ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 115 of 219
« First < 1565105111112113114115 116117118119125165215 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Science is Cool....
Fish 09:43 PM 05-21-2012
This is a repository for all cool scientific discussion and fascination. Scientific facts, theories, and overall cool scientific stuff that you'd like to share with others. Stuff that makes you smile and wonder at the amazing shit going on around us, that most people don't notice.

Post pictures, vidoes, stories, or links. Ask questions. Share science.

Why should I care?:

[Reply]
alnorth 09:23 AM 03-18-2014
Originally Posted by Fish:
I'm not sure what's up with Cosmos. Not what I expected at all. How could they **** this up?
What's up with you? That 2nd episode was great.
[Reply]
alnorth 05:41 PM 03-18-2014
Originally Posted by hometeam:
Cant believe this thread hasn't been updated with this yet, its all over the place, top of reddit etc.

http://www.space.com/25078-universe-...discovery.html
Here's a video of the reaction from the scientist who came up with the Big Bang theory, when he was pretty much told that he was correct. (his wife is a physicist, so she understood what he was saying)

[Reply]
WhiteWhale 05:52 PM 03-18-2014
Originally Posted by alnorth:
Here's a video of the reaction from the scientist who came up with the Big Bang theory, when he was pretty much told that he was correct. (his wife is a physicist, so she understood what he was saying)

Since people here love to bitch about religion and science, I thought I'd post this:

Notice anything about Lemaitre's (who first started theorizing about the expanding universe) garb?
[Reply]
Fish 06:06 PM 03-18-2014
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Since people here love to bitch about religion and science, I thought I'd post this:

Notice anything about Lemaitre's (who first started theorizing about the expanding universe) garb?
Note that he was also fiercely insistent on keeping religion and science separate.
[Reply]
go bo 06:57 PM 03-18-2014
Note that he was also fiercely insistent on keeping religion and science separate.
hmm, he was obviously schizophrenic...

or was it eminently rational?

"you be the judge" !!
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 06:34 PM 03-19-2014
Man, that was a solid episode. Great show for the kids.
[Reply]
J Diddy 07:30 PM 03-19-2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa9YUDNHobE

I felt that this NSFW video is vital to the science conversation.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 07:33 PM 03-19-2014
I also understand that many great breakthroughs in science have come at the hands of people trying to find god as well.

I simply think people who say that religion has done nothing but hinder science are wrong and there are countless examples.

I also like to point out to fundie christians who hate the big bang theory where it originated from. It amuses me on multiple levels. :-)
[Reply]
J Diddy 07:37 PM 03-19-2014
I also understand that many great breakthroughs in science have come at the hands of people trying to find god as well.

I simply think people who say that religion has done nothing but hinder science are wrong.

I also like to point out to fundie christians who hate the big bang theory where it originated from. So it amuses me on multiple levels. :-)
I would disagree. Religion is built around the premise that the bible is the word of God. God is infallible and therefore his word cannot be incorrect.

The truth of the matter is this: Perhaps God is infallible but our own egos are preventing us from seeing that we can be wrong in our interpretation.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 07:38 PM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by Dick Bull:
I would disagree. Religion is built around the premise that the bible is the word of God. God is infallible and therefore his word cannot be incorrect.

The truth of the matter is this: Perhaps God is infallible but our own egos are preventing us from seeing that we can be wrong in our interpretation.
You can disagree, but the reality is that many religious people have made far greater contributions to science than you have.

Such as the theory of an expanding universe.

Look, I'm an unapologetic atheist, so I don't really even understand the point you are making. I don't tell the pope how to pray and I don't tell astronomers how much smarter I am than they. If they can reconcile the two, why the hell should I have a problem with that?

What, exactly, are you disagreeing with? You do realize not every christian is a fundie right?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:38 PM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Man, that was a solid episode. Great show for the kids.
I thought the 2nd episode was way better than the first. A little deeper dive into the science but still entertaining and I bet still kept kids attention.

This show is going to make a difference in science. There are kids sitting at home watching this going...........being a scientist might be cool. Science is pretty interesting.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 07:42 PM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I thought the 2nd episode was way better than the first. A little deeper dive into the science but still entertaining and I bet still kept kids attention.

This show is going to make a difference in science. There are kids sitting at home watching this going...........being a scientist might be cool. Science is pretty interesting.
Good. We need people to develop a passion for science, because America is getting creamed in this department.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:57 PM 03-19-2014
Good. We need people to develop a passion for science, because America is getting creamed in this department.
I think it is turning. My kid and Mr. Kotters kid gave up athletics to pursue academics. I'm sure they are not alone. I'm hearing this more often. Maybe its a trend? This shows impact may not be truly known for 10 years or more.

I'm hopeful that America will start to value Science again.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:59 PM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I think it is turning. My kid and Mr. Kotters kid gave up athletics to pursue academics. I'm sure they are not alone. I'm hearing this more often. Maybe its a trend? This shows impact may not be truly known for 10 years or more.

I'm hopeful that America will start to value Science again.
America values iPods and teen moms.
[Reply]
Fish 08:00 PM 03-19-2014

I simply think people who say that religion has done nothing but hinder science are wrong and there are countless examples.

I also like to point out to fundie christians who hate the big bang theory where it originated from. It amuses me on multiple levels. :-)
I can agree with that. I just thought it was ironic that to show science and religion can coexist, you chose a person who once told the Pope to :-) about the Big Bang because it might make the church look foolish. A guy who was passionately adamant about the separation of church and science.

Science and religion can certainly coexist. The only time you'll ever hear me protest is when religion is presented as competition to science in regards to explaining the physics of the universe.
[Reply]
Page 115 of 219
« First < 1565105111112113114115 116117118119125165215 > Last »
Up