Chrismas for him a year ago before I knew what he would want to buy and just got bigger than he would need while it was on sale. It is a Ripjaw P1250P that is 80Platinum. GPU is a radeon RX 5700 XT.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 10:40 PM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by allen_kcCard:
Power supply should be good. We got for Chrismas for him a year ago before I knew what he would want to buy and just got bigger than he would need while it was on sale. It is a Ripjaw P1250P that is 80Platinum. GPU is a radeon RX 5700 XT.
I've scoured the internet to find info on your PSU but no dice. Ripjaws is a G.Skill brand but when I search for P1250P I get nothing. As for the video card... what brand?

Are you putting both power connectors into the video card? Is it a modular PSU?
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 10:48 PM 01-31-2020
Rog strix gaming GPU.
Typo. PS1250P power supply..left out the S. Yes, it is modular. Both power connectors were plugged in while I had it in there.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 11:05 PM 01-31-2020
These are the parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n2gjNq
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01-31-2020, 11:38 PM
This message has been deleted by BryanBusby.
BryanBusby 11:40 PM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by :
8x 6+2pin PCIe Connectors
Sounds like you should have no issues with not having enough connections.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 11:47 PM 01-31-2020
Yeah, there are more connectors for it, my concern was that the first time I had the card hooked up instead of using 2x 6+2pin PCIe connectors, I used one of those and the other was what looks like from the components list the second EPS connector. Not sure if that could have messed something up and that why nothing will power up now, or if it could be something else going on.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:55 PM 01-31-2020
The 8 pin cable labeled CPU should be connected to the MOBO @ EATX12V.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 12:04 AM 02-01-2020
One is plugged to the mobo there. There was a second cable just like it that was plugged into the GPU initially along with one of the PCI-e cables. It clipped in just fine and although I see some of the pins are rounded vs square now, it physically went in just fine, and easily unclipped and back out when I took the new components back out.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 12:46 AM 02-01-2020
So once you removed the video card and the wifi card did you attempt to fire it back up? If so, did it just stall out again? If so, have you attempted to just the cmos pin to reset it and see if it would then fire up?

If not... reset the jumpers and try to fire it up and let us know if it posts.

Could the video card or the wifi card not been properly seated causing a short and frying the motherboard? Take a look at the connectors on both cards, and shine a flashlight onto the mobo where the slots are, and see if you see any scorch marks.

Re-seat both power cords that go into the motherboard as well.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 08:06 AM 02-01-2020
Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx:
So once you removed the video card and the wifi card did you attempt to fire it back up? If so, did it just stall out again? If so, have you attempted to just the cmos pin to reset it and see if it would then fire up?

If not... reset the jumpers and try to fire it up and let us know if it posts.

Could the video card or the wifi card not been properly seated causing a short and frying the motherboard? Take a look at the connectors on both cards, and shine a flashlight onto the mobo where the slots are, and see if you see any scorch marks.

Re-seat both power cords that go into the motherboard as well.

Correct, removing the video card and wifi card and trying again resulted in nothing firing up still. Tried shorting the CLTRC this morning per the mobo documentation and also removed the on-board battery for a time and non of those helped get it to fire up.

I think the cards were seated well. The PCI-e slot has a clip that was engaged and the card wouldn't come back out without depressing it, and the wifi card seemed secure when I took it out, but my son had put it in so I can't say how it felt when installing it. Looking at the slots I can't see any sign of scorching, same for the cards themselves on the slot pins.

All the power cords have been re-seated, both on the connection to the board, and in the connection to the PSU, but nothing has helped so far.

The motherboard lists having a RGB indicator light on it that will light up based on power on failures with a color based on what errored, and nothing on that has lit up at all so far.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 10:29 AM 02-01-2020
Originally Posted by allen_kcCard:
Correct, removing the video card and wifi card and trying again resulted in nothing firing up still. Tried shorting the CLTRC this morning per the mobo documentation and also removed the on-board battery for a time and non of those helped get it to fire up.

I think the cards were seated well. The PCI-e slot has a clip that was engaged and the card wouldn't come back out without depressing it, and the wifi card seemed secure when I took it out, but my son had put it in so I can't say how it felt when installing it. Looking at the slots I can't see any sign of scorching, same for the cards themselves on the slot pins.

All the power cords have been re-seated, both on the connection to the board, and in the connection to the PSU, but nothing has helped so far.

The motherboard lists having a RGB indicator light on it that will light up based on power on failures with a color based on what errored, and nothing on that has lit up at all so far.
Fuck me.

Ok, I can think of one last thing. There is a series of wires that lead to the motherboard that control features to the case... among them is the power, reset, and other lighting.

Remove them all. Take a metal object and short the two pins that control the power switch. It is a long shot but perhaps those cables were put back in the wrong order or the switch on the case broke.

This is a long shot but the only reason I bring it up is because when I was putting the wife's rig back together after taking it apart to clean it up about two years ago... I was pulling my hair out because the damn thing wouldn't fire back up. Turns out that the power switch, or the soldering, broke.

The pin itself will be labeled. Here is the one on the wife's rig (labeled pwrbtn)... which I apparently need to clean up again.

[Reply]
allen_kcCard 04:00 PM 02-01-2020
Tried the pwrsw pin jump and still got nothing. I had thought about trying to connect another old PS to see if that changed anything, but it was only enough that it only had 6 pin connectors for the EPS connections, so I don't have that option.

Anyone know if there is a good approach to testing connections with a voltmeter? Wondered about checking that to verify if the PS is outputting juice.

I also thought about just taking everything out down to a bare case and then putting it back together, but that will suck when I do it all and it still won't fire up.
[Reply]
srvy 05:14 PM 02-01-2020
I dont know if this would help but found power supply tester at amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Power-Sup...dDbGljaz10cnVl

[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up