ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Media Center>Jack Reacher
Ubeja Vontell 12:22 AM 09-10-2019
I discovered Lee Childs Jack Reacher stories about 10 years ago, what a great read. Usually we find Reacher hitch hiking, as he wanders the USA, somebody will eventually pick him up despite having a hulkish look at 6-6 260ish. And our story begins.

When I heard there was going to be a movie, yep, excited. But........Tom Cruise? How can the 5-8 170 (guessing) sell the huge Jack Reacher? In the stories the size of Reacher is a constant, we get it.....big bad hombre. Tom Cruise a big bad hombre......nay!

X pro rassler/current actor Dave Batista.....perfect.

If a movie is based on a literary character why not stay as close as possible to the story?

I guess the worst casting job ever was John Wayne as Ghanghis Ghan, What were they thinking?
[Reply]
Jamie 07:34 PM 01-19-2024
I keep reminding myself as I watch it that it's not that type of show, but the logic holes still bothered me. Particularly at the end. The only thing dumber than Reacher turning himself in was T-1000 not immediately shooting him in the head when he did. Especially once he found out Neagley was alive.

It might have made sense if they had something T-1000 needed, but all it was is that he "didn't like loose ends". He could have just left early for the meeting with arms dealer and been totally fine.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 09:45 PM 01-19-2024
I'm not going to say anything bad about it; for me, the first season was something that I looked forward to each episode and after watching the first two episodes of season two, I've completely forgotten that it's on at all.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:52 AM 01-20-2024
Originally Posted by RockChalk:
Dixon, however, was not
No, she was not

I just learned she was Zatana on the Smallville show from 20-ish (!) years ago

And she was on the Rock's show Ballers

Yeah, she might have been the best thing about this season, honestly.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:12 PM 01-20-2024
Finally watched the last two episodes. Could've been better. Occurred to me that Reacher is basically Mack Bolan (maybe someone else has read the Mack Bolan: The Executioner series by Pendleton). Trashy action books along the lines of Marvel's The Punisher. Same kind of shallow writing, but was a fun read for me in my teens.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 12:18 PM 01-20-2024
Wasn't as good a season one, but I was entertained.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 12:46 PM 01-20-2024
Reacher is the #2 streaming show, #1 original. Young Sheldon is somehow #1 overall.

https://www.nielsen.com/data-center/top-ten/
[Reply]
stumppy 01:09 PM 01-20-2024
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Reacher is the #2 streaming show, #1 original. Young Sheldon is somehow #1 overall.

https://www.nielsen.com/data-center/top-ten/
:-)

We may have reached the point in our society where it's best to drown us all in gasoline and light the fire.
[Reply]
seclark 01:13 PM 01-20-2024
I’ve read all of Lee Child’s Reacher novels, and I think it’s just like anything else. The movie is never going to be as good as the book.
I sit through the whole movie, comparing it with the book, and I can’t enjoy it.
Killers of the flower moon was the same way.
I hate watching movies that I have read the book.
sec
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:52 PM 01-20-2024
Originally Posted by seclark:
I’ve read all of Lee Child’s Reacher novels, and I think it’s just like anything else. The movie is never going to be as good as the book.
I sit through the whole movie, comparing it with the book, and I can’t enjoy it.
Killers of the flower moon was the same way.
I hate watching movies that I have read the book.
sec
LOTR was one of the few adaptations that were arguably better than the book. And if nothing else, were definitely something that added to the readers experience.
[Reply]
seclark 02:05 PM 01-20-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
LOTR was one of the few adaptations that were arguably better than the book. And if nothing else, were definitely something that added to the readers experience.
Maybe…I see your point, but I devoted a lot of time reading all that shit.
Kinda like the Game of Thrones books.
They miss something, or add something and I notice it.
No big deal except to me, and I don’t count for shit.
sec
[Reply]
Bowser 02:06 PM 01-20-2024
Originally Posted by seclark:
Maybe…I see your point, but I devoted a lot of time reading all that shit.
Kinda like the Game of Thrones books.
They miss something, or add something and I notice it.
No big deal except to me, and I don’t count for shit.
sec
Man, the first 5+ seasons of Game of Thrones was just perfect. Then it wasn't.
[Reply]
seclark 02:07 PM 01-20-2024
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Man, the first 5+ seasons of Game of Thrones was just perfect. Then it wasn't.
Denied
I mean, it was a great story, but…
sec
[Reply]
alanm 02:58 PM 01-20-2024
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Finally watched the last two episodes. Could've been better. Occurred to me that Reacher is basically Mack Bolan (maybe someone else has read the Mack Bolan: The Executioner series by Pendleton). Trashy action books along the lines of Marvel's The Punisher. Same kind of shallow writing, but was a fun read for me in my teens.
Hell, I used to read the Mack Bolan books all the time years ago. I'm surprised someone hasn't picked up on those for screen time.
[Reply]
Jamie 05:03 AM 01-22-2024
Originally Posted by Jamie:
I keep reminding myself as I watch it that it's not that type of show, but the logic holes still bothered me. Particularly at the end. The only thing dumber than Reacher turning himself in was T-1000 not immediately shooting him in the head when he did. Especially once he found out Neagley was alive.

It might have made sense if they had something T-1000 needed, but all it was is that he "didn't like loose ends". He could have just left early for the meeting with arms dealer and been totally fine.
I was curious if this was just them following the novel, so I looked up a plot summary. And no, the novel made more sense.
Spoiler!

It's weird, I don't know why they would change it to something that makes less sense. Maybe they felt like they needed to add a bigger action scene for the ending, but I think it would have been better to beef up the confrontation with the arms dealer instead. Especially since that ended up being so anticlimactic. Which is another thing, the setup of that guy was pretty pointless. Like they spend this time setting up his resourcefulness and ruthlessness and in the end all he does is walk in and get shot.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 05:52 AM 01-22-2024
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
That is just about exactly the genre of the Reacher books.

Which is why the poor writing and god mode stuff doesn't bother me at all.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Up