ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 20
< 1234 567814 > Last »
The Lounge>Home brew
Dartgod 10:46 AM 01-16-2005
I know there are some other home brewers on here; Bwana and TJ for starters.

I'm brewing my first batch ever today. It's a German wheat. Looking forward to tasting this bad boy in about a month! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
JimNasium 11:15 AM 01-17-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Not yet. Last time I checked was before work, around 7 a.m. At that point it had been about 17 hours. Should I be concerned?
No, I don't think so. I've had them take more than 24 hours to get going. If it's still not going when you get home you might want to shake the bucket a little. This can help spur things on. My chocolate stout was a bit slow and shaking the shit out of the carboy was the cure.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 11:15 AM 01-17-2005
Originally Posted by JimNasium:
Extracts with grains and I have one mini-mash under my belt. I'm putting together all of the equipment for all-grain right now and should be ready for my first batch in the Spring.
I’ve done a “mini mash” also and it pretty much convinced me that all grain brewing is a little too involved for me.
I prefer the extract kits with some grains added for steeping, gives if a fresher taste IMO.
[Reply]
Bwana 11:16 AM 01-17-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Hehe. Just messing with you.
I used BTF? or something like that. It's an iodophor.
:-) I was thinking Uh-Oh.
[Reply]
JimNasium 11:16 AM 01-17-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Hehe. Just messing with you.
I used BTF? or something like that. It's an iodophor.
:-)
[Reply]
JimNasium 11:18 AM 01-17-2005
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
I’ve done a “mini mash” also and it pretty much convinced me that all grain brewing is a little too involved for me.
I prefer the extract kits with some grains added for steeping, gives if a fresher taste IMO.
I'm going to give it a shot and it shouldn't take too much more equipment. I also have plenty of buddies who brew so if it doesn't suit me I can dump the equipment on them. I doubt that I'll do it all the time because of the time involved but I must admit that the idea of turning grain into beer all by myself is appealing.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 11:22 AM 01-17-2005
Originally Posted by Bwana:
You have to do that in order to prevent and infection in the beer. I used iodine
Bleach and water. Thoroughly rinsed, of course.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 11:23 AM 01-17-2005
Originally Posted by JimNasium:
I'm going to give it a shot and it shouldn't take too much more equipment. I also have plenty of buddies who brew so if it doesn't suit me I can dump the equipment on them. I doubt that I'll do it all the time because of the time involved but I must admit that the idea of turning grain into beer all by myself is appealing.
:-) I can understand that.
[Reply]
Dartgod 07:04 PM 01-17-2005
OK, I'm starting to worry a bit. Came home from work and no action yet. It's been about 29 hours since I pitched the yeast. I just took the wort's temp, its at 62 degrees. I had moved the fermentor to a cooler room last night because I pitched the yeast at 76 degrees and I wanted it to cool down a bit. I just moved it back to a warmer room and swirled the wort around pretty vigorously.

Any ideas or am I going to have to throw some more yeast in? I still have a package of dry yeast here.
[Reply]
JimNasium 07:07 PM 01-17-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
OK, I'm starting to worry a bit. Came home from work and no action yet. It's been about 29 hours since I pitched the yeast. I just took the wort's temp, its at 62 degrees. I had moved the fermentor to a cooler room last night because I pitched the yeast at 76 degrees and I wanted it to cool down a bit. I just moved it back to a warmer room and swirled the wort around pretty vigorously.

Any ideas or am I going to have to throw some more yeast in? I still have a package of dry yeast here.
Relax and have a homebrew. That 62 degrees just slowed your activity is all. Give it another 24 hours before you pitch the dry stuff.
[Reply]
Dartgod 07:12 PM 01-17-2005
Originally Posted by JimNasium:
Relax and have a homebrew.
I don't have any home brew. But I would like to, if this thing would ever take off!! LOL
[Reply]
JimNasium 07:14 PM 01-17-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
I don't have any home brew. But I would like to, if this thing would ever take off!! LOL
Sorry. I couldn't resist. I really don't think you are in trouble. I hovered over my first batch like it was my first born child......and then I drank it way too fast when it was done. There's nothing better than drinking that first bottle of beer that YOU brewed. I'll be waiting for a review. :-)
[Reply]
Bwana 07:14 PM 01-17-2005
What Jim said.. If you don't get any action in the next 24 hours, toss in another bag of yeast.
[Reply]
Phobia 07:17 PM 01-17-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
I don't have any home brew. But I would like to, if this thing would ever take off!! LOL
You're screwed. You should just drink it now.
[Reply]
JimNasium 07:20 PM 01-17-2005
Originally Posted by Phobia:
You're screwed. You should just drink it now.
I agree with Phobia. You're screwed. You should send it to me and I will dispose of it for you. :-)
[Reply]
Dartgod 07:21 AM 01-18-2005
Still nothing this morning. I'm starting to get very discouraged. I guess I'll throw in another package of yeast if it's not happeneing when I get home tonight?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 20
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up