ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 2296
« First < 56789 1011121319591095091009 > Last »
The Lounge>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BWillie 08:52 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
If this is a super charged cousin of the Spanish flu that killed 20 million we could be in for a rough ride. Sure, that many died because there wasn't antibiotics and information on how virus's are transferred. But....


Historians say that at least 200K would have died because of the 10 day incubation period when the infected are asymptomatic. Mostly due to the rural places humans lived in that era. They knew to isolate the sick but the 10 day incubation period was too much for them to overcome in that era.



With modern medicine and IV antibiotics any previously healthy person shouldn't die in America from this disease that seeks immediate help. But people wait to long to go to a doctor or hospital, with the long incubation period of this virus that may exacerbate their stupid decisions to wait.



At least once every two weeks we had someone come into the ER who was septic(virus was in the blood) because they waited to long, We were able to save about 1/2. Jim Henson, founder of the Muppets died because he waited too long.
Antibiotics do nothing to combat flu or coronaviruses. Only potential infections they may create, but I suppose your point remains.
[Reply]
JD10367 08:52 PM 02-28-2020
AFAIK, there are many coronaviruses. SARS is a coronavirus. Bird Flu is a coronavirus. The common cold is a coronavirus. And this strain is more catchy than SARS or Bird Flu, but less deadly. But, hey, everyone! Pay no attention to politics, or what the government is doing to strip your rights and give us to Russia! Look, over there! Coronavirus!
[Reply]
BWillie 08:53 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Wash your coats, bitch
Flu viruses actually cant survive on clothing very long.
[Reply]
007 08:56 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by JD10367:
AFAIK, there are many coronaviruses. SARS is a coronavirus. Bird Flu is a coronavirus. The common cold is a coronavirus. And this strain is more catchy than SARS or Bird Flu, but less deadly. But, hey, everyone! Pay no attention to politics, or what the government is doing to strip your rights and give us to Russia! Look, over there! Coronavirus!
That's the question. While everyone is looking over here, what's going on elsewhere that they don't want people to know. :-)
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:10 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Flu viruses actually cant survive on clothing very long.

[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 09:17 PM 02-28-2020
Trump just called the virus a democratic hoax
[Reply]
TLO 09:23 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Trump just called the virus a democratic hoax
Take this shit to DC
[Reply]
Rasputin 01:58 AM 02-29-2020

[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:13 AM 02-29-2020
make sure you fill up on gas. that shit is going up
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:20 AM 02-29-2020
Well, first case of C-19 reported with no known point of origin now in Oregon today. An elementary school teacher. School's closed for now.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...in-oregon.html

Correction: employee, not teacher.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 04:29 AM 02-29-2020
You are statistically more likely to die in a car crash driving to the store to stupidly stock up on surgical masks, Purell, etc, than dying from the Coronavirus.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:49 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Antibiotics do nothing to combat flu or coronaviruses. Only potential infections they may create, but I suppose your point remains.
geeez every 1st grader knows antibiotics don't work on virus's.

I worked in a level 1 hospital for 10 years as a Respiratory Therapist. I dealt with the effects of a virus on thousands of people. It's been awhile since I was in the ER and ICU but since I had hundreds of people die under my care from secondary infections from virus and saved thousands, I don't think I've forgot basic facts. You ever see a person die in front of you that you are trying to save? You don't forget basic facts.

One more time.... its just basic cause and effect. Cause = Virus. Effect = increase in body temperature and secondary infections.

Then if you enter the cascading effect. This is where you life becomes endangered. Especially in the elderly and others there were not healthy to begin with when they got the virus. You cant cough up fluid out of your lungs. It gets infected. Your body starts to fail. We put you on a ventilator. Which may save your life or kill you because we now make it easier for the secondary infections to spread more easily throughout your body.
[Reply]
SupDock 09:56 AM 02-29-2020
A few things

The virus doesn't cause the fever, your body does, and that's a good thing. Fever should only be treated for specific reasons.

Also, the availability of steroids and antibiotics absolutely reduces fatality rates. Antibiotics reduce secondary infections.

This is a novel Corona virus, meaning it's brand new, but there are lots.of other Corona viruses, many of them cause common colds. This could be a reason why children seem to be less effected

The annual fatality rate of influenza is not 0.1 percent, it's around 0.01 percent or less. The Spanish flu had a fatality rate of over 2 percent.


https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2762130
This JAMA article article estimates the china fatality rate at 2.3 percent, but this is likely not complete data
[Reply]
ptlyon 10:06 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
You are statistically more likely to die in a car crash driving to the store to stupidly stock up on surgical masks, Purell, etc, than dying from the Coronavirus.
Are, it will get you one way or another
[Reply]
wazu 10:07 AM 02-29-2020
Let's assume for a minute that China has vastly under-reported number of infections. Let's assume a million people in china got this. So we're talking about roughly .07% of their population that got this thing. And reports of new cases are slowing down. If the stock market is tanking over this hysteria then now would be a great time to buy.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 2296
« First < 56789 1011121319591095091009 > Last »
Up