ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2167 of 3903
« First < 1167166720672117215721632164216521662167 216821692170217121772217226726673167 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
staylor26 06:46 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Then I’m good :-)
[Reply]
Mecca 06:58 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
I think the internet has actually made our culture stupider.
There is a ton of truth in this comment.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:59 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Wonder what the uproar will be about unsupervised consumption. . . .
[Reply]
TLO 07:11 AM 05-22-2020
There's a ton of information here. If anyone cares to break it down a bit that would be awesome.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...scenarios.html
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:38 AM 05-22-2020
World wide study of HCQ and the results aren't good. Unfortunately time to put HCQ as a viable option to treat covid 19 to rest for now.

Originally Posted by :
A study of 96,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients on six continents found that those who received an antimalarial drug had a significantly higher risk of death compared with those who did not.

People treated with hydroxychloroquine, or the closely related drug chloroquine, were also more likely to develop a type of irregular heart rhythm, or arrhythmia, that can lead to sudden cardiac death, it concluded.

The study, published Friday in the medical journal the Lancet, is the largest analysis to date of the risks and benefits of treating covid-19 patients with antimalarial drugs. It is based on a retrospective analysis of medical records, not a controlled study in which patients are divided randomly into treatment groups — a method considered the gold standard of medicine.

But the sheer size of the study was convincing to some scientists.

“It’s one thing not to have benefit, but this shows distinct harm,” said Eric Topol, a cardiologist and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute. “If there was ever hope for this drug, this is the death of it.”

David Maron, director of preventive cardiology at the Stanford University School of Medicine, said that “these findings provide absolutely no reason for optimism that these drugs might be useful in the prevention or treatment of covid-19.”

[Reply]
Mecca 07:40 AM 05-22-2020
http://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-spec...pkin/?t=33m30s

US Director for the Center for Infection and Immunity admits withholding evidence in JANUARY that even simple masks reduce community spread by 60%, in order to protect supplies for healthcare workers (including his wife). @33:30

Speaker is Ian Lipkin, US Director of the Center for Infection and Immunity.

Excerpt...

So people who use facemasks in a consistent way had a 70% reduction in community transmission and if they used them intermittently it was 60%. I found that impressive and we talked about it but there was no access to facemasks and so I was I thought a long time about trying to publish this because if I did that, if we did that, it would have deprived you know people on the front lines because there weren’t sufficient facemasks from getting access to those and it would have made things worse, so I didn’t proceed with that. So that’s something that unfortunately is going to go in the memoirs rather than in the written record.

So there ya go.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 07:47 AM 05-22-2020

Children and older adults to be included in second phase of vaccine trials to protect against coronavirus https://t.co/wS8AEXBwSx

— BBC News (UK) (@BBCNews) May 22, 2020

[Reply]
Mecca 07:50 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
There is a ton of truth in this comment.
To expand on this...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...tion-epidemic/
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:05 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Another outbreak in a meat packing plant in North Carolina. 500 something out of over 2000 employees tested positive. Most had no symptoms.

More good news but that sort of thing doesn’t get much play here.
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:09 AM 05-22-2020

US Director for the Center for Infection and Immunity admits withholding evidence in JANUARY that even simple masks reduce community spread by 60%, in order to protect supplies for healthcare workers (including his wife). @33:30

Excerpt...

So people who use facemasks in a consistent way had a 70% reduction in community transmission and if they used them intermittently it was 60%. I found that impressive and we talked about it but there was no access to facemasks and so I was I thought a long time about trying to publish this because if I did that, if we did that, it would have deprived you know people on the front lines because there weren’t sufficient facemasks from getting access to those and it would have made things worse, so I didn’t proceed with that. So that’s something that unfortunately is going to go in the memoirs rather than in the written record.

So there ya go.

wtf? They could have said use or make cloth masks. This is almost criminal.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 08:10 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I don't really give a shit about what you feel; that's the problem: some of us are trying to debate facts, and others act like uninformed opinions have equal validity as data-driven research.

This is just an elaborate rationalization for ignorance and intellectual laziness. It reminds me of a bad student paper wherein the writer doesn't attempt to construct a counterargument because, "everyone has a bias."

There are a lot of things we don't know, but there are also a lot of things we can say definitively.

*We know that social distancing works. This has been proven in the past and with studies of the virus' spread after the initiation of lockdowns.
*We know that the virus is spread primarily through respiratory droplets and that fomite transmission is much less likely
*We know that mask wearing reduces transmission of the virus
*We have learned a lot about the pathophysiology of the disease, which allows clinicians to treat it better (proning, coagulopathies, cytokine storm)
*We know that risk is correlated with age and comorbidity

We don't yet know if we'll have a vaccine, and there are no therapeutic silver bullets, but to say that nobody knows anything speaks to a gargantuan level of ignorance that you're projecting onto the rest of the scientific community when it's really just your own.
Why didn’t you include the fact that the flu is twice as deadly in anyone younger than 24? Seems like that would be vital information when berating someone for comparing it to the flu. I agree that overall this is much worse than the flu, but you can’t argue that for certain ages that’s just not true. So, yeah, younger people have a right to think the flu is more dangerous because it is for them.
[Reply]
limested 08:14 AM 05-22-2020

Excerpt...

So there ya go.
Going to be another fun day arguing about masks with idiots that think they cause more harm than good.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:16 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by limested:
Going to be another fun day arguing about masks with idiots that think they cause more harm than good.
I'd have more respect for the opinion if they'd just start it with "I'm a selfish twat that doesn't care about anything but what I want."

Cause that's at least an honest take as opposed to trying to argue stupidity.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 08:20 AM 05-22-2020
I'd have more respect for the opinion if they'd just start it with "I'm a selfish twat that doesn't care about anything but what I want."

Cause that's at least an honest take as opposed to trying to argue stupidity.
You’re not going to be able to convince some of these neurotic healthy people walking around in N95 masks that they’re doing anything wrong though. I wish we’d make them wear a shirt that said that though!
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:21 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by limested:

I wonder where people initially got the idea that masks aren’t helpful?
[Reply]
Page 2167 of 3903
« First < 1167166720672117215721632164216521662167 216821692170217121772217226726673167 > Last »
Up