ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars post Skywalker
keg in kc 04:29 PM 01-05-2020
Project Luminous? Rumored to be Star Wars pre Skywalker era, but rather than Old Republic era it will be so-called High Republic, about 400 years before the Battle of Yavin (which means Yoda is alive...) and it may start with a video game next year before branching out into print, TV and eventually film. Basically sounds like, instead of doing trilogies, they're going to try to go the route of the MCU.

Couple different sources initially out with leaks about this yesterday, and it's starting to spread wider today.

https://makingstarwars.net/2020/01/t...-republic-era/
https://ziro.hu/english/exclusive-pr...-of-star-wars/
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-future...ct-luminosity/

If this is real it should be announced by Disney in the next few weeks. We shall see.
[Reply]
Jamie 01:55 AM 01-06-2020
I feel kind of shortchanged, shouldn't there have been more with with the sequel trilogy characters? Rey gets finally gets her lightsaber at the end of the last movie, and that's it? Finn is vaguely force sensitive, but that never gets explored any further? Poe doesn't get to fuck Keri Russell and finally prove he's 100% not gay?

Something that occurred to me as I was processing TLJ, the original trilogy and prequels don't work in chronological order. If you watch the prequels first, the Vader/Obi Wan confrontation in ANH is anticlimactic and shitty. It only works because ANH came first, and you cared more about Luke, Han, and Leia than you did Obi Wan and Vader.

All of this is to say, the sequel trilogy didn't have the luxury of being able to fully sideline the classic characters, and the extent they did was disappointing. People didn't want to see sad broken recluse Luke, they wanted to see badass Jedi Master Luke. They tried to have their cake and eat it too, and ended up doing a disservice to the old and new characters both.

Anyway, back on topic, if I was them I'd go forward. Maybe 100 to 200 years post-TRoS. So you can have a fresh start, but some familiar elements are still on the table, plus you can get away from the the constraints of slotting into existing lore.
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:32 AM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
The title of the thread says post Skywalker. But then you talk about events before Luke Skywalker even existed. Which is it?
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
It's Star Wars in the post-Skywalker Movie era.

Not post-Skywalker timeline.
Yeah, I can see how that could be confusing. I just meant what's coming next in Star Wars now that the Skywalker saga is done.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:22 AM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I was told directly that Benioff & Weiss's project was to be set 30,000 years ago and involve the first Force users. Jason's saying that Benioff & Weiss were going to work with this time period but that must have been what Lucasfilm had suggested, not B&W.

If this report is true, I don't understand how they're going to incorporate The Sith since not only is the "Rule of Two" in effect, The Sith were thought to been extinct for a millennia (at least according to Mace Windu).

This is going to be lame without a true Force enemy.
Do you have any hope that Benioff & Weiss won't screw this up?
[Reply]
keg in kc 01-06-2020, 11:28 AM
This message has been deleted by keg in kc. Reason: Dupe
keg in kc 11:33 AM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Do you have any hope that Benioff & Weiss won't screw this up?
They are long gone. Netflix gave them an absurd amount of money to do...something. Not sure what. Don't care what....
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:34 PM 01-06-2020
Enemy doesn't have to be Sith.

Here's your enemy:
There's a very good reason why the old EU was completely dumped: Most of it, probably 97%, is complete and utter garbage.

Not only would a movie featuring enemy aliens like this be extremely expensive, like $250-300 million expensive before marketing, there's no way Lucasfilm invests that kind of money into an unknown property.

It's fine for Lucasfilm to set their next wave of comics and games in this era but unless they make something familiar, like Jedi vs. Sith, there won't be enough interest to for a successful film run, especially at that type of budget.

Look no further than Star Wars: Resistance for proof. The Clone Wars and Rebels had very large audiences, with those series created in order to generate a new generation of Star Wars fans, which featured familiar themes and villains. Resistance shares none of those traits and barely got a Season 2, which is the final season of the program.

Unless Disney is dead set on absolutely destroying and devaluing Star Wars altogether, they'll steer clear of big budget films from a different era that completely avoid the best elements of what made the Imperial Era so special for the past 40+ years.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:39 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
They are long gone. Netflix gave them an absurd amount of money to do...something. Not sure what. Don't care what....
As I mentioned in my first post regarding Star Wars, B&W were fired after the dismal response to the final season of GoT.

Their deal with Netflix isn't absurd in the least: $250 million barely covers two seasons of GoT and wouldn't cover two seasons of The Mandalorian.

KK initally spoke with them about running a series based on The Old Republic but they came back with wanting to create a trilogy about the very first Force Users, set more than 30,000 years prior to ANH. She went along with it until the extremely divisive final season of GoT.

At that point, the writing was on the wall for them at Lucasfilm.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:45 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by Jamie:
People didn't want to see sad broken recluse Luke, they wanted to see badass Jedi Master Luke. They tried to have their cake and eat it too, and ended up doing a disservice to the old and new characters both
There is 30 years of "Gold" between RotJ and TFA for Lucasfilm to mine. They could do it via recasting and creating several TV series or film (although TV makes much more sense).

There's a lot of story to tell, especially 20-25 years before TFA, which could include adventures with Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and Lando, not to mention, Luke's Jedi Academy.

I don't think the audience is ready to jump forward 200 years or so because as the numbers have shown, the audience isn't really into the Post-TFA galaxy, considering the B.O. numbers.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:54 PM 01-06-2020
I said it in my first post re: Star Wars but for those of you that didn't read it, I'll reiterate that KK has been meeting with nearly every successful screenwriting team to create new Star Wars and Indiana Jones properties but everyone, and I mean everyone, has turned them down.

She had the guys from A Quiet Place at Lucasfilm back in like late September/early October and asked them to create a new Star Wars trilogy/story with new characters, settings and stories outside of the Skywalker saga.

They refused.

The quote I got was "Hey, if we're going to do that, we'll just create our own universe of characters and make it anything we want".

Due to the prequels and sequels, Lucasfilm and Star Wars has become toxic to any A-Listers and even many B-Listers with regards to new films. Also, there's a good reason why all of the new TV series have familiar settings in the known era: It's an easy sell.
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:27 PM 01-06-2020
Their deal with Netflix isn't absurd in the least: $250 million barely covers two seasons of GoT and wouldn't cover two seasons of The Mandalorian.
That really wasn't the point. Them getting $250 (no million required...) is absurd to me. They're hacks who don't have a single good original idea between the two of them. They're getting paid for 4 years of George's creativity followed by 4 years of shit. Netflix might as well that write that money off.
Originally Posted by :
KK initally spoke with them about running a series based on The Old Republic but they came back with wanting to create a trilogy about the very first Force Users, set more than 30,000 years prior to ANH. She went along with it until the extremely divisive final season of GoT.

At that point, the writing was on the wall for them at Lucasfilm.
This also pertains to your additional comments later in the thread, but the impression I'm getting is more along the lines of, going back through several previous directorial splits (Rogue One, Solo, the new trilogy), that KK and other Lucasfilm execs are so heavy handed in their work with directors and producers that they have by this point basically run off anyone A- or even B-list. I think The Mandalorian is a minor miracle at this point, what Favreau and especially Filoni have managed to do.

Either way, whether it's Disney running DnD off for 'creative differences' or because GoT tanked its latter half, the end result is a net positive for everyone.

What remains to be seen is whether this Luminous project is a good idea, if there's actually anything to it. Other than Yoda and I assume light sabers and blasters, there isn't going to be much recognizable as Star Wars with it. It sounds like an even cleaner, more political era than the Prequels, with none of the grit and fantasy western-ness of the Original Trilogy or The Mandalorian.

I don't know how you sell something like that to the Star Wars audience, much less to a wider one, something that doesn't sound very Star Wars, although honestly I think they'd have had a similar problem selling the Old Republic era.

It really just sounds like they're trying to recreate what the Avengers have done in a sort of Star Wars-y setting. Which kind of fits why Feige may be getting involved with Star Wars now. But it also sounds like a very by-the-numbers administrative approach, creatives be damned.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:41 PM 01-06-2020
There's a very good reason why the old EU was completely dumped: Most of it, probably 97%, is complete and utter garbage.

Not only would a movie featuring enemy aliens like this be extremely expensive, like $250-300 million expensive before marketing, there's no way Lucasfilm invests that kind of money into an unknown property.
I see what you're saying.

But at the same time, currently they don't have enough creative juice to create a character like Thanos.

I mean, they invested hundreds of millions in shitty characters named Rey, Finn and Poe so....:-)

Personally, I'd love it if they actually took a risk. That's what made TLJ great to me.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 03:00 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Excellent!
[Reply]
Jamie 03:25 PM 01-06-2020
There is 30 years of "Gold" between RotJ and TFA for Lucasfilm to mine. They could do it via recasting and creating several TV series or film (although TV makes much more sense).

There's a lot of story to tell, especially 20-25 years before TFA, which could include adventures with Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and Lando, not to mention, Luke's Jedi Academy.

I don't think the audience is ready to jump forward 200 years or so because as the numbers have shown, the audience isn't really into the Post-TFA galaxy, considering the B.O. numbers.
I think the numbers have shown that people are getting a little burned out on Star Wars in general, but they're more interested in things moving forward than they are in prequels and the minutia of continuity. If you think the box office of TLJ and TRoS are disappointing, remember Solo?
[Reply]
Jamie 03:30 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by Jamie:
They tried to have their cake and eat it too, and ended up doing a disservice to the old and new characters both.
I forgot to make the point I was getting to. I think in retrospect they should have let the sequel trilogy focus more on the OT characters, and set up the new characters to carry it forward post-IX.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:32 PM 01-06-2020
No one is getting burned out on Star Wars.

Everyone fucking LOVES The Mandalorian.

Star Wars done RIGHT, done BELIEVABLY and done with SKILL is still grandma's fucking pot roast nachos.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:35 PM 01-06-2020
No one is getting burned out on Star Wars.

Everyone fucking LOVES The Mandalorian.

Star Wars done RIGHT, done BELIEVABLY and done with SKILL is still grandma's fucking pot roast nachos.
Solo is the outlier there though. I thought it was good enough to get money, especially given what TLJ and ROS eventually netted at the box office. Solo looked and felt like Star Wars less force.

I'm guessing Solo didn't go because people were mad at TLJ.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up