ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Bears declining Mitchell Trubisky's fifth-year option
alanm 04:41 PM 05-02-2020
http://http://www.nfl.com/news/story...fthyear-option

WOW!! Bears are turning the page after 3 yrs. :-)
[Reply]
Tombstone RJ 05:39 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I'd like to see him play somewhere else before I label him a bust.
Trubisky is a bust. Taken #2 overall in the 2017 draft and Chicago has nothing to show for it. Mahomes is the standard by which all the other QBs taken in the 2017 draft will be graded. Trubisky looks like garbage compared to Mahomes.
[Reply]
tredadda 05:42 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Passepartout:
Seems like Mitchell is a bust unfortunately but hope that he can really get another chance.
Simply based on where he was drafted and his talent level he will have a long career albeit as a journeyman backup QB. There is always a market for guys like that. Decent money with little expectation besides coming in and winning for a short time if the starting QB goes down.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:46 PM 05-03-2020
If he gets picked up by a HOF coach with an elite defense and completely neuters his style of play he could be the next Alex Smith.
[Reply]
eDave 05:48 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
If he gets picked up by a HOF coach with an elite defense and completely neuters his style of play he could be the next Alex Smith.
:-)
[Reply]
Tombstone RJ 05:50 PM 05-03-2020
Dak Prescott has a real shot at being the next Alex Smith...
[Reply]
Skyy God 05:54 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Lol, nah.

Playstyle can’t get more neutered.
[Reply]
Why Not? 05:56 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I'd like to see him play somewhere else before I label him a bust.
He may never be quite the bust in the traditional sense of an Akili Smith or a Jamarcus Russel but he’ll forever be the QB that wasn’t Mahomes in the 2017 draft, unless Trubisky somehow ends up winning(not being on a team but being the guy for that team)at least a SB. In a sense it’s kinda like Rodgers and Alex Smith. The “gap” has closed over the years because Smith carved out at least a decent to slightly above average career and because no one likes Rodgers but for years Smith was looked at as a bust because he wasn’t Rodgers. Again before any Smith haters talk shit, I’m not saying he was great or anything near it, I’m just saying he wasn’t Rodgers and that will forever be held against him in some way. I’ve certainly seen plenty of worse QB’s than Trubisky in my life and as you point out, a change of scenery and some different coaching may make a big difference, but he’ll never be Pat and therefore will always be kind of a “bust”.

EDIT: I should say that it has a chance to be like Rogers and Smith. Trubisky will have to improve significantly to even be on Smith’s tier.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:54 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ:
Dak Prescott has a real shot at being the next Alex Smith...
Dak is the opposite of Alex Smith.
[Reply]
DRM08 08:08 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58:
Half of the 2017 draft Top 10 picks had their fifth-year options declined

The Top 10 of the 2017 NFL draft had some notable misses.

That’s why half of the Top 10 picks had their fifth-year options declined. Generally speaking, a player who has performed up to expectations will have his fifth-year option picked up, while a player who has fallen short will have his option declined. And by that measure, half of the Top 10 fell short.

Second overall pick Mitch Trubisky, third overall pick Solomon Thomas, fourth overall pick Leonard Fournette, fifth overall pick Corey Davis and ninth overall pick John Ross all had their options declined. First overall pick Myles Garrett, sixth overall pick Jamal Adams, seventh overall pick Mike Williams and 10th overall pick Patrick Mahomes all had their options picked up. Eighth overall pick Christian McCaffrey got a contract extension before the fifth-year option deadline.

Top 10 picks have more expensive fifth-year options than picks 11-32. The fifth-year salary for Top 10 picks is equal to the average of the 10 highest salaries at that player’s position, whereas for players 11-32, the fifth-year option is the average of the third through 25th highest salaries at the position. For example, Mahomes’ fifth-year option is $24.8 million, while 12th overall pick Deshaun Watson’s fifth-year option is $17.5 million. That means Top 10 picks have to really produce for their options to be worth it.

Looming over the 2017 draft Top 10 is Mahomes, who through three years already has both a regular season MVP and a Super Bowl MVP to his credit. If they’re being honest, all nine teams that passed on Mahomes would say they regret it. But the five teams who passed on Mahomes just to draft a player whose option wasn’t picked up are the ones really kicking themselves.
For some reason people always let the Buffalo Bills off the hook. It was 10 teams that chose to not draft Mahomes when you include Buffalo.
[Reply]
Skyy God 08:15 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
For some reason people always let the Buffalo Bills off the hook. It was 10 teams that chose to not draft Mahomes when you include Buffalo.
Yeah, expect they drafted a quality CB at 27 and got the ammo to move up for Allen.

Bills did ok.
[Reply]
DRM08 08:18 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
Yeah, expect they drafted a quality CB at 27 and got the ammo to move up for Allen.

Bills did ok.
They're not better off. I know their fans are still trying to convince themselves that Allen will turn into Mahomes at some point. I don't see it. He will always have accuracy issues and decision-making issues.
[Reply]
Skyy God 08:26 PM 05-03-2020
They're not better off. I know their fans are still trying to convince themselves that Allen will turn into Mahomes at some point. I don't see it. He will always have accuracy issues and decision-making issues.
Where did I say they were better off?

They’re just not in Trubs, Thomas, Corey Davis, John fucking Ross territory.
[Reply]
DRM08 08:34 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
Where did I say they were better off?

They’re just not in Trubs, Thomas, Corey Davis, John ****ing Ross territory.
Same statement applies to the Panthers and Jets. They landed damn good players in that draft. The comment I responded to said that all 9 teams who passed on Mahomes are regretting it, even the Panthers/Jets. But I think Buffalo regrets it too, even if a lot of their fans are still in denial. This is the comment I was responding to:

"If they’re honest, all nine teams that passed on Mahomes would say they regret it."
[Reply]
Skyy God 08:42 PM 05-03-2020
Same statement applies to the Panthers and Jets. They landed damn good players in that draft. The comment I responded to said that all 9 teams who passed on Mahomes are regretting it, even the Panthers/Jets. But I think Buffalo regrets it too, even if a lot of their fans are still in denial. This is the comment I was responding to:

"If they’re honest, all nine teams that passed on Mahomes would say they regret it."
Literally all 31 other teams regret passing on (or not trading up for) PM2.

This isn’t insight.
[Reply]
scho63 09:11 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I thought it was because of his coke habit in college.
Originally Posted by Flying High D:
Thought there were rumors of drug use by pick #27.
Started by several people who wanted him to drop.

This bullshit happens every year to one or two players. :-)
[Reply]
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Up