ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 17
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Media Center>Spinoff: Bands you regret seeing live
Mephistopheles Janx 08:09 AM 08-02-2020
In 2015 I had the distinct displeasure of seeing Blues Traveler at Red Rocks for 4th of July. I'd loved Blues Traveler since I was a teenager and the song Hook came out. I loved the album Four. I loved their sister band the Spin Doctors.

Hanson was the opening act. They were garbage just as one might anticipate.

Guster was the middle act and they were FANTASTIC.

Then Blues Traveler hit the stage and I was ready to be 14 again. Instead, the dude forgot a shit ton of lyrics, was constantly out of breath, and to make matters worse... he brought out Rome from "Sublime with Rome" (an abomination before God and man) and STARTED DOING SUBLIME COVERS.

Fuck John Popper and fuck Rome.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:09 AM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Bummer, dude. I hope you get your dough back. At least Bon Jovi cancelled his tour, so everyone that purchased a ticket got a full refund.

The Motley Crue/Def Leppard/Poison tour was "postponed", which IMO, was a pretty crappy way to treat fans.
Deftones is the headliner of the show, and I think it was them that forced a postponement as Gojira outright canceled all their headlining dates with a statement about it not being fair to their fans. Hell, I had already planned on bailing after Gojira's set.

Deftones rescheduled a bunch of dates, but fortunately the KC date was not one of them. Meaning a lot of their fans will have cash tied up for like 18 months. IDGAF about the $400 on tickets as much as I do about the principle of not screwing your fans. Likely many of whom that money is needed now for basics like groceries and utilities. Very unlikely I'll ever put money into anything Deftones again. Even if a band I've really wanted to see is touring with them.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:11 AM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Off subject, I went to go see Disturbed with Rob Zombie on pissed issue. So I played for my wife this tune from Disturbed...

[IMG][/IMG]

As soon as the video ended, my phone rang and our offer on our home was accepted. Will love this video for the rest of my life!
Disturbed is one of the lamest live acts I've ever seen. So boring live. Not bad, not good, just straight up mediocre.
[Reply]
GayFrogs 09:56 AM 08-09-2020
If anyone needs a backing track it's rob zombie. Maybe he's better in recent years, but in every live video the guy jumps around, gets winded and half-tries to sing. Give me a lead man who doesn't treat singing as secondary to performing live..stand still kurt cobain-style if that's what it takes to sing. And I love white zombie / rob zombie so it's frustrating.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:00 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by idrapethat:
If anyone needs a backing track it's rob zombie. Maybe he's better in recent years, but in every live video the guy jumps around, gets winded and half-tries to sing. Give me a lead man who doesn't treat singing as secondary to performing live..stand still kurt cobain-style if that's what it takes to sing. And I love white zombie / rob zombie so it's frustrating.
I saw him two years ago and the only backing tracks he used was for the spoken parts and the movie clips. I’m not a huge Zombie fan but it was one of the best live shows I’ve ever seen. John 5 was flat out amazing.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:00 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Don't forget Impellitteri
Q

:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:04 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Rob Zombie: Told us he had the flu and fuck you. Then spit flu ridden biohazard loogies into the crowd all night. It was awesome.
I had a buddy that saw him with White Zombie back in the early 90’s. My buddy was near the stage wearing a Bob Barker tshirt. All of the sudden Rob asked “where’s that motherfucker in the Bob Barker shirt?”

Some dude was going “me, me!” and Rob said “no, the green one.”

At that point, my buddy realized it was him so he yelled at the stage. Rob hocked up a big green spit ball and hit my buddy with it, right in Barker’s face.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:38 PM 08-09-2020
I won't say I regret it but the Red Hot Chili Peppers really weren't very good live. Sound was fairly off and definitely not cohesive. Considering what we paid for the tickets, I was left with a feeling of regret and definitely don't have to see them again.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:42 PM 08-09-2020
Dane, you should expound on that "Joe Perry is trash" take

That's first time I've ever heard anyone say that... you saying Whitford created all those classic riffs?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:33 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Dane, you should expound on that "Joe Perry is trash" take

That's first time I've ever heard anyone say that... you saying Whitford created all those classic riffs?
Joe Perry didn't play any of the guitar solos and many of the guitar parts on the first couple of Aerosmith records. They were actually recorded by Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter of Alice Cooper's band.

In terms of songs, Steven Tyler wrote the bulk of their early 70's songs, with Tom Hamilton, Whitford and Perry contributing during their mid-to-late 70's albums. Once they signed with Geffen, nearly all of their songs were either co-writes with outside successful songwriters (Desmond Child, Mark Hudson, etc) or just written outright by outside writers.

In terms of Joe, yeah, he wrote a couple of classic riffs but speaking strictly as a guitarist, he's several rungs below Brad Whitford, the guy that played all of the killer guitar solos on those later records. Brad Whitford never had the marketability of Perry.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:56 PM 08-09-2020
Joe Perry didn't play any of the guitar solos and many of the guitar parts on the first couple of Aerosmith records. They were actually recorded by Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter of Alice Cooper's band.

In terms of songs, Steven Tyler wrote the bulk of their early 70's songs, with Tom Hamilton, Whitford and Perry contributing during their mid-to-late 70's albums. Once they signed with Geffen, nearly all of their songs were either co-writes with outside successful songwriters (Desmond Child, Mark Hudson, etc) or just written outright by outside writers.

In terms of Joe, yeah, he wrote a couple of classic riffs but speaking strictly as a guitarist, he's several rungs below Brad Whitford, the guy that played all of the killer guitar solos on those later records. Brad Whitford never had the marketability of Perry.
Yep. When it comes to guitar, Joe is kind of schlub.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:01 PM 08-09-2020

Wow I honestly didn't know ANY of that, its pretty disappointing tbh... always been led to believe Perry was the guitar virtuoso of that band

But yeah I can see what you're saying about the marketability angle, Joe's the ripped and tan dude so the media naturally pushed him
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:02 PM 08-09-2020
Wow I honestly didn't know ANY of that, its pretty disappointing tbh... always been led to believe Perry was the guitar virtuoso of that band

But yeah I can see what you're saying about the marketability angle, Joe's the ripped and tan dude so the media naturally pushed him
Yeah not only is he not what you think, he’s actually not a very good guitar player at all. Certainly not for the fame and adoration he’s received.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:12 PM 08-09-2020

Well, that was always John Kalodner's deal, who convinced Aerosmith to reform and sign with Geffen, that perpetrated the "Joe Perry is a Guitar God" image in the 80's.

Perry puts on a show but Brad Whitford is the man in Aerosmith. The last time I saw them was around 2008 on a dual bill with Lenny Kravitz (who was freaking unbelievable). Brad looked like a typical grandfather going to church on Sunday: Nice slacks, button down shirt and a sports coat.

Perry looked like a rock star but was buried in the mix.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 03:35 PM 08-09-2020
As for the backing track, I do have to admit I am a fan of a genre that uses it quite extensively. Though some of the groups in that genre do often play with backing band and some have pretty much exclusively become performer(s) plus band.
[Reply]
Halfcan 03:45 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yeah not only is he not what you think, he’s actually not a very good guitar player at all. Certainly not for the fame and adoration he’s received.
I saw Aerosmith from the 5th row on the Done With Mirrors tour. Perry was doing his own "project" at the time. The band was tight and sounded great. (Jimmy Crespo) or something like that, filled in for Perry and played well. Steven had his own issues, but really sounded good for this show at least.

I think that DWM is lost in history now. It was a bad time for the band, but it had a lot of solid tracks on it.

I paid $8.00 to see them then- so skipped their reunion tours when they wanted 20 times that to hear the same tired songs. Judgeing by the comments, I don't think I missed much.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 17
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Up