ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 20
< 12 345612 > Last »
The Lounge>Home brew
Dartgod 10:46 AM 01-16-2005
I know there are some other home brewers on here; Bwana and TJ for starters.

I'm brewing my first batch ever today. It's a German wheat. Looking forward to tasting this bad boy in about a month! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Dartgod 12:20 PM 01-16-2005
Well, I finished the boil and no boil over. So I guess that's a good thing.

The wort is in an ice bath now.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:22 PM 01-16-2005
send me over a couple of growlers
[Reply]
JimNasium 12:22 PM 01-16-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Well, I finished the boil and no boil over. So I guess that's a good thing.

The wort is in an ice bath now.
Kewl. The hard part is out of the way. Are you using buckets or carboys? Single stage ferment or do you plan on transferring to secondary?
[Reply]
Dartgod 12:31 PM 01-16-2005
Originally Posted by JimNasium:
Kewl. The hard part is out of the way. Are you using buckets or carboys? Single stage ferment or do you plan on transferring to secondary?
Primary in a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket and secondary in a 5 gallon glass carboy.

One more question. Do I put the little plastic cap on the airlock? It looks like the one on the right:



Do any of you guys post on any home brew forums? I think I found a good on here:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/
[Reply]
RedNFeisty 12:53 PM 01-16-2005
Originally Posted by Phobia:
A double chocolate stout doesn't exactly come with a Hersheys label.
I don't normally drink beer, I was being facetious!
[Reply]
mlyonsd 01:04 PM 01-16-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Primary in a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket and secondary in a 5 gallon glass carboy.

One more question. Do I put the little plastic cap on the airlock? It looks like the one on the right:



Do any of you guys post on any home brew forums? I think I found a good on here:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/
I've never seen one like the one on the right. Mine is like the one on the left and yes, the cap is used. I use vodka as the liquid in the air lock.
[Reply]
Dartgod 01:10 PM 01-16-2005
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
I've never seen one like the one on the right. Mine is like the one on the left and yes, the cap is used. I use vodka as the liquid in the air lock.
Oh, that's a good idea. I found the answer and i do leave the cap on.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 01:15 PM 01-16-2005
One other thing I'll point out that's just my opinion....I age my beer a lot longer then some. I have found that I like mine to age at least two or three months. Some brews have a pretty sharp taste to them until they age long enough.

Like I said, that's just me and you'll have to see what you think on your own.
[Reply]
JimNasium 02:06 PM 01-16-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Primary in a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket and secondary in a 5 gallon glass carboy.

One more question. Do I put the little plastic cap on the airlock? It looks like the one on the right:



Do any of you guys post on any home brew forums? I think I found a good on here:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/
Two that I have found and participate in:

www.brewboard.com
www.beeradvocate.com
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:18 PM 01-16-2005
Originally Posted by JimNasium:
Two that I have found and participate in:

www.brewboard.com
www.beeradvocate.com
Thanks, I've added those to my favorites.

It's in the fermentor now. The yeast has been in for about an hour now. Just waiting for some action now.

BTW, I used White Labs liquid yeast and it said to pitch when wort was 70-75 degrees. I pitched at 76. Is that going to be ok?
[Reply]
mlyonsd 02:20 PM 01-16-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Thanks, I've added those to my favorites.

It's in the fermentor now. The yeast has been in for about an hour now. Just waiting for some action now.

BTW, I used White Labs liquid yeast and it said to pitch when wort was 70-75 degrees. I pitched at 76. Is that going to be ok?
Well, you probably just killed the yeast and wasted all of your afternoon.

Just kidding, you should be fine.
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:22 PM 01-16-2005
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
Well, you probably just killed the yeast and wasted all of your afternoon.

Just kidding, you should be fine.
OK, I just poured the batch out. I'll start again next week.

EDIT: D'oh!! I just read the first sentence and figured it was ruined. Now I've wasted the whole thing! :-) :-)





:-)
[Reply]
JimNasium 02:25 PM 01-16-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Thanks, I've added those to my favorites.

It's in the fermentor now. The yeast has been in for about an hour now. Just waiting for some action now.

BTW, I used White Labs liquid yeast and it said to pitch when wort was 70-75 degrees. I pitched at 76. Is that going to be ok?
I think you'll be fine. I usually wait until it's under 70 degress but I also have the luxury of a wort chiller. My guess is that you'll see some activity within the next twelve hours. Active fermentation is a wonderful thing.
[Reply]
redhed 02:56 PM 01-16-2005
Just make sure everything is clean!!
Nothing like coming up with a great recipe, only to have it come out like crap 'cuz you didn't get everything sanitized.... awww man....

Prolly the top five beers I've ever had were all home brews. With #6 being a beer that tastes like home brew...Sammy Smith's Winter Welcome Ale.
Or maybe Chimay.
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:59 PM 01-16-2005
Originally Posted by redhed:
Just make sure everything is clean!!
Nothing like coming up with a great recipe, only to have it come out like crap 'cuz you didn't get everything sanitized.... awww man.....
Yeah, I was VERY careful about that. Sanitized the hell out of everything.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 20
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up