ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Media Center>Songs That Fill You With the Spirit
JakeLV 01:44 AM 02-11-2018
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSif77IVQdY

Every time I hear Alison Krauss’ Down to the River to Pray, I always feel that much closer to Heaven. Anything you folks listen to that does the same thing?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:06 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Huffmeister:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaoR5m4L80
Did you watch The Leftovers, or did you come across this song independently?

[Reply]
Nzoner 07:42 AM 02-12-2018
Just saw this recently and was mesmerized.

[Reply]
Rausch 08:54 AM 02-12-2018
I Can Feel Him In The Morning - Grand Funk Railroad

Keep in mind that the first time I heard this song I was tripping on shrooms and it made me hide behind a couch for almost an hour. The song opens with a bunch of children talking about their opinions of God and the last comment is a child saying "and....and...if you're good you live forever, but if you're bad, you die when you die. You die when you die. YOU DIE WHEN YOU DIE."

And this switches from left, to right, to left, to right speaker.

Don't listen to this when on shrooms.

All that said if you listen to the song it's very simple and very much of its time while holding significance today. To me about being tethered back to what's important while understanding you have a responsibility to leave the world a better place than it was when you came into it. Or to at least try to.

I don't think it hurts that it sounds like something early Ament/Gossard would have made...

[Reply]
Rausch 09:04 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Nzoner:
Just saw this recently and was mesmerized.

I was about to curse your ghost until it went into "Peter Gabriel" mode...
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 09:25 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Thanks listo
[Reply]
Nzoner 09:27 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I was about to curse your ghost until it went into "Peter Gabriel" mode...
Yeah,I should've said you need to stay with it for a bit.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 11:37 AM 02-12-2018

[Reply]
siberian khatru 11:41 AM 02-12-2018

[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:05 PM 02-12-2018
I don't know if 'the spirit' is a proper term for what this fills me with, but something reminded me of it today and listening I'd forgotten just how much of a masterpiece this is. So how much detail you can pick out and how every detail is perfectly executed.

The bass, the drums, the keyboards, the mixing, the mastering, the horns.

The horns right before the chorus are one of the best licks in music history, and the interplay between the sax and bass towards the end [around 5:30] is nearly orgasmic.

[Reply]
Huffmeister 05:26 PM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Did you watch The Leftovers, or did you come across this song independently?
I first came across it on the Leftovers. The song itself speaks strongly to my agnosticism. As someone who always tends to do way too much over-thinking (ie, endlessly switching between theism and atheism) this song, along with Rush's 'Totem', is a strong reminder to myself that I don't have to figure it out. I can just let the mystery be, and that's ok.

Given the subject matter of the Leftovers, and the images of people who are "no longer there" in the intro, this song had a very powerful effect on me and how I view life and loss.
[Reply]
Huffmeister 05:28 PM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
I've always loved the build-up in that song. Like every other member of Yes, Jon Anderson is a master of his instrument (his voice).
[Reply]
Fishpicker 11:37 PM 02-12-2018
these are lo fi. it helps to turn up the bass

[Reply]
JakeLV 10:39 PM 01-24-2020
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5z-jjWyAJQ

One more from me.
[Reply]
srvy 01:16 AM 01-25-2020
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Prefer my Suppers Ready with Peter Gabriel's powerful voice on vocals and Phil Collins on the drums where he belongs.

[Reply]
GayFrogs 07:38 AM 01-25-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I don't know if 'the spirit' is a proper term for what this fills me with, but something reminded me of it today and listening I'd forgotten just how much of a masterpiece this is. So how much detail you can pick out and how every detail is perfectly executed.

The bass, the drums, the keyboards, the mixing, the mastering, the horns.

The horns right before the chorus are one of the best licks in music history, and the interplay between the sax and bass towards the end [around 5:30] is nearly orgasmic.

:-)...I thought I was the only one who knew about this album. Kind of a guilty pleasure but I love "the dude"
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up